Author Topic: Boycott the Knee?  (Read 22200 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Boycott the Knee?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2017, 12:41:22 AM »
Apparently David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson of The X-Files have gotten in on the knee, https://www.cnet.com/news/x-files-gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-take-a-knee-nfl-colin-kaepernick-donald-trump/
 :facepalm:

Cigarette-Smoking Man must have something  on them. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
Has The View taken a knee yet? Because they're the bellwether of righteousness in our society.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »
Has The View taken a knee yet? Because they're the bellwether of righteousness in our society.
Or if they do, could they get back up without help?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/09/28/its-wednesday-goober-charlie-daniels-gets-dragged-over-thursday-night-football-tweet/

:lol:

Eh, that happens when you get old. I ended up getting my dad one of those "day of the week" clocks. Frankly, since I've retired, I don't always keep track of days either and could use one of those myself.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
You could use one of what things?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
You could use one of what things?

See what happens when you get old?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
My dad could only tell that it was the weekend because the programs on Fox News "sucked".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/913470494061600769

BREAKING NEWS: The Chicago Police Dept has replaced all sirens with the National Anthem, to force suspects to stop running and take a knee.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: The Chicago Police Dept has replaced all sirens with the National Anthem, to force suspects to stop running and take a knee.

Heh. I had the same thought, since the kill-whitey protests are still going on around here. If I start singing the anthem, will they all take a knee? If I start with a verse they've never heard before, will they even know it's the anthem?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
Heh. I had the same thought, since the kill-whitey protests are still going on around here. If I start singing the anthem, will they all take a knee? If I start with a verse they've never heard before, will they even know it's the anthem?

You mean the missing fourth verse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
You mean the missing fourth verse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc

That is the one I had in mind, yes. It's one of the three verses we sing at church. (And no, we don't sing the "slave" one.)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Boycott the Knee?
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »

That is the one I had in mind, yes. It's one of the three verses we sing at church. (And no, we don't sing the "slave" one.)
That complaint really irks me.  The verse isn't talking about black slaves.

Apparently,  anytime anyone anywhere mentions the word "slave" it means black people. Without exception. 

Take Britney Spears to the racist jail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »
At my age it doesn't matter what day of the week it is.  I just always call each day Friday so we can go out to dinner and have cocktails.  Works for me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
Eh, that happens when you get old. I ended up getting my dad one of those "day of the week" clocks. Frankly, since I've retired, I don't always keep track of days either and could use one of those myself.  :laugh:
I work nights. My "day" is the previous calendar date for 6 hours of my shift and I'm working 2 days ahead. I'm never really sure what day it is.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:19 AM »
I have a new anti-hero.

I mostly lost all interest in professional football (along with all other professional sports) at least 20 years ago, but from what little contact I've been unable to avoid I thought very highly of Aaron Rodgers of the Packers. He seemed to be the kind of stand-up athlete a kid could look up to, like the way we though our heroes were (whether or not it was true) back when I was a kid.

Until tonight.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/28/16381646/packers-fans-linking-arms-national-anthem

Earlier in the week, Aaron Rodgers made a request that fans join the team.

"This is about equality," Rodgers said Tuesday. "This is about unity and love and growing together as a society and starting a conversation around something that may be a little bit uncomfortable for people.

“But we've got to come together and talk about these things and grow as a community, as a connected group of individuals in our society, and we're going to continue to show love and unity, and this week we're going to ask the fans to join in as well and come together and show people that we can be connected and we can grow together."

How about the team remembering that it's the fans, ultimately, who pay their outrageous salaries. So how about the team joining the fans, and respecting the flag and the national anthem? You don't promote unity by engaging in divisive behavior. And for the black players, especially, who are promting this crap: If you want to do something about what you perceive as unfair treatment of black people by the police, how about not acting like thugs when you're off the football field? How about setting good examples for young men (and women) of color so they can learn that they don't have to be thugs to be "cool," and maybe if you can inspire them to act like decent human beings they won't have to worry about being hassled by "the man."

I am now officially out of heroes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
Kapernik (sp? who cares?), like Black Lives Matter before him, chose a most divisive way to highlight a cause that should have united us. Instead of calling out police for real abuses, against people of all ethnicities, they chose to make it a black problem, and an anti-white grievance. Instead of pointing to examples of not only blacks, but also whites, Asians, and even white Hispanics that had been mistreated by law enforcement; they chose to push the false narrative that police are tools of white supremacy, and that it is white people who de-value black people. Obviously, it is overwhelmingly black people that tend to place a low value on the lives of black people. Typically, they do this by committing violence against other black people (even if you don't include abortion). Occasionally, they do it by bringing fists to a gun fight that they started. Instead of making poor police work, or poorly-crafted laws, the enemy; they chose to pit "black lives" against white people, minority-owned businesses, a non-racist Hispanic (and there are signs that George Zimmerman is among those who've now been pushed into anti-black racism by BLM, and its fellow travelers), all police, regardless of their job performance, and now American patriotism, and all things associated with patriotism.

Oh, and here's another interesting take on things.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/21723/how-trump-defeated-nfl-nba-and-media-ben-shapiro

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
Neither of them  ???
This seems like a really dumb argument to try to make. Lower salary = oppression.  :facepalm:

One could make the argument that the lower salary leaves one open to oppression by an employer; assuming neither spends anything, after 4 years, the average NFL player will have earned $10M, while the private will have $140k total: the private could live well for a year before having to go back to work, while the NFL player could retire and pull $140k/yr out from under his mattress for over 70 years.

The private is also highly unlikely to "retire" his way into a pile of celebrity appearances and product endorsements before he gets his first gray hair.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Maybe we should all start singing the Marine Corps hymn in public. Talk about imperialism and whitey oppressing the natives, hell, we sing about it! Get the protests started, then sit back and watch former Marines vs. snowflakes championship bout scheduled for twelve rounds, not expected to go the distance.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
One could make the argument that the lower salary leaves one open to oppression by an employer; assuming neither spends anything, after 4 years, the average NFL player will have earned $10M, while the private will have $140k total: the private could live well for a year before having to go back to work, while the NFL player could retire and pull $140k/yr out from under his mattress for over 70 years.

The private is also highly unlikely to "retire" his way into a pile of celebrity appearances and product endorsements before he gets his first gray hair.

Also, let's start protesting the relatively low pay of linemen and other journeyman footballing positions vs the multi-million contracts for the star skill players. Might make football more interesting as a bunch of blocks get "accidentally" missed.
AKA Navy Joe   

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »
Might make football more interesting as a bunch of blocks get "accidentally" missed.

Supposedly, the Raiders' offensive line did just that last weekend, because their quarterback would not take a knee during the National Anthem.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
Supposedly, the Raiders' offensive line did just that last weekend, because their quarterback would not take a knee during the National Anthem.

I think that is why Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady were running their suck in support. Abject fear of linebackers.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• friend