Author Topic: Guns and "The Purge"  (Read 4569 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Guns and "The Purge"
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:51:49 AM »
As I'm not one for slasher/horror/ultra-violence movies, I've never bothered to see any of the "Purge" franchise. The below review whine piqued my curiousity a little bit.

Trigger warning: hoplophobic hand-wringing and mindless NRA-bashing
http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/violent-worship-the-hypocrisy-of-the-purge-films

Do the purge films take a political position on the right to self-defense? Or is it all just mindless stupidity? Or both?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Guns and "The Purge"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
Seemed like mindless violence to me, but the closest I got to watching them was the Cinema Sins youtube video on them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/whr46paU4iY
Everything Wrong With The Purge In 13 Minutes Or Less
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
Many years ago I bought a cheap VHS tape of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."  It was (IMHO) such a bad, disgusting, sick, pointless piece of overly violent  &**$ I erased the videotape and repurposed it.  I know there's been a remake and I will NOT see it.
I've heard of "The Purge," and that it now has a sequel (geeee, thanks Hollywood:  you really CAN'T think of anything new, can you?) and I strongly fear that these are the same kind of movie the Texas Chainsaw **** was .... and I won't be watching.
If it's antigun or anti NRA .... I dunno.  It may be, but that's "par for the course" these days.
You can't let EVERYTHING Hollywierd does get under your skin. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
Yeah, NRA was behind creating The Purge movies.

If a purge ever comes about, I know who I'm going to purge first...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »

That is why I think it is a liberal concept.  They just want a way to get their crazy out periodically with no consequences.  They don't seem to follow the consequences through. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
I seem to remember a story we read in class in grade school where some town had an annual event.  At the event, one person would be selected by lottery and every else would stone them to death.  Supposedly everyone behaved the rest of the year so it was a good thing.  It was typically 'ends justify the means' gibberish.  Hearing about the Purge movie reminded me of that story.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »

The director/writer said the whole movie was supposed to be an argument of hyperbole against what he thinks the NRA wants America to be like with everyone armed. But the reviewers are blasting him for immediately and hypocritically milking violence like any other horror or action movie.

In the review/editorial fistful linked to, the author seemed rather peeved the audience was cheering the violence, and that the movie seems to have sort of an "All in the Family"/Archie Bunker effect.  :rofl:
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
In the review/editorial fistful linked to, the author seemed rather peeved the audience was cheering the violence, and that the movie seems to have sort of an "All in the Family"/Archie Bunker effect.  :rofl:

That reminds me of an old interview with Sam Peckinpah.  He claimed that the gratuitous violence in his films was supposed to repulse the audience, and he was annoyed that it excited the viewers instead.

Or maybe it was Stanley Kubrick talking about A Clockwork Orange.  Whatever.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
The director/writer said the whole movie was supposed to be an argument of hyperbole against what he thinks the NRA wants America to be like with everyone armed. But the reviewers are blasting him for immediately and hypocritically milking violence like any other horror or action movie.

In the review/editorial fistful linked to, the author seemed rather peeved the audience was cheering the violence, and that the movie seems to have sort of an "All in the Family"/Archie Bunker effect.  :rofl:

Yeah, I know... I was being sardonic...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
I seem to remember a story we read in class in grade school where some town had an annual event.  At the event, one person would be selected by lottery and every else would stone them to death.  Supposedly everyone behaved the rest of the year so it was a good thing. 

The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson. Great little story. Probably included in every text book, or American short story anthology.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
I seem to remember a story we read in class in grade school where some town had an annual event.  At the event, one person would be selected by lottery and every else would stone them to death.  Supposedly everyone behaved the rest of the year so it was a good thing.  It was typically 'ends justify the means' gibberish.  Hearing about the Purge movie reminded me of that story.

Shirley Jackson, "The Lottery".  Classic.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:27 PM »
So was my memory of the plot accurate? 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 11:29:34 PM »

Yeah, that's why two of us immediately knew what story you meant. I'm not sure why you mention the ends justifying the means. I think The Lottery is actually about the dangers of having a blind faith in tradition.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
I was thinking that even if it works like they believe and everyone behaves the rest of the year because they get it out of their system or something, they are still murdering someone once a year to achieve that.  

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

http://sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/jackson_lottery.pdf"

The lottery was a sacrifice to assure good crops.

"They do say," Mr. Adams said to Old Man Warner, who stood next to him, "that over in the north village they're talking of giving up the lottery."

Old Man Warner snorted. "Pack of crazy fools," he said. "Listening to the young folks, nothing's good enough for them. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to go back to living in caves, nobody work any more, live that way for a while. Used to be a saying about 'Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.' First thing you know, we'd all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns. There's always been a lottery," he added petulantly. "Bad enough to see young Joe Summers up there joking with everybody."

"Some places have already quit lotteries." Mrs. Adams said.

"Nothing but trouble in that," Old Man Warner said stoutly. "Pack of young fools."
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
The Lottery is good.

The Haunting of Hill House is incredible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »
The Lottery is good.

The Haunting of Hill House is incredible.

The original "The Haunting" from 1962 is much better.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 05:32:20 PM »
The Haunting was a movie adaptation of Jackson's Haunting of Hill House.

And a marginal one at that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
I've seen the first one and couldn't figure out if it was just supposed to be a movie or if they had some sort of anti-gun message.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic