Author Topic: Tentative Thanksgiving menu...  (Read 4576 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Tentative Thanksgiving menu...
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 04:03:31 PM »
Sounds good to me.

As to turkey, we always had it. Grandparents on both sides, one set Italian/English and the other straight up German, were always the hosts and with the exception of one grandparent all had parents themselves who stepped off the boat. And well, turkey is what Americans have damnit!

But that doesn't mean we can't also have braschole. And sausage. And meatballs. And lasanga. And rolladen. And krustenbraten. And dumplings. And sauerkraut. And most every dumpling known to man. And potato salad. But come hell or high water, someone was going to stuff some bread up a turkeys ass and roast it. No wonder I was a fat kid.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
OP:

That is a fine menu. 

Then at least your potato salad is edible.

Amen.  Mayo tater salad is awful.

And my sauerkraut can conquer France.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My son loves the sauerkraut that I cook up with sausage, taters, caraway seed, and beer.  And a little bacon grease, well, because.  He said he wants to learn how to make it from fresh cabbage.  I told him I'd help, but if he gets the wild idea to ferment or pickle fish after a successful krautening to count me out.

====================

Wife & kids really like it when I stuff the turkey with kraut, onions, caraway seed and a heavy proportion of finely chopped granny smith apples. 

This year, there will be no Thanksgiving turkey, as I expect we will eat some of the feral hogs my dad, my son, and I hope to bag in the days before Thanksgiving.  Christmas will likely feature turkey, though.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

In fairness to my Eye-talian in-laws, they generally do have turkey on Thanksgiving. There was just that one year...

http://www.foodiggity.com/behold-the-cthurkey-an-octupus-stuffed-turkey-with-crab-legs/

Kill it with fire. And then blow up the incinerator.

Then dust off, and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Those things look positively disgusting...

I suspect that all of it's processed.

Turkey roll, box stuffing, jarred gravy.

I'd rather eat dirt.
I make the stuffing and gravy. Usually just get some thick sliced turkey from the deli.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
I never updated this after T-giving...

The meal was a big success. I made some last minute changes, and the cider reduction sauce was a big, wasted effort, but overall, very tasty.

The star of the meal, though? The au gratin potatoes. I used this recipe:

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-potatoes-au-gratin/

It was, to put it mildly, absolutely freaking awesome, to the point where my brother was asking me to make them again at Christmas (sorry, gotta have mashed taters with turkey).

The crockpot worked perfectly. I'll be making these again, soon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.