Author Topic: Nutri System  (Read 7541 times)

DJJ

• friend
Re: Nutri System
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
One thing I've noticed on these NutriSystem commercials where they have some sports has-been saying "I lost 22 lbs . . . " they never, ever say HOW LONG it took him to lose the weight.
More important, they never say how long it took to gain it back.

taurusowner

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 12:06:35 AM »
I don't know about other diets, but I lost 8 lbs in a little over a month simply but not drinking soda at all.  I've also started to not eat at all if it's less than 3 hours before I go to bed, and not eating carbs as much.  It seems to be pretty effective so far.  And the not drinking soda has also helped me not get winded so fast while PTing.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »
I decided to try this.  I'd like to lose 22 pounds.

I'm trying it for four weeks, and comparing with my wife who is on a different diet.  I figured if I can lose 10 pounds in a month with this diet, I'll be happy with it.  Five pounds will still be satisfactory.

So far, after eight days, I've lost 5 pounds.  My wife has lost two pounds. 

I researched this on the web before jumping in, and Nutri-System appears to have a generally very favorable rating.  I found some anti-Nutri sites, too.  One had a woman who claimed that her husband couldn't eat the food because it was so bad tasting.  Another site said the diet was okay, but not for people who wanted to see immediate results.  As you read through those sites you realize they are selling a competing product.

My own results show a fairly immediate weight loss.  And, the food hasn't been bad at all, except maybe the powdered scrambled eggs.  Nothing a lot of salt and pepper and dill weed can't fix, though.  I actually look forward to coming home and picking from one of several dozen different entrees, most of which have been tasty and ... small.  When you buy into the program, you get 28 breakfasts, 28 lunches, 28 suppers, and 28 desserts.  In addition, you receive a guide book to check off what you eat each day, and in addition to those four items you get to eat another dozen of your own choosing ("fruit serving", "vegetable serving", "protein serving", "dairy serving"), and the back of the guide defines what are acceptable choices in each category.  I was afraid I'd be hungry, but that hasn't been the case.  They are all easy to prepare.  Some you add boiling water and wait ten minutes, some you pop into the microwave for 90 seconds.  Some you merely unwrap. 

Most of the suppers are like a frozen tv dinner, except they're not frozen.  I wouldn't plan on long term storage with those.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »
And, the food hasn't been bad at all, except maybe the powdered scrambled eggs.  Nothing a lot of salt and pepper and dill weed can't fix, though.

The special "Dude This Is Killer Good!" spice.  cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
After 15 days, I've lost eight pounds.

I went three or four days in a row without losing any weight, according to my kitchen scales.  I think it had something to do with trying to pass off margaritas as my "fruit serving."  No more margaritas until I finish the diet.

I'm not sure if it was the caloric content of the sweet and sour mixer, or if the tequila lowered my metabolism for the night,  so that I didn't get the overnight weight loss I usually do.

I've decided, on scanty evidence, that diet is much more important than exercise for losing weight, although I'm still on the same exercise regimen I was on before the diet, lifting weights. 

My scanty evidence consists of two data points.  One, if you get on an exercise bike that tells you how many calories you've burned, you discover that you can pedal like crazy for 45 minutes and find out you've burned up the equivalent of ... what, half a candy bar ?

Two, if I weigh myself throughout the day, I discover that I get my greatest weight loss overnight.  No exercise while I'm sleeping, but I lose the most weight anyway.  That, of course, is metabolism, which keeps on chugging all night while I eat nothing at all.  Therefore, diet is the bigger factor.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »
FWIW, I burn about 800cal/hour while biking.  That must be some candybar you're eating if 45min is only half of one. Smiley

I've noticed I lose more weight via diet than exercise as well. 

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
I burn about 800cal/hour while biking

It's been a while since I've been on the exercise bike, so I don't have my exact figures at hand.  800 cal/hr sounds like a lot !  Either my bike needs recalibrating, or you are doing some some powerful biking:  going up hills, cruising at a higher speed, etc.  I suspect the latter, that you are a very accomplished biker; ' course, your user name is a clue.   smiley

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
Figure the mixer at about the same caloric content of a soft drink (120-150 cal per 12 oz).  The tequila will add another 75-80 calories per shot.  Your average single margarita will weigh in at about 200-225 calories.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SomeKid

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »
Roughly 8 pounds in 30 days.

My secret is pretty simple: Rice. I always drank loads of water, so I am continuing that, but adding a small serving of rice is certainly better than eating a fattening meal. I steam it, and put a bit of low sodium soy sauce on (IOW, low sodium salt). The snacks are kind of useful as well. Add to that working more, which is not a sit down job, this thing is slowly working. I can already feel my pants as being a bit looser.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »
I burn about 800cal/hour while biking

It's been a while since I've been on the exercise bike, so I don't have my exact figures at hand.  800 cal/hr sounds like a lot !  Either my bike needs recalibrating, or you are doing some some powerful biking:  going up hills, cruising at a higher speed, etc.  I suspect the latter, that you are a very accomplished biker; ' course, your user name is a clue.   smiley

Dunno if I ride harder than you or not, but I got my numbers from my heart rate monitor.

I did 140 miles this weekend, that was good for about 7000 calories.  Quite a few candybars there. Wink

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
I did 140 miles this weekend

That's a lot.  20 years ago I was somewhat of a bicycle enthusiast, and I know that it takes a good amount of conditioning to go off and ride 100 miles, although I never pursued it to that extent.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »
After 24 days, 8.5 pounds.  I've definitely leveled off; I haven't lost weight from seven days ago.

That does include one big meal in the middle of last week where I went off the diet momentarily for a special occasion.  Went to a Benihana-type restaurant with my wife.  But, I had planned that before I even started the diet, so I didn't actually stray in a moment of weakness.

I still expect to show more progress in the next week.  Looks like I'll buy another month's worth of food, though, and try to reach my goal in another month.  If I do a well next month as this month, I'm there. 

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
My cousin was on Nutri-System for the first six months of his long-term diet, and I can tell from watching him that the system definitely works as long as you have the outside support and pay attention to what it's trying to teach you (portion control).  When he started the plan, his first goal was to weigh less than my brother (Sean is 5'8" and said he was 350.  Colin is 6'4" and was around 280 when Sean set his goal.)  He hit that first goal in about six months.  His second goal was to be able to get back to his graduation weight, which was 240.  Now, he's aiming to get under 200 for the first time in (well) over a decade, and he'll probably hit that by the end of this summer.

He's also coupling his diet with increased exersice.  In high school he used to be an amazing tennis player, but he hasn't been able to play in years.  Now, he's back on the court almost every weekend.

The biggest change though is in his self control.  Sean used to be a seconds, thirds, and fourths type of guy.  The kind who kept eating until there wasn't any more to eat--the concept of leftovers was pretty foreign to him.  Now, even when we go out to eat, it's not uncommon for him to leave half of his steak on the table.  And for weekend barbecues, he's switched from putting away a six pack to nursing a few mini-Corona's over the course of an afternoon.  His rum & cokes are rum& diet cokes now (and like Brad said, most of the calories in mixed drinks come from the mixers.)

He also takes "food education" courses, which teach you every week how to make low-calorie foods, so that when he splurges, he can splurge in a less destructive manner.  He may still be making chocolate cake, but he's making one with half the calories of his mom's recipe, and he's eating slices half as small.  Every little thing adds up.  Nutri-System teaches you that you can still eat what you want, just not as much of it, and with a few small changes.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
dtemplar,

Welcome to the Armed Polite Society !   cool

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »
Vodka7,

If your cousin lost 70 pounds in six months on the Nutri-System diet, I'll take that as good news for my chances of losing another ten pounds on my second month.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 06:28:13 AM »
Just to conclude my exciting report ...

After one month (31 days), I lost 12 pounds on the NutriSystem diet.

It cost me about $320, but my monthly grocery bill went down by nearly that much.  The bigger cost was in craving certain things I can't have on my diet:  fried chicken, barbecued ribs, pizza, margaritas, or Mexican food (there is a beef taco offering, and the meat is really tasty, but it doesn't include cheese, lettuce, salsa, ...).

I would definitely recommend this diet, and I'm going to go one more month with it.

Some of my favorites:

Dinner: 
Cajun Style Chicken & Sausage with Rice
Vegetable Lasagna with Basil Tomato Sauce
Chicken with Dumplings
Cheese & Spinach Ravioli with Meat Sauce

Lunch:
Chicken Noodle Soup
Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Chicken Salad
Fudge Graham Bar
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar

Breakfast:
Apple Strudel Scone
Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Blueberry Pancakes

Dessert:
Zesty Herb Snack Mix
Chocolate Caramel Bar
White Chocolate Chunk Cookie
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pudding
Chocolate Crunch Bar

The oatmeal and chicken salad are as good as any I've had anywhere.  YMMV.