Author Topic: Pastor Jones Gets His Birmingham Jail Moment  (Read 3677 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Pastor Jones Gets His Birmingham Jail Moment
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
Also:
A Michigan Jury Finds That Muslims Can’t Be Expected To Control Themselves

http://patterico.com/2011/04/22/a-michigan-jury-finds-that-muslims-cant-be-expected-to-control-themselves-and-pastor-jones-gets-his-birmingham-jail-moment/

"Basically this is a special process by which a person can be accused of planning to breach the peace. And if they plan to breach the peace, they can be charged a bond to cover the estimated costs of such breach. So what we have is a full-on Minority Report situation, where we are prosecuting him not for what he has done, but what he might do. Indeed, more precisely we are prosecuting him based on what others might do if he does something that he might not himself do. "

Jones is the Koran-burning pastor from Florida who had planned on protesting in front of a mosque in Dearborn, MI.  The Dearbornians went all prior restraint/minority report on him.

Those fools trasnformed him from an ass to a martyr for free speech.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
Re: Pastor Jones Gets His Birmingham Jail Moment
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
This is a bad sign.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
This is a bad sign.

We're not even a minority and we're giving up our rights to appease the barbarians. (I say "we" even though I and most people here are unlikely to be among those who are "leading" us into Dhimmitude.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
We're not even a minority and we're giving up our rights to appease the barbarians. (I say "we" even though I and most people here are unlikely to be among those who are "leading" us into Dhimmitude.)

True, that's a bad sign, but the worse sign is the "enforcement" of a non-existent law

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
Were I an American Muslim, I would be outraged.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »
Were I an American Muslim, I would be outraged.

I bet a goodly number are.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
I bet if the city had just parked cars behind all of the pastors' vehicles, failed to investigate an assault on the pastor, and then hauled him in for questioning during his protest time we'd all be commending Michigan for its canny use of the law to keep the peace. 

Surely no one here would seriously consider a free speech regime where the content determines which restraints are valid, right?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
I bet if the city had just parked cars behind all of the pastors' vehicles, failed to investigate an assault on the pastor, and then hauled him in for questioning during his protest time we'd all be commending Michigan for its canny use of the law to keep the peace. 

Surely no one here would seriously consider a free speech regime where the content determines which restraints are valid, right?

You mean if private individuals had parked the cars right?

Cause that would actually be totally different in terms of rule of law.

The differential treatment of the assault shouldn't be allowed, though if the procedures and timelines were average for similar assaults, there's not a lot the police can do if witnesses refuse to testify.

Again, the hauling in for questioning during his planned protest time is problematic (again unless it followed the same procedures always used in similar situations) but since Jones was not time-limited by events (the length of the funeral) it wouldn' have worked regardless.  They would have had to used an indefinite detention without cause which is as prima facie unConstitutional as what actually happened to Jones anyway.

Don't you hate it when precision makes zinger generalizations kinda, well, less "zing-ey".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:41:21 AM »
The Dearbornians went all prior restraint/minority report on him.

Yeah, I can't imagine why they'd be concerned over the matter.  I mean, it'd been like a whole 24 hours since he SHOT HIS OWN CAR.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:23:14 AM »
Because he had to handle the gun because the tv station had a no carry policy.

Not to excuse the ND but it was preventable by a sensible policy of allowing carry inside.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
I bet if the city
had just parked cars behind all of the pastors' vehicles,the city?? oh I think I know what you're talking about, a few private citizens private citizens private citizens private citizens private citizens & NOT THE CITY NOT THE CITY NOT THE CITY!!!!! blocked WBC. ... but its OK to misconstrue facts when FACTS disagree with whatever your agenda is shooting student.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine why they'd be concerned over the matter.  I mean, it'd been like a whole 24 hours since he SHOT HIS OWN CAR.

must be one of them dang foreign cars , I bet the car was asking for it :angel: :laugh:

anyway, yeah by forcing people to handle loaded firearms it increases the chance of a ND.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."