Author Topic: Frazil Ice  (Read 8993 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Frazil Ice
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
Yup, we used to have a hill that we'd scream down while one of us watched at the bottom for cars. Usually we turned because at the bottom the road teed but straight ahead was a continuation of the hill,,,in gravel. Well, one day I decided to go straight onto the gravel part rather than turn. Probably doing anywhere between 40-50 mph. Everything was fine for about 0.5 seconds when suddenly the front wheel on the bike buried itself and stopped the bike, instantly. I, unfortunately, did not stop. I flew over the handlebars and pretty much bellyflopped/face planted in the gravel at just about 40-50 mph. Never did try that again. That was one of my better wrecks. Then there was the "Evel Knievel" days a little later in life...  :O

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
And this is how you became known as "Rocky"?

And this is how you came by your chisled good looks?

And that was when you stopped saying "It's all downhill from here?"

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
Look ma, no hands!  :O

Customized by crunch:lol:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
Just "thanks".

Now every event from my yoot where I was just this short of major injury is coming back to mind.  The suspected green stick fractures that I ignored.  The stitches I should've got.  Thanks for bringing up the memories, 280+.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
Anytime, that's what I'm here for!  ;)

=D

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
Anybody ride their bike steering with your feet?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
Nope, never tried wrecking that way.  :laugh:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
Anybody ride their bike steering with your feet?
Nope, never tried wrecking that way.  :laugh:

The zigs and the zags are geometric wonders just prior to the face plant. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lee

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
Drifting ice...drifting thread...drifting memories.  Good stuff.  You always remember the crashes (or other bad stuff that happened along the way), but those events usually spark the recollection of good memories as well.  Recalling the past is a bit like sculpting fog - you know it's there, but you can't quite make it take shape.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »
Look ma, no hands!  :O

Customized by crunch:lol:

I seem to remember a time when I was at the top of the monkey bars and took the fast way down after saying something like that.  No serious injury if I remember right.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »
Speaking of fog.....it drifts.... =D
Age about 10 or so, I recollect lying in deep grass and throwing rocks up in the air and trying to catch them as gravity was exhibiting its reality.  I was just looking at the faded scar on my 67 year old forehead. =D =D  I also learned that the steel cover to the manhole does not respect fingers. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:22:19 PM by grampster »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:38 AM »
Recalling the past is a bit like sculpting fog - you know it's there, but you can't quite make it take shape.

That's almost like poetry, right there.  I like that.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
In college I once decided to ride my mountain bike down the stairs of my townhouse and out the front door.  There was about 4 feet floor between the bottom of the stairs and the door, then a straight drop to the sidewalk a little over a foot.  Said sidewalk had a downward slope after about 4-5 feet of level.

I didn't have time to adjust my weight positioning in the transition from stairs (very steep) to floor to flying, and I exited the townhouse front door at approximately 1000mph with arms straight, legs bent, butt over rear wheel, chest/stomach over the seat.  I promptly rotated about 120 degrees to the rear, and barely made contact with the rear wheel to the pavement before going all the way over to land on my butt, back, head, shoulders, etc.

Cracked my helmet.  Got back up and did it again but did not crash
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage