Author Topic: Fifteen minutes I'll never get back  (Read 4064 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Fifteen minutes I'll never get back
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
Was poking around the interwebz for info on controlled demolition failures.  I stumbled across this:

http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/september-11th/34447-world-record-tallest-building-brought-down-controlled-demolition.html

Warning... do not read unless you really, really have nothing better to do... like a barbed wire colonoscopy or maybe that weekly self immolation therapy.

I was dumb enough to follow it for a couple of pages.  Now I'm going outside to find my brain.  It ran screaming out the door five minutes ago.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Fifteen minutes I'll never get back
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:39:50 PM »
First page has a sig-worthy quote:
You do realize there are people on this discussion board with way more knowledge than all those experts. If you don't believe me, just wait for their replies to your post.

You can easily tell who those experts are; they're the ones who will curse you out and call you stupid.
:laugh:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »
Yeeaaahhh....I got about three posts in, saw what it was about, then exited stage right.

It doesn't matter how many facts or how much logic you throw at troothers, they're absolutely convinced that they're right.  It's almost like they need that myth to keep living.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:33 PM »
It doesn't matter how many facts or how much logic you throw at troothers, they're absolutely convinced that they're right.  It's almost like they need that myth to keep living.
It's impossible to disprove. Just say "so and so is complicit, too." If you have enough facts, it ends up with everybody being involved in the conspiracy but you and them, and they're not too sure about you.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »
The other day I heard about some org called Engineers and Architects for Truth (or something).  Anybody know what that's about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
There are studies that suggest humans actually have brain structures and genes that actually control or favor a sense of religion or spirituality.

I think conspiracy theorists get this mechanism misdirected at the conspiracy they and others have built up in their minds.

It's not about the conspiracy, it's about them. It's the lens through which they see themselves and how they define themselves. Without their belief and as one of the "chosen few" who understands the "truth", they're just an un-married 40-something living in mom's basement, with Cheeto stains on their Fruit of the Loom T-shirt.
I promise not to duck.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:27 AM »
STUFF
Hey, whoa, there's nothing wrong with Fruit of the Loom shirts.
Them things be comfortable.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:42:13 AM »
i prefer Fruit of kaBOOM

i keel you [popcorn]

hey my link was better than Brad's >:D dumb truthers. bet obama hires the bunch of them to oversee the investigation into mission "suv dud".(or was it "my bomb didn't go off because i didn't but enough carban credits?")

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
The other day I heard about some org called Engineers and Architects for Truth (or something).  Anybody know what that's about?

As I understand it, they are engineers and architects that happen to also be truthers. I saw an interview of one of them a long time ago on some news show. IMO they only add a very small amount of credability to the truthers, if any.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
First page has a sig-worthy quote:

You can easily tell who those experts are; they're the ones who will curse you out and call you stupid.

:laugh:

Sound like the "experts" in the Obama Administration.....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
i prefer Fruit of kaBOOM

i keel you [popcorn]

hey my link was better than Brad's >:D dumb truthers. bet obama hires the bunch of them to oversee the investigation into mission "suv dud".(or was it "my bomb didn't go off because i didn't but enough carban credits?")

That's my favorite clip.  Dunham is great!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »
As I understand it, they are engineers and architects that happen to also be truthers. I saw an interview of one of them a long time ago on some news show. IMO they only add a very small amount of credability to the truthers, if any.
I'm an engineer.  Trust me, there is no guarantee any given engineer will be smart or wise.  We can be just as stupid as everyone else. 
I could tell you about the guy I know who believes that George Bush made sure all the Hurricane aid was in Mississippi and held it back from Louisiana after Katrina.  Never mind that the interstate was knocked out and roads were closed all over Louisiana and the state gov and mayor screwed up.

IMO, the human brain is big on pattern recognition.  I think these people just see patterns that aren't true and can't let it go. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
If I remember right, there was a video or presentation that was emailed around a few months after 911 that flashed pictures at you with comments trying to get people to believe the conspiracy angle.  Snopes did a good job debunking it, but IMO, that video showed the way these people think.  They are looking at surface evidence and failing to really analyze it any deeper and see the inconsistencies in it.  After a while, they believe it strong enough that they reject any contrary evidence.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
Mech, we rented a house for a while that was wired by engineer, loose wires, light switches that did nothing, street lamp hanging(literally, it wound sway with the breeze) off the side of the house. :O till then i respected engineers as a group, quite a wake up. oh it was his house, a nut he was. they spray painted over water damage to sell the house instead of fixing the roof. well his wife treated him like a dog, so i guess the world is in balance. [popcorn]

edit: left out why he had wired it.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »
I'm an engineer.  Trust me, there is no guarantee any given engineer will be smart or wise.  We can be just as stupid as everyone else. 
I could tell you about the guy I know who believes that George Bush made sure all the Hurricane aid was in Mississippi and held it back from Louisiana after Katrina.  Never mind that the interstate was knocked out and roads were closed all over Louisiana and the state gov and mayor screwed up.

IMO, the human brain is big on pattern recognition.  I think these people just see patterns that aren't true and can't let it go. 

I am as well, though most don't believe me. I either look dumb, or have people skills IRL.

Working with others, I would agree with your assessment.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »
I have to say that I have met some pretty brilliant engineers also, but I give little significance toward engineers in general recommending anything.

I tend to have the same attitude about any professional recommending something or endorsing something.  There better be more to it than just bragging about credentials or using big words.  I see people occasionally who get snowed by that stuff, but it never meant much to me even before I went to college; less now.  I guess I am a natural cynic at times.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
There isn't anything wrong with that. It is often the difference between the smart engineers and the rest. The ones who aren't smart, or lack enough confidence, often try to confuse others using terminology. I always thought that sharing knowledge was far more productive.

Take this truthers group as an example. They presumably use confusing terms to convince people that their beliefs are correct. If they were simply educating, they wouldn't be effective at all because people would arrive at the logical conclusion.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 04:21:47 PM »
Agreed.  I always figured that you really understood a concept when you could restate it in your own words and in simple language. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
Agreed.  I always figured that you really understood a concept when you could restate it in your own words and in simple language. 

You want simple language?

“I do believe that it's the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel."
                                                                 Rosie O'Donnell
I promise not to duck.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »

“I do believe that it's the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel."
                                                                 Rosie O'Donnell
:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
First page was all I could handle.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »

Rosie O'Donnell

Well, that WOULD be simple. Problem is, it would also be incorrect. Steel buildings get fireproofing applied to them for that very reason ... so that a bad fire won't cause the structure to collapse. The steel doesn't have to "melt" ... all it has to do is get hot enough to change the temper, and down she comes.

As a specific example, back around 1970 there was a catastrophic fire in the building housing the Yale School or Architecture. That building was reinforced concrete throughout, which is generally considered rather fireproof because the steel is protected from heat by several inches of concrete. Problem is, it was the end of the year, the students were all cranking away on their thesis projects, and the building was chock-a-block full or paper, paint, balsa wood, glue, and various other flammable materials. The fire on the upper stories was hot enough that it did, in fact, melt the steel (at least to the point of structural failure, although not literally puddles of liquid metal).

But, the only thing Rosie is an expert on is shooting off her fat, ugly mouth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
and when tempering(or annealing) steel, the longer you leave it the lower the temp that will get it to a given hardness. of coarse the temps are always high(over 400o if i'm remembering right, i'm sure it wont be long for someone that knows to come through if i'm wrong =))