Author Topic: How to handle the Westboro Whackjobs  (Read 2782 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
How to handle the Westboro Whackjobs
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
Mississippi shows "how" to do it.

The video will bring tears to your eyes.  That's the America I know and love.

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/04/21/mississippi-shows-how-you-handle-westboro-freaks
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: How to handle the Westboro Whackjobs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.

Unfortunatly there will probably suits filed by the WBC crowd over those acts that even if they lose will cost the local government much money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

j3rd

• Storm Coming
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:39 AM »
If WBC loses enough lawsuits, it'll put 'em out of business. If enough of the congregation gets some ass whoopin', that might be discouraging also. WBC is sowing the wind, they will reap the consequences sooner or later.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
It's a bit reassuring seeing all those people who still turn out for a fellow's final return home in this age of indifference. Darn screen getting all fuzzy.

... I think I'll just leave this here.  http://youtu.be/6UvQ52A7ksM

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
It's a bit reassuring seeing all those people who still turn out for a fellow's final return home in this age of indifference. Darn screen getting all fuzzy.

... I think I'll just leave this here.  http://youtu.be/6UvQ52A7ksM

This...

We must both have defective monitors....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
I'd rather my govt actually charge them with an actual crime or let them be.  This harassment might be amusing turned against the WBC, but won't be so amusing when used against Tea Partiers, 2nd Amendment supporters, and the like.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like them at all, but like we've learned with the Patriot Act, RICO, and any number of seemingly innocuous laws and actions, they can always be misused.  Stick to the laws and Constitution, do it correctly.

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
if we stick to the letter of the law everything grinds to a complete halt really quickly, there are way to many laws.
I am glad some people were brave enough to risk a parking ticket to stop WBC from hurting the family of a fallen Marine.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
if we stick to the letter of the law everything grinds to a complete halt really quickly, there are way to many laws.
I am glad some people were brave enough to risk a parking ticket to stop WBC from hurting the family of a fallen Marine.

And the point <whoosh> flies over your head.

I'm talking about localities creatively using the laws to control those they don't like.  Today, it's WBC, tomorrow it might be the Tea Party or your local gun rights group.  Will *that* be acceptable to you?

I want my govt to do it's job, not play favorites.  I might not always be one of the favored sons.

Chris

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
And the point <whoosh> flies over your head.

I'm talking about localities creatively using the laws to control those they don't like.  Today, it's WBC, tomorrow it might be the Tea Party or your local gun rights group.  Will *that* be acceptable to you?

I want my govt to do it's job, not play favorites.  I might not always be one of the favored sons.

Chris

I got the point and actually agree with you, the only difference is it wasn't a gov approved stalling tactic it was a people powered uprising against both WBC & the gov-sure there was individual collusion among gov employees but it still was more of a benign vigilante uprising than a gov approved sanction.

The NRA mag I got in the mail last week had a similar story about Las Vegas NM, vigilantes had to clean up the town because outlaws had taken over.

Until we recognize the rights of grieving families, its up to the people to do something.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 10:34:21 PM »
That's funny because it seems the police were in on it as well by arresting and holding them for dubious reasons.
Police were called but their wrecker service was running behind and it was going to be a few hours before they could tow the trucks so the Kansas plated cars could get out.

A few made it to the funeral but were ushered away to be questioned about a crime they might have possibly been involved in. Turns out, after a few hours of questioning, that they were not involved and they were allowed to go on about their business.

I'd rather my govt enforce the laws and not target unpopular groups.  

Chris

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
That's funny because it seems the police were in on it as well by arresting and holding them for dubious reasons.
I'd rather my govt enforce the laws and not target unpopular groups.  

Chris

the police were simply doing their job, if an anonymous phone call gives the gov't the authority to take away a ton of children from the FLDS compound, then an anon tip is good enough to hold the WBC for questioning.

is it the pd's fault the tip came at an inopportune time for WBC?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
the police were simply doing their job, if an anonymous phone call gives the gov't the authority to take away a ton of children from the FLDS compound, then an anon tip is good enough to hold the WBC for questioning.

is it the pd's fault the tip came at an inopportune time for WBC?

That's BS and you know it.  Will you be as sanguine when these tactics are used against 2nd Amendment groups?  What about legitimate Christians (ie your local Baptist church protesting abortion clinics)?  Will it be a mere inconvenience then?

People like you are what gave our govt the Patriot Act.  It's ok when "conservatives" use these tools, but you seem to forget that liberals get the reigns of power from time to time.

Chris

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
That's BS and you know it. 

Well, you got me there ;)

Will you be as sanguine when these tactics are used against 2nd Amendment groups
nope, just when 2A groups use these tactics against NYC/MD/NJ

What about legitimate Christians (ie your local Baptist church protesting abortion clinics)?  Will it be a mere inconvenience then?
I do find it very interesting that WBC gets far more legal leeway for their protest than do Pro Life protesters, I don't get it.

People like you are what gave our govt the Patriot Act.
nope. people like me are OK with the use of popular uprising when the gov't fails to do a good job recognizing the rights of the grief stricken to peaceably morn. Big gov't liberals are pro "patriot act"

I am in favor of punching those damm WBC in the nose, not in favor of the gov't doing that!, I do however want legislation giving grievers the same rights as abortion mills

It's ok when "conservatives" use these tools, but you seem to forget that liberals get the reigns of power from time to time.
  nope, I don't feel I have forgotten anything.  to me its quite simple, there is right and wrong- harassing people at funerals is wrong.

Chris
[/quote]

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:35 AM »
nope. people like me are OK with the use of popular uprising when the gov't fails to do a good job recognizing the rights of the grief stricken to peaceably morn.

This was the govt doing this.  The cops were involved, the cops are the govt.  Their tow trucks were "unavailable", they were the ones to haul WBC in for bogus reasons.  Govt trucks were used to block the protesters' cars.

I do however want legislation giving grievers the same rights as abortion mills
I don't disagree.  What I don't want is the govt randomly choosing who to harass.  I want a law in place, I want it equally applied.  When the govt gets to pick and choose where to apply the law, we see it applied only to enemies of the govt while a blind eye is turned towards its allies (which today isn't us in a lot of cases).

Chris