Author Topic: Well, 7.5 years was a good streak  (Read 1621 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Well, 7.5 years was a good streak
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »
I've managed to avoid flying commercial aircraft for 7.5 years (early 2007).  I've been asked to go on a college recruiting trip for my employer to U Michigan (can't remember which campus) and U Wisconsin-Madison.  I'll fly out to MI on Monday, and then we'll visit the Uni on Tuesday.  The head to WI for a Wednesday campus visit, then fly home Thursday.

Don't know if I have time to visit anyone from here, but if anyone near those schools wants to try to meet up let me know.
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Well, 7.5 years was a good streak
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »
Get down to the auto parts store and purchase a couple of pairs of mechanic's nitrile gloves (they come in blue but the black ones seem to be thicker).  Pull them out of your pocket and don them as you advance in the probulation line.  Tell the TSA weenie you have seen where his/her gloved hands have been and do not want to touch anything their gloves have touched.

Be sure your cellphone camera is in landscape orientation as you record all this.

Some folks have said that declaring that you are flying with a firearm makes getting through the TSA easier.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
I've managed to avoid flying commercial aircraft for 7.5 years (early 2007).  I've been asked to go on a college recruiting trip for my employer to U Michigan (can't remember which campus) and U Wisconsin-Madison.  I'll fly out to MI on Monday, and then we'll visit the Uni on Tuesday.  The head to WI for a Wednesday campus visit, then fly home Thursday.

Don't know if I have time to visit anyone from here, but if anyone near those schools wants to try to meet up let me know.

I haven't flown commercial since 2005 :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »
My last time was 2005 also. And I only flew then because the Army tried to kill my kid and he ended up having some major open heart surgery. I was flying from MT to Raleigh-Durham every other week for about 6 weeks. If I could have I would have driven.

Next month I will be flying to Hawaii, no choice to drive  =(.

bob

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »
My last time was 2005 also. And I only flew then because the Army tried to kill my kid and he ended up having some major open heart surgery. I was flying from MT to Raleigh-Durham every other week for about 6 weeks. If I could have I would have driven.

bob

Ship or swim
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
I haven't flown commercial since 2005 :)

2000 here.  :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:21 AM »
Fistful beats me out  but  not by much. Spring of '01 for me. Just haven't had a reason.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Flown quite a bit since 2002 when I joined the Guard.  Never ceases to amaze me that we can fly a chartered aircraft overseas and carry on board our personal weapons but heaven forbid we try to carry a knife on board.  :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
I haven't flown commercial (or otherwise) since 1991, when I returned from Panama.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
I last flew six weeks ago. I fly around 4-5 times per year on business.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »

http://goo.gl/AdZCV8

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Fly around annually.  Pack your knife in your checked bag.  My personal contacts with TSA have been uneventful, and even pleasant.  But, I'm always early, so never have any sense of rush to get through security.  Been lucky, though, in that the TSA people I've run into weren't the power grabbing/touchy feely types.  I tend to treat them in a business friendly manner.

Oh, and buy yourself a bottle of water after security.  Planes seem drier to me, and there's never a drink on board when you want one. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Been lucky, though, in that the TSA people I've run into weren't the power grabbing/touchy feely types.

Going towards the end of the month, a few days before your monthly bath, helps a lot with this.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
Well, the streak will continue afterall.  Had the trip yanked out from under me.  A UM alumni aparently decided he could go, so he got the trip.  Not a huge disappointment to miss the colleges, but I had planned on working face time with a couple suppliers into the trip.  Having to cancel those plans ticked me off.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 11:52:06 PM »
Good and bad news with the cancellation.

Last time flying for me was 1998. I probably won't fly again in my lifetime.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
Planes seem drier to me

They are.  Less cabin air is recycled in the new planes.  All of that fresh air comes in at very low humidity. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?