Author Topic: The Department of Commerce is looking out for YOU  (Read 1967 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
The Department of Commerce is looking out for YOU
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
Don't worry about remembering all those confusing passwords - the Gimmint wants to give you one that will work for everything.

I feels so much bettah!

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/US-Department-Commerce-Wants-Help-3449669.S.51121526

Worried about remembering your passwords? If you are a US citizen you need not worry much longer because the US Commerce Department has just disclosed plans for a national cyber-identity system that will let you use a single secure password and identity for all of your digital transactions. Of course there is a catch, but we will get to that at the end.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The Department of Commerce is looking out for YOU
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Yeah, I can't see anything wrong with this brilliant plan! /sarcasm

Cause from a security standpoint, the first person I'd trust is the feds (yeah right) and I'd SURE trust them not to invade my privacy...

And if you believe this thing will remain optional...yeah, I've got this ocean front property in AZ I'd like to talk to you about, it's a deal you can't pass up)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
Yeah.

I hope they can provide me with a good solid encryption key to use with PGP while they're at it.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
Cause from a security standpoint, the first person I'd trust is the feds (yeah right) and I'd SURE trust them not to invade my privacy...

After spending a decade as a FedGov network engineer contractor (PKI, VPN, Firewalls primarily) I returned to security work for the corporate side of the industry.  Frankly, when it comes to security, I would trust the govt over corporations any day.  What I see on the corporate side would horrify you.  You'd think this was 1998 and tools like encryption were difficult and expensive.  That said, I do not trust the govt when it comes to privacy, but at least they *get* the security argument.

Chris  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »
Can't you buy key-fob USB devices that can encrypt and store all your passwords? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
Can't you buy key-fob USB devices that can encrypt and store all your passwords? 

Only ones I've heard of are proprietary closed-source solutions, which means there's probably a backdoor in them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »
Ah, the old chip-in-the-hand ploy, eh? =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
After spending a decade as a FedGov network engineer contractor (PKI, VPN, Firewalls primarily) I returned to security work for the corporate side of the industry.  Frankly, when it comes to security, I would trust the govt over corporations any day.  What I see on the corporate side would horrify you.  You'd think this was 1998 and tools like encryption were difficult and expensive.  That said, I do not trust the govt when it comes to privacy, but at least they *get* the security argument.

Chris  

US government does have a pretty good PKI setup, I'll admit that.  I'd agree that the government has done a better job of rolling out a PKI infrastructure.  But trust?  Eh...  Corporations can't exactly kick in your door, shoot the family pets and toss you in prison on questionable charges. 

I don't encrypt my files or email to stop McDonald's or Exxon-Mobile from reading my stuff.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
I don't encrypt my files or email to stop McDonald's or Exxon-Mobile from reading my stuff.

I do keep a shotgun around in case the Hamburgler or an insane Ronald shows up...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
I do keep a shotgun around in case the Hamburgler or an insane Ronald shows up...

That's why I keep the Uzi handy.  And throwing spikes.  And uh.  Other things. 

But I'm saying it's being overly paranoid to worry about either of them intercepting your electronic communications.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:25 AM »
Only ones I've heard of are proprietary closed-source solutions, which means there's probably a backdoor in them.

Any USB drive + TrueCrypt + KeePass.  All open source, and even if KeePass turns out to be less secure than you thought, having it on a TrueCrypt volume solves that.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
US government does have a pretty good PKI setup, I'll admit that.  I'd agree that the government has done a better job of rolling out a PKI infrastructure.  But trust?  Eh...  Corporations can't exactly kick in your door, shoot the family pets and toss you in prison on questionable charges. 

True, you don't have to worry about Corps coming to your home, but you do have to worry about them getting compromised.  I was speaking more about the technical aspects of security.  Govt understands and puts reasonably good practices in place.

As for the govt, I wasn't impressed with their PKI efforts.  Up till a couple years ago, it was constantly having issues.  Things may be better now, but it was rough for a while.

Chris

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
Any USB drive + TrueCrypt + KeePass.  All open source, and even if KeePass turns out to be less secure than you thought, having it on a TrueCrypt volume solves that.

Thanks.  Good plan/info.

I'm gonna get a couple of good-sized USB drives and set one up for me and another for the wife.  It'll be good for passwords, and for scans of important docs.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
True, you don't have to worry about Corps coming to your home, but you do have to worry about them getting compromised.  I was speaking more about the technical aspects of security.  Govt understands and puts reasonably good practices in place.

There is legal recourse if a corp screws up and your data is let out into the wilds.  When gov't does it, you get a letter and (if you're lucky) a phone number to call that will run a single, free credit check for you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton