Author Topic: Barbara Boxer takes a page from John Ross' playbook.  (Read 1389 times)

Justin

• friend
Barbara Boxer takes a page from John Ross' playbook.
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:39:06 PM »
This just in from the Department of Declaring Irony to be Dead:

Click if you dare.

A debut novel straight out of the blue (state)
*Sen. Barbara Boxer's "A Time to Run" is about a politician who battles a controversial Supreme Court nominee.

Books
A debut novel straight out of the blue (state)

By Anne-Marie O'Connor, Times Staff Writer

It may come as a surprise to many of her constituents, but for seven years California Sen. Barbara Boxer has been moonlighting from what she calls her "day job"  as an elected official from the state that boasts the free world's fifth or sixth largest economy  to write a novel. "A Time to Run" is a for-whom-the-bell-tolls story of a liberal blue-state senator who braves the political mud wrestling in Washington for the sake of her ideals. It is, of course, co-written, with San Francisco author Mary-Rose Hayes.

In Boxer's fictional world, a liberal California senator with views very much like hers goes to bat to defeat the Supreme Court nomination of a woman whose most conspicuous qualification for the job seems to be her conservative credentials  a plot twist Boxer said she added a year and a half ago.

"It's crazy, the parallels," the Democrat said on a recent day as she whizzed across Los Angeles in a chauffeured SUV to a Hollywood party honoring her book. "It's just remarkable that this all happened," she said, referring to the controversial Supreme Court nomination of conservative Harriet Miers. "My book seemed to be so prescient."
L.A. Times Review-whole thing here.

A tip o' the hat to Reason Online's Hit & Run Blog for causing me to throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:00:48 PM »
Now if she'll just admit that her Senatorial writings were fiction as well.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »
The red states that Greg heads to after graduation are interchangeably dull Siberias where Greg hangs out with the menfolk, bonding over beer, football and hunting.
How altrustic and sane of her. How very liberal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
I see this as a good thing. The more time she spends writing books, the less time she will spend writing poor legislation.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:33:03 PM »
I'm not going to waste eyesight on it even after it ends up on the remaindered table.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.