Author Topic: Well, at least India gives its police enough gun when things get bad...  (Read 8119 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Re: Well, at least India gives its police enough gun when things get bad...
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »
I just saw some news video, and I swear I saw soldiers/police armed with old Ishapore Enfields.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
I just saw some news video, and I swear I saw soldiers/police armed with old Ishapore Enfields.

Yup.

CNN just showed a cop standing near a line of people, with a big old Enfield REVOLVER in his hand!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:11:46 AM by Manedwolf »

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
Bad situation over there turning worse, according to the headlines.

gods be with em', that sucks.  Looks like the Indians are stepping up to the plate though.  They seem to know how to open a good ol' fashioned can of whupass.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
guns of the Indian army?
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
watching CNN and the endless loop of the same soldiers jumping off a truck and others running around
like chickens with their heads cut off, I wondered what rifles they used.

The unprofessional soldiers getting off the back of the truck kept bumping into each other and getting their ( what seems to be )
1940's vintage rifles entangled in other soldiers rifles who were getting off the truck too.

The one seen running around seemed to have almost modern L1A1's or FAL's of some sort.

Anyone seen that too and can say what kind they had or comment on their training?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 04:33:13 PM »
Merged threads.

They're No4Mk1 Lee-Enfields, a WWII-vintage rifle that served well beyond WWII, even in Britain until the L1A1 took over.

The Indian-manufactured Ishapores are even more "modern", in the sense that they built on the NoIMkIII SMLE action, albeit chambered in 7.62mm NATO (aka, .308 Winchester) and using a stronger grade of steel.

Regardless, a Lee-Enfield in the hands of somebody who knows how to use it can be formidable, indeed.  Google the "Mad Minute" I mentioned above.  ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

PTK

• friends
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
Built to last, built to kick ass!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
there seems to be two different classes of soldier over there.
The guys with the enfields seem poorly trained to my untrained eye ( I was in signal and spent a lot of time with math books and KP duty )
Bumping into each other, sweeping each other poor finger control too.
The guys with the L1A1's seem much more professional.
I'm sure if you know what you're doing though, an Enfield is pretty good.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: guns of the Indian army?
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »
The one seen running around seemed to have almost modern L1A1's or FAL's of some sort.

They are indeed L1A1s, or the Indian-made variant thereof. They're no Steyr in terms of the fit and finish, but they seem to work alright.

Designated the 1A SLR (Self Loading Rifle), Indian-made FALs were roughly based on the British L1A1, but the measurements match neither the FN nor the British made weapons. It was the mainstay rifle of the Indian Army for almost 45 years, and first saw combat use during the 1965 war with Pakistan. The variant manufactured in India is restricted to semi-automatic fire. The INSAS is part of a family of rifles, carbines and light machine guns - partially derived from the SLR, but in 5.56 mm - that has replaced the SLR in the military. Considerable number of SLRs continued to be used by paramilitary, constabulary and police forces of India. Indian 1A SLRs have been provided to Nepal.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
A group called the Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility.

Caption:
A National Security Guard commando is seen after securing a floor during an operation against terrorists holed up at Nariman House.

It looks like the assault team has the right weapon for the job. One might feel better with a bullpup or carbine, but to a well trained SF type an MP5 should be just fine for hostage rescue, especially since I have yet to see a picture of a an Indian terrorist with body armor.

Link to "photo essay": http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5798,00.html

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »
BALOG- God did not invent the light machine gun. John Moses Browning was personally instructed BY god to invent the light machine gun. So he did! :angel:

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »
Who ARE these guys? They're still fighting, and they just set the hotel on fire again!

Also, Fox just showed someone looking like an Indian special forces sort falling out a first-floor window like a potato sack after a bunch of them stormed in, there's still fighting. They didn't look like they were still in one piece. I think someone might deserve a salute. =(

They're right now fighting in a furiously burning building, trying to rescue any hostage survivors. That's...pretty damned above and beyond, I think.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:42:00 PM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »
The guys with the enfields seem poorly trained to my untrained eye ( I was in signal and spent a lot of time with math books and KP duty )

Apparently - I've read it on a gun blog, so don't trust my word on it - the guys with the enfields are basically beat cops.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner