Author Topic: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco  (Read 15228 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cityinsider/detail?entry_id=87788

Signatures are being gathered in San Francisco to put a measure on the ballot banning male circumcision.  Many interesting comments attached to the news article.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

PTK

• friends
Re: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
Good. Butchering part of a newborn boy's body is a horrific practice. It's a LOT different than, for example, circumcision when becoming an adult (in Judaism, for example)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
Good. Butchering part of a newborn boy's body is a horrific practice. It's a LOT different than, for example, circumcision when becoming an adult (in Judaism, for example)

That's Islam.  Jews do it when the kid is eight days old.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »

Horrific?  Not so sure there.  Are there any proven long term effects of circumcision besides reduced susceptibility to infection, including HIV?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
That's Islam.  Jews do it when the kid is eight days old.

And they seem like such nice people!   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
This is just going to increase the number of back-alley circumcisions.  =(
I promise not to duck.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »
Horrific?  Not so sure there.  Are there any proven long term effects of circumcision besides reduced susceptibility to infection, including HIV?
Do they have to be long term? Inflicting unnecessary pain on a small child is not a bad thing in you book?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »
This is going to go no where good and it's going to get there quick.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
Horrific?  Not so sure there.  Are there any proven long term effects of circumcision besides reduced susceptibility to infection, including HIV?

Do they have to be long term? Inflicting unnecessary pain on a small child is not a bad thing in you book?

Took the answer right out of my mouth. The kids don't "settle down" part way into the procedure - they go into shock and start shaking, with their eyes rolling back into their head. It is, indeed, horrific. Go look for videos if you don't believe me - I'd sooner have surgery without anesthesia be legal to perform on infants. :(

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

No, I don't honestly believe it's that bad or painful.  I also don't agree that it's unnecessary.  Parents could reasonably want to protect their kids from infection. Religious and cultural reasons also shouldn't be dismissed.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
De Selby, I bet you also think it's OK to force children to wear painful braces on their legs or teeth, or to jab needles into them, filling their bloodstreams with diseases. Don't you? Don't you? You monster.

I presume the bill also bans these horrific practices, yes? And bans body piercings or tattoos for minors?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »
Cutting off part of the body =/= vaccine. ;)

What's everyone's opinion on the removal of the clitoral hood? It is custom in a few places, and used to be a much more widespread custom...

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm not convinced by the YouTube videos that this is so barbaric.  It also has clear medical benefits.  I'd be interested to see a history of the ban movement.  Where did this start?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »
Cutting off part of the body =/= vaccine. ;)

Cutting off the foreskin =/= butchery.  ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm not convinced by the YouTube videos that this is so barbaric.  It also has clear medical benefits.  I'd be interested to see a history of the ban movement.  Where did this start?

Take a wild guess.  ;/

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
Oh, hell!  Didn't we go through this before? :facepalm:

And does anybody think that the other side will change their mind this time? :facepalm:

I'm going to follow this just to see if a new idea enters what will pass for discussion.  [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
Keep your laws off my foreskin!

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "my body", does it?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
I honestly have no idea where this movement originated.  Nor why it strikes such a chord.  I do know that I'm automatically suspicious of anyone who asks me to support a law because if I don't, babies will be tortured.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 12:14:27 AM »
No, I don't honestly believe it's that bad or painful.  I also don't agree that it's unnecessary.  Parents could reasonably want to protect their kids from infection. Religious and cultural reasons also shouldn't be dismissed.
Well, if cutting your finger is painful, why would cutting your penis be not painful?

As far as everything else, if it's really not a big deal, why not let the owner of the foreskin make the choice?

Keep your laws off my foreskin!
Eh... Laws on your foreskin? Someone got too close to a printing press in the nude?   >:D

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »
Well, if cutting your finger is painful, why would cutting your penis be not painful?

As far as everything else, if it's really not a big deal, why not let the owner of the foreskin make the choice?

Are we now banning things because they're painful? And I assume you're also down to ban ear piercing for minors? Or is that "a big deal" that must be done right away?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »
Wow.  A thread where I'm in complete, 100% agreement with De Selby. 
Formerly sumpnz

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »
De Selby, I bet you also think it's OK to force children to wear painful braces on their legs or teeth, or to jab needles into them, filling their bloodstreams with diseases. Don't you? Don't you? You monster.

I presume the bill also bans these horrific practices, yes? And bans body piercings or tattoos for minors?

On your rationale, if we do not ban every single procedure that is available for minors, we should have no power to regulate these procedures at all?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 01:04:25 AM »
Wow.  A thread where I'm in complete, 100% agreement with De Selby. 

It does happen to the best of us.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 01:04:58 AM »
Are we now banning things because they're painful? And I assume you're also down to ban ear piercing for minors? Or is that "a big deal" that must be done right away?

Do you think it should be legal, anywhere in the United States, for a parent to tattoo a child at the age of eight? Or pierce his/her ears/other bodily organs? If not, why?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 01:23:24 AM »
Do you think it should be legal, anywhere in the United States, for a parent to tattoo a child at the age of eight? Or pierce his/her ears/other bodily organs? If not, why?

Yes, within limits which we've had a few hundred years to establish. 

I think a decent test is this - if the medical and social consequences are minimal, and there is a legitimate parental reason to have the procedure, it should be allowed.  I think fistfuls point was that obviously, causing some pain is not a reason to prohibit the practice.