Author Topic: Well that was a whole lot of fun...  (Read 734 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Well that was a whole lot of fun...
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
The compression fitting nut on the water hammar arrester on one of the toilets in our house just cracked an hour ago, flooding the floor of our bathroom. My dad and I just finished soldering a cap on the water pipe. Nothing like ruining a good night when you want to sit down and relax while reading a couple of forums on the Internet. rolleyes
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:42:13 AM »
Sorry.  I'm on call sometimes to do apartment maintenance, so I know the feeling.  Just console yourself with the thought that it was tap water, not sewage.

We had something like that at work last weekend, but it was in a basement next to an elevator.  Flooded the elevator pit.  We had one before that on a second floor, which flooded the place downstairs.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
Isn't plumbing FUN?  I had the water tank on the toilet of my powder room rupture one day while I was at work.  Slow leak, but still soaked down the carpet by the bath.

Neighbor had the same thing happen to him late last year.  Only his occured just after he left town for three weeks.  8,000 gallons of water into the unit and basement.  Flooded enough to kill the power to furnace in the basement, where apon all the water promptly froze (day time temps in the low teens).  Good bye Berber carpet, good bye drywall, good bye sub-floor.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
My dad and I finished the plumbing this afternoon, seeing as last night we just had capped off the inlet to the toilet. The toilet is now fully functional again. Still, it was a whole lot of fun. shocked

Quote from: Sindawe
Neighbor had the same thing happen to him late last year.  Only his occured just after he left town for three weeks.  8,000 gallons of water into the unit and basement.  Flooded enough to kill the power to furnace in the basement, where apon all the water promptly froze (day time temps in the low teens).  Good bye Berber carpet, good bye drywall, good bye sub-floor.
That's why my dad always turn off the water to the house when we leave it for any great length of time.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »
4 am.  The pager didn't wake me up, but it forwarded to my cell phone.  There was a message from the pager, with a recording about some kind of error.  Then I called the voicemail box where the residents actually leave their messages, and I heard something very bizzare.  A white-trash male voice* left a message about how his wife had abandoned him and their children, and was committing "incest adultery" with her brother.  The phone number he left was in the wrong area code for the apartments.  I've got a few college students living there, so I guess one of them thought they would have fun with me.  

I'm going back to bed now.  Have to be up in two hours.

*These are nice, spacious apartments in a Jewish neighborhood.  Most residents are retired.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife