Author Topic: "Tea Party Activists" want to enforce internet sales taxes?  (Read 3784 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"Tea Party Activists" want to enforce internet sales taxes?
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
TEA = Taxed Enough Already.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/04/28/113086/amazon-packing-after-south-carolina.html

snip:

Most Midlands lawmakers supported the exemption, but opposition fanned by a coalition of small merchants, national retailers and Tea Party activists proved insurmountable...

Methinks we have some misguided folks in the Tea Party, or a 5th column betraying the movement, in SC.  Or, the nooz is lying.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: "Tea Party Activists" want to enforce internet sales taxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »
Just on a whim I'll go with Option #3 this time. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

stay safe.

The safe money is on #1.

There are some "consistency challenged" folks on the team.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:20:40 PM »
As was mentioned in a previous thread, anybody can claim to be with the Tea Party.

But if Amazon is getting a special exemption from a tax paid by others, I could see Tea Partyers objecting to that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »

That's always an even money bet.....   :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
If I'm reading it right, the "special exemption" was to not have to collect SC sales taxes on items sold to residents of other states.

Why should I, as a citizen of Alaska, have to pay SC's sales tax just because the physical presence of the business is there?

I don't get any benefit from that money and my purchasing the item, particularly from a trans-shipper like Amazon, doesn't impact SC in any way not coverable by property and transportation taxes and such.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
If I'm reading it right, the "special exemption" was to not have to collect SC sales taxes on items sold to residents of other states.

Why should I, as a citizen of Alaska, have to pay SC's sales tax just because the physical presence of the business is there?

I don't get any benefit from that money and my purchasing the item, particularly from a trans-shipper like Amazon, doesn't impact SC in any way not coverable by property and transportation taxes and such.

Why do you hate poor kids? Because Amazon is greedy. You need to pay your fair share. You're Racist!

I think I covered the standard reasons.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
The TEA party is tired of the governor and legislature picking and choosing who gets favorable tax treatment.  To understand Amazon you have to understand the history of Boeing.  In the case of Boeing the legislature gave away the store and to this day don't have a good fix on what the cost is to the state. 

Enter Amazon's deal negotiated by the same cast of characters.  Between the two deals the TEA party rose to prominence in the state to the point of electing a governor who turns out to be a bull RINO but that is a different story. 

The TEA party types object to favorable treatment to big business enterprises yet gives the finger to small business which is responsible for more than 80% of the job creation in the state.  Our governor started off talking about tax changes to favor the little guy.  All the talk disappeared once she was elected.  TEA party is saying "enough, already".

There is a lot of political combat going on in the state between the RINO establishment and insurgent TEA party types.  Amazon is just a little smoke on the horizon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:28:42 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
 Thanks Waitone, I had wondered what the deal was but had heard nothing about it until the State article came out.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the context.