Author Topic: Interesting story about truck drivers  (Read 4573 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Interesting story about truck drivers
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/126619568.html

Wow, this really made me think.  Although as far as I can tell on Washington freeways, not all the trucks have governors, based on them being on my tail at 75 mph.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Interesting story about truck drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Yep, sucky job. I think there is still a place for a smart owner/operator. Failing that, a set haul like a Fed-ex run. Or the stuff no one else can do like permit loads that are really weird. I think a good job would be the guys that haul nuke material for the government. I think I could pass the TS and lifestyle poly, but not sure.

Surely the golden age of trucking has passed. Lots more deaths, more than a few cocaine cowboys, but it was something to see a Kenworth longnose getting down the interstate pushing 100. When I was a kid, I rode with my dad in his B-Model Mack race car hauler, he generally kept it topped out at 79 with the radar detector on. No need, we'd get passed like we'd set anchor by some of those trucks,
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Yeah...I imagine what the writer is saying is true in his specific situation, but it's certainly not the standard.  I see truckers going 70-75 all the time in Oregon, where the speed limit for truckers is 55 at max.   In Nevada, where trucks don't have different speed limits, I see them doing 75-80, just like everyone else.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »
Yeah...I imagine what the writer is saying is true in his specific situation, but it's certainly not the standard.  I see truckers going 70-75 all the time in Oregon, where the speed limit for truckers is 55 at max.   In Nevada, where trucks don't have different speed limits, I see them doing 75-80, just like everyone else.

No one said that it was the standard, but most of your large company fleet trucks are governed in the 65mph range. Some are lower (I've heard as low as 62mph) some are a bit higher. Fuel efficiency is the name of the game.

And the allowable hours for drivers is also really messed up. The electronic log, however, is a benefit in that the company can't force the driver to fudge his logs...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »
Oh, brother, not again, please!  I avoid truck stops and other truck drivers, in part, to spare myself further exposure to two classes of stories. 

The first is the TRUCKER TRIUMPHANT, the driver who has just given the dispatcher, the cop, the truck inspector, the shipper, or the receiver righteous hell for some largely imaginary transgression, putting that person in his or her place, and demonstrating the driver's vast superiority. 

The second is the TRUCKER AS ATLAS, carrying the world on his long suffering back, as exemplified by the linked article.  Sorry folks, the trucking industry does not have a draft, we all volunteered.

As to governed speeds, there are two major factors other than fuel economy in play.  Foremost in my life as a driver at the moment is CSA 2010, a federal program assigning points to driver's licenses for all manor of failures, by which a driver may easily make himself unemployable.  The other factor is insurance premiums.  When too many of my coworkers got speeding tickets over too short a time, my employer's response was to cut back top speeds.  Insurance premiums should not need explaining.  Fleet aggregate CSA scores figure heavily in a safety rating that shippers pay attention to.  Let that safety rating get too low and some of my companies best accounts are likely to go elsewhere.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
You can improve fuel economy (pounds/mile/gallon) by hauling heavier loads  ;)

I cut trees for a guy who hauled about 80 miles to a sawmill, no scales.

He had a KW with a 13 and a 4: 54 possible forward gears.

He had to be careful on warm days, though - or he would leave ruts in the asphalt  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »
I cut trees for a guy who hauled about 80 miles to a sawmill, no scales.

The popo has portable scales and I'm seeing an ever increasing presence of state transport officers in my area (we are a good distance away from the interstates, so truck traffic has to come through these highways to get to the area industries)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »
The popo has portable scales and I'm seeing an ever increasing presence of state transport officers in my area (we are a good distance away from the interstates, so truck traffic has to come through these highways to get to the area industries)

This was 30+ years ago in northern New Mexico.  It was pretty wild country back then.  Only place that I ever routinely knowingly speeded.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
I spent several seasons on the onion and garlic harvest.  When we were confident of reaching hte dehydration plant without crossing a CHP scale, we hauled some insane overloads.  That came to a screeching halt when California passed legislation allowing the CHP to inspect payment records well after the fact.  Get paid for hauling 125,000 gross, pay the fine for that extra 45,000.  That change came in the late '70s. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
A guy on another site lost a relative to a truck driver that crossed the interstate median on no-dose and hit them head on.  Supposedly, the truck driver got off because all his fellows lied for him that he wasn't driving for 24 hours straight. 

I talked to a guy at a shop near Houston who said he used to drive trucks and did a run from the Rio Grande valley to Houston.  He said it was common to make repeated run on little sleep with a doctored driving log. 

It wasn't all that long ago that an operator at one of our plants was hit near the plant by a driver on no-dose. 

I am all for drivers having a freedoms and such, but a lot of the restrictions on them were put there because way too many drivers were basically being negligent.  In addition, I think it is a common problem put to students in civil engineering at the school I went to on the cost benefit analysis of allowing heavy truck loads and eating the wear and tear on roads versus restricting truck weights down well below current rules.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »
This was 30+ years ago in northern New Mexico.  It was pretty wild country back then.  Only place that I ever routinely knowingly speeded.

Up around Las Vegas / Mora, maybe?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
I drove for a few years in the early 90's.

Best gig: Hauling heavy equipment locally. Saves a lot of time/effort to be able to drive your load right off the trailer. =D
Worst gig: Dead tie between delivering beer and wine / hauling flyash from a powerplant in N.C.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »
Up around Las Vegas / Mora, maybe?

Brad

Actually, yeah - north of Mora.

They were hauling into Cimarron.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
Interesting article.  I think the bigger picture is the one it paints about American business in general.  They are all short term thinkesr who are penny wise and dollar foolish.  We have an elite corps of executives and investors who keep their multi-million $ earning in tact, while destroying the fabric of business and society.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
Lee,

Could you show your work, please? 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
Actually, yeah - north of Mora.

They were hauling into Cimarron.

Love the country.  Black Lake, Ocate, Tres Ritos, La Queva.  Treks to Angel Fire and Red River were pretty much annual requirements when I was a kid, and traveling there meant 8 or 9 hours stuck in the back end of the station wagon with nothing more than a couple of quilts for comfort and a comic book for entertainment.  That 90 miles of flat, straight 55-mph nothing between Clayton and Springer made my parents crazy (mostly because us kids, who'd been stuck in the back of the wagon for about 7 hours by then, had the "are we there yets" playing on endless loop =D ).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
It was on an old Spanish land grant just north of Guadalapita.

Strange country - I gave a ~18 yo kid a ride north out of Mora to their ranch, and he said that he'd never been out of that valley.

Not much snow, so you could log all winter.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
My dad used to be a truck driver, and a small company owner. If it wasn't for the constant onslaught of regulation, he would absolutely have at least a dozen trucks running. As it is, he's down to one. It's just not worth it for the small guys anymore, with the constantly increasing regulation and competition with the big fleets who can afford the regulations.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
Sounds like the .gov at work doing its best to kill the little guy.

One of my brothers drives. Last I heard he wasn't maiking it home but every 6 weeks.

dad was a dispatcher and a driver lived next door in the 60's. I remember the driver dude talking about trips in the number of "bennies" it would take, as in, "That's a two bennie trip."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
I wonder if organized crime (drugs) are still laundering money through the trucking industry.  I was told by an old LE friend who went into transportation management that a lot of little guys got shoved out of business due to government and the other criminals who were laundering money by undercutting shipping costs.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw