Author Topic: POP QUIZ: Which saves more gas?  (Read 4579 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
POP QUIZ: Which saves more gas?
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
Which choice saves more gas?

upgrading from a 16mpg vehicle to 20 mpg?

going from a 35-mpg to a hybrid that gets 50 mpg?

I'll give you a hint:  Figure out all 4 choices in the gallons per mile that they get.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: POP QUIZ: Which saves more gas?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »
The 16mpg to 20 mpg upgrade, obviously.  The 16mpg vehicle uses so much more gas that even a smaller improvement in its efficiency will yield better results than will improving in the already-efficient 35 mpg vehicle.

Rule #1 of efficiency improvement:  Improve the low efficiency items first.  There is more to be gained by bringing a low-efficiency item up slightly than there is in bringing a high-efficiency item up significantly.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:23:43 AM »
Dagnabbit, I know you guys were too smart for this.

Here, I'll illustrate:

a 16mpg car takes 6.25 gallons to go 100 miles
A 20mpg car takes 5 gallons to go 100 miles, a savings of 1.25 gallons.

A 35mpg car takes aprox 2.9 gallons to go 100 miles
a 50 mpg car takes 2 gallons to go 100 miles, only saving you 0.9 gallons.

Gallons per 100miles = 100/MPG

I used this on my wife to explain why getting rid of my 25mpg infiniti for a 30mpg car, when i'm upside down on the infiniti is a bad idea.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
Might also have to consider if the 16mpg "car" is paid for, has lifetime license plates paid up, liability insurance costs very little, and is simple and cheap to maintain.  undecided

Just the license and insurance alone on our newer car negates all or most of the gas savings - unless we start driving an awful lot more  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
Some one has been listening to National Public Radio...

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »
If I could afford to buy a Prius, I am sure I would have the money to pay for the gas for my paid up car.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 07:07:50 AM »
Rule #1 of efficiency improvement:  Improve the low efficiency items first.  There is more to be gained by bringing a low-efficiency item up slightly than there is in bringing a high-efficiency item up significantly.

This is why I piss off the greenies quite often when I talk about making trucks and SUVs hybrids first makes sense.  Noooo...  They want them to give UP functionality first.

Talked with a UPS guy yesterday, as a matter of fact.  I mentioned that I had read about them buying hybrid trucks - he said that they're going in everywhere, but that our area (ND), would be getting them last.  To the point that they're sending the old non-hybrids to us.

My conclusions:
1.  Hybrids make sense for UPS
2.  Hybrids make more sense in more southern areas, especially where gas prices are higher
3.  It doesn't make sense, yet, to replace trucks faster than attrition.

Other candidates that I'll let buy hybrids first:  Taxis, inner city drivers, etc...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »
And the question from the other side of the coin....

Which saves you more money?

Keeping a reliable, paid-for vehicle that gets 15 mpg or spending $30,000 on one that get's 50 mpg?

@15000 miles per year and $4 gal fuel:

15 mpg = $334/mo in fuel
Estimate $208/mo in maintenance and repairs ($2500/yr)
Total monthly expense = $542

50 mpg = $100/mo in fuel
Payment (6 yr @ 5.9%) = $495.77/mo
Total monthly expense = $596

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »

That doesn't mean that the car companies shouldn't offer the 50 mpg vehicle, just that people will buy them as their older vehicles either become unmaintainable, shock their owner with a $3k rebuild, no longer meeting needs, or just get totaled in an accident, whether it be the driver's fault or not.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

That doesn't mean that the car companies shouldn't offer the 50 mpg vehicle, just that people will buy them as their older vehicles either become unmaintainable, shock their owner with a $3k rebuild, no longer meeting needs, or just get totaled in an accident, whether it be the driver's fault or not.

Yeah, I know.

This was a little jab at the folks buy another car solely because of fuel economy.  They brag about how much their fuel savings but never give a second thought to that shiny new payment attached to it.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
Maintenance and repairs on our old Suburban aren't anywhere near $208 month  undecided

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
Estimate $208/mo in maintenance and repairs ($2500/yr)
If your paying that much for maintenance it's time to buy a later, not necessarily new, model car.

I will agree that is still cheaper than the payments on a new car.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
I will agree that is still cheaper than the payments on a new car.

In my case, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, new cars are actually cheaper for me than 'newer used'.

The reason is the lower interest rate I get with the new vehicle.  They don't chop enough off the price of a used one to cover the extra interest.

Things would be different if I'd managed to keep my car long enough to build up enough for a cash payment.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Maintenance and repairs on our old Suburban aren't anywhere near $208 month  undecided

Right now there are huge incentives on trucks and SUVs, and used prices are going down.. down.. down.  I'm seeing clean 2001-2003 model 4wd 3/4- and 1-ton trucks (base trim) selling at auction for under 10k.  10k financed for 3yrs @ 9% would mean payments of $318.

Brad
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
my friend said he heard an ad on the radio for Toyota Tundras (new I guess) for $200/mo for like either 2 or 3 years. I'd like o track it down because at prices like that I'd buy one.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
my friend said he heard an ad on the radio for Toyota Tundras (new I guess) for $200/mo for like either 2 or 3 years. I'd like o track it down because at prices like that I'd buy one.

Probably a lease that includes a very large down payment.  With very few exceptions leases are the single worst way to own a vehicle.  Plus, that low "payment" usually doesn't cover the property tax bill you get to pay at the end of the lease period.

Brad
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »
Leasing is good if you're the "trade in every 2-3 years" type, but bad for most people (esp. if you drive a lot).

You can do better buying used (3y.o. cars or less) if you can check them thoroughly first. Esp. if you buy previously-leased vehicles.... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
Leasing is good if you're the "trade in every 2-3 years" type

I wouldn't even do it then.  All you are really doing is continually paying the first year's depreciation.  Again, single most costly way to own a vehicle.

If you're going to trade every couple of years, go for a 2 yr old trade-in.  Let someone else take that 25-30% up-front hickey.

Brad
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »
If you're going to trade every couple of years, go for a 2 yr old trade-in.  Let someone else take that 25-30% up-front hickey.

The only problem with this is that without people buying the new cars, you'd never get your 2 year old trade in.  If more people take your advice, the value of a 2 yr old car will rise to the point that the new vehicle is actually a better deal.

Happened to my parents not too long ago.  Happened to me.  Matter of fact, my grandfather recently bought a new truck for less than he bought a used truck for four years ago.

Sometimes the used vehicle market just gets overvalued.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
Leasing is good if you're the "trade in every 2-3 years" type

I wouldn't even do it then.  All you are really doing is continually paying the first year's depreciation.  Again, single most costly way to own a vehicle.

I forget who it was, but someone once said that cars are the only things that rich people rent, and poor people buy.  Leasing a car is almost never economically smart.