Author Topic: A swim too far.  (Read 4567 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
A swim too far.
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:44:29 AM »
Found on Neal Boortz's website.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S529469.shtml?cat=1

Mpls. man cited for swimming across Lake Nokomis

A Minneapolis man went for a swim in Lake Nokomis Tuesday night, only to find Minneapolis Park Police waiting for him when he got out. Officers cited 41-year-old Tom Kleven for swimming too far.

Kleven, who is training for a triathlon later this year, said he was attempting to swim shore-to-shore around 7:30 p.m.

He said he was half way across the lake when a lifeguard ordered him to turn around. When he got back to shore, Kleven said police were waiting for him.

"I kind of asked them, 'am I the person to be reprimanded?' and they said 'probably...you're the person to be fined,' said Kleven.

Officers cited him for misdemeanor unauthorized beach-swim.

Kleven faces a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

"We should be allowed to swim in the lake wherever we want to," said Kleven.

The Minneapolis Park Board rules state anyone who wants to swim across the lake needs to get a $115 permit so a lifeguard and boat can follow them.

"We're really concerned about everybody's safety," said Minneapolis Park Police Sgt. Fred McCormick.

Since the offense is a misdemeanor, Kleven, who is a physician in St. Paul, will have to report the incident every time he renews his license.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: A swim too far.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:02 AM »
Duh.  Being a triathlete is clearly only an option for people who have both the cash and the expendable time to give the state their fair share. 

Sure, athletics is fine, but can't he put a treadmill in his basement like the rest of us?  After all, we want him to be safe.  undecided

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
Is there a "no swimming" sign posted at the beach?

Was the "lifeguard" an LEO?

Just sounds like another story from "The State Where Absolutely Nothing Is Allowed."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
i'm reminded of the time the us park police arrested a guy who was in the top 5 kayakers in the world for being on the water when they thought it was unsafe. of course to arrest him a cop in full uniform plunged in to drag him from his boat. was kinda funny in a sad way the cop that jumped in was a world class putz. had 2 classic run ins with him 10 years apart
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
Remember, you're not being oppressed. Not at all.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
A stoopid law to be sure.  But when you break a law and get caught, what do you expect is going to happen?

Smarter to find a lake without any asinine nanny laws.  It is Minnesota, after all.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
I didn't gather that he even knew about the law. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
"Ignorance of the law is not an excuse."

I've heard that since I was a small child, and that was ... awhile ago. Didn't seem right then, doesn't seem right now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
Ah government.  Every single thing or action known to man in their minds = give us some $$.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
"Ignorance of the law is not an excuse."

I've heard that since I was a small child, and that was ... awhile ago. Didn't seem right then, doesn't seem right now.
It was in response to HTG's comment. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »
Unbelieveable. Here I was thinking I lived in a country whose government wanted to regulate my unhealthiness, and then we fine a guy for super-human accomplishments.

Excuse me, I have to go finish my quadruple cheeseburger.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
"We're really concerned about everybody's safety," said Minneapolis Park Police Sgt. Fred McCormick.

No, he's really a vicious little busybody.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »
Is there a "no swimming" sign posted at the beach?

Was the "lifeguard" an LEO?

Just sounds like another story from "The State Where Absolutely Nothing Is Allowed."

Except extremism. That's allowed, because we have to be tolerant of other cultures. (Minneapolis is, of course, the home of the no-alcohol no-service-dogs cab drivers and the can't-touch-bacon Target cashier) But you must be protected from yourself!