Author Topic: "They are non-native, invasive species" or "Mustangs symbol of the wild west"  (Read 16747 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
even though I agree that they are not indigenous, Conservatives would be shooting themselves in the foot by advocating slaughtering them....maybe just have a wild horse season....ok...That was a joke, don't alert PETA.

I've sometimes thought of making a fake video for youtube about hunting Mustangs, then setting up a place for donations for the prevention of Mustang hunting

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090429/NEWS12/90429023/0/SPECIAL04

WASHINGTON - A key House panel approved legislation Wednesday that would bar federal officials from slaughtering healthy wild horses and burros.

Bureau of Land Management officials have raised the possibility of killing as many as 30,000 wild mustangs they can no longer afford to house in holding facilities after removing them from land that cannot sustain the growing herds.

But Democratic leaders of the House Natural Resources Committee said sterilization of herd members and an expanded adoption program are more humane options.

The bill by committee Chairman Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., and Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., would step up fertility control measures, encourage more adoptions of the animals and provide the more than 60,000 wild horses and burros under federal control with as much as 19 million additional acres on which to roam freely.

"While Americans cheer on the thoroughbreds at Churchill Downs (at the Kentucky Derby) this Saturday, I would submit that the plight of the American mustang is not something of which we can be proud," Rahall said. "While the BLM, the agency charged with their safekeeping, has publicly spoken of killing these majestic creatures as a solution to a burgeoning budgetary problem, I know that we can, and must, do better. This legislation would ensure a safe future for thousands of healthy wild mustangs.

Rahall complained that the horses' range land has been slashed from nearly 54 million acres in 1971 to about 34 million acres today in Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and other Western and Midwestern states. The bill would allow the federal government to buy and exchange land and enter into cooperative agreements with private groups that want to establish wild-horse sanctuaries on private land.

Madeleine Pickens, wife of billionaire T. Boone Pickens, has offered to adopt unwanted horses and burros and create a sanctuary for them on a large ranch in Nevada.

Republicans on the Resources Committee unsuccessfully offered amendments to weaken the bill, which they said gives the wild mustangs and burros protection at the expense of other wild animals and plants.

Rep. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo., called the wild horses "the bullies of the range" because they sometimes chase away deer from their watering holes.

"They are non-native, invasive species," she said.

Grijalva said the bill provides for federal officials to preserve the health of the entire ecosystem, not just the horses.

Congress has been trying to protect wild horses and burros since 1971, when it passed legislation to preserve them.

Snce then, a lack of funding, shrinking range land and alleged mismanagement by federal officials have undermined those protections, Rahall said.

The bill will now be sent to the full House for a vote. It has not yet been taken up by the Senate.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
We had a group of locals taking pot shots at the mustangs near Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix.  Several dead horses.  BLM and USFS were looking for these guys last I heard.  My buddy wanted to go out hunting the guys who shot the horses.  He was pretty angry about it.

Me?  I don't care one way or another about them, really.  It's neat driving through the Kingman/Laughton area and seeing them from time to time, but they're neither "wild" nor "tame."  They're an ornery petting zoo that's been known to kick little kids that run out of feed for pictures.

Cutting the population in half isn't such a bad idea.  I hate to think what BLM (probably the most inept of the interior dept agencies) would do with the carcasses, though.  Leave it to AZGFD to get it done and it will get done humanely, cleanly and safely.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

jackdanson

• friend
Meh, we hunt hogs, what's the difference?  What caliber would you use to humanely drop a horse?  Think .308/30-06 would be enough or would you need a little more oomph?

MicroBalrog

• friend
1. People are just more emotionally attached to horses. The same people who have no problem eating a cow become disgusted when they hear about people eating horse.

2. Let me get this straight. These horses cannot be released into the wild, because there's not enough food for them there. So the only way to maintain them is to keep feeding them in holding facilities, and keeping up a staff of people who take care of them, and so forth... I wonder whose district this is in.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
Hey, what about Camaros?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Leatherneck

• friend
Bureau of Land Management officials have raised the possibility of killing as many as 30,000 wild mustangs they can no longer afford to house in holding facilities after removing them from land that cannot sustain the growing herds.

Why should we pay for the government to house horses in a pen?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
The same reason liberals always have for wasting money: rampant emotionalism divorced from reality.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

castle key

• friend
Meh, we hunt hogs, what's the difference?  What caliber would you use to humanely drop a horse?  Think .308/30-06 would be enough or would you need a little more oomph?

A pretty grim question, but one I can accurately answer.

The round is less important than the location.

A 9 mm or .40 will do.

Draw an X from ear to opposite eye. Where they intersect is the correct location.

Or place nuzzle in ear and aim for opposite eye through the skull.

The horse brain is about the size of a fist so placement is crucial.

Sadly, I have humanely destroyed a horse...broken leg.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I've read about the "draw an imaginary X" method before, it's quite old. I hear it works with a hammer, as well.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Feral horses, when it comes down to it, are little different than deer, moose, elk, or other large ruminent.  Each female will generally drop a foal each spring, resulting in overpopulation if not controlled.  Much like deer, we've eliminated so many of the natural predators for animals that size that humans have to take their place.

Feeding them only exasperates the problem.  There's only so much room for adoption of more or less randomly bred horses.  Birth control doesn't really help, the surviving fertile types will replace the sterilized within a year.

Killing, in most cases, is the only economical option.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Sell 'em to the French, they like horse meat don't they?
I kind of liked it, interesting texture. The dish I ate was a bit over spiced but not bad.

Any feral species with out a natural predator will over populate and over graze it's range. There has to be some kind of control. Adopt them out, cull them, hunt them or?? but something has to be done to control the population.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
I've read about the "draw an imaginary X" method before, it's quite old. I hear it works with a hammer, as well.
Why would you want to shoot a hammer?   =(
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Why would you want to shoot a hammer?   =(

It tried to nail me first....   =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I've sometimes thought of making a fake video for youtube about hunting Mustangs, then setting up a place for donations for the prevention of Mustang hunting

I believe you might be on something that might be step 3.

Here in Illinois the do-gooders closed down a equine slaughterhouse that shipped overseas.  Lost jobs, lost trade, lost income.  And now horse owners have to pay big $$$ to dispose of Mr. Ed when it's time.

http://www.illinoistimes.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A2653
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sumpnz

• friend
Horses are, overall, waaayyy overpopulated right now.  Between the wild ones being adopted out, the lack of slaughter for meat (either there's a ban on the exports or the French aren't buying it anymore), and the fact that with the overall economy in the toilet lots of people are trying to sell their horses the price for horses is basically nothing.  Used to be with the slaughter option there was a price floor as you could always sell the beast for so much per pound to the meat market.  With that gone, or overwhelmed with supply, people can't hardly give their horses away.  My FIL bought one recently for $15.  And he only paid that much becuase it probably came with some tack.  That same horse, 10 years ago, would have probably cost him $1500. 

jackdanson

• friend
Here in Illinois the do-gooders closed down a equine slaughterhouse that shipped overseas.  Lost jobs, lost trade, lost income.  And now horse owners have to pay big $$$ to dispose of Mr. Ed when it's time.

I remember that, I was PO'ed when that happened.  What the heck is the difference between a cow and a horse?  A pig is smarter than either, and we have no problem eating our bacon.

Regolith

• friend
The Wild Horse and Burro act was probably one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation ever enacted.  Right on par with the Assault Weapon Ban.

They were never wild - they are descendants of horses that were released or escaped in the 1800s and early 1900s.  Horses died out in NA 10,000 years ago, and weren't seen again here until they were reintroduced by the Spaniards.

Anyway, in Nevada, the land simply cannot stand being grazed at the level it is.  It'd be nice to cut back on the number of cattle and sheep that are contributing to the overgrazing, but it'd be far easier to simply start eliminating "wild" horses, one way or another.   The biggest problem with wild horses is that, unlike sheep and cattle who have to stay fairly close to water, horses can range out farther and graze land that would normally not be touched by domesticated animals.  And when you get maybe 4" of rain per year, this isn't good.

My father, who works for the BLM in Nevada, has degrees in biology and range management and has to deal with these horses, has come close to putting up a website dedicated to enacting a hunting season on them.   Only thing that stops him is that he's afraid he'd get fired, and he's close enough to retiring that he doesn't want to screw that up.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I remember that, I was PO'ed when that happened.  What the heck is the difference between a cow and a horse?  A pig is smarter than either, and we have no problem eating our bacon.

Horses are pretty.

Ask the same question about dolphins.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Horses are pretty.

Ask the same question about dolphins.
I only eat tuna-free dolphin filets on my sandwiches!
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I quit eating tuna altogether when they took the dolphin out, it just doesn't taste the same.:)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I only eat Japanese tuna.  The Japanese punch a baby dolphin every time they catch a tuna. =D

Can't we tell the Lefties that the mustangs are the pollution of white men.  They will then demand that the horses be killed, with helicopter gunships.

Horses make wonderful gun leather.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.

Can't we tell the Lefties that the mustangs Chicago politicians are the pollution of white men? 

Fixed....and kinda true....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
The same reason liberals always have for wasting other people's money: rampant emotionalism divorced from reality.
Fixed the omission.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
Has anyone ever tasted horse? There's a lot of meat on a horse really. I don't see any problem with eating horse but I know some people are different.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Has anyone ever tasted horse? There's a lot of meat on a horse really. I don't see any problem with eating horse but I know some people are different.

Of course, of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."
----Homer Simpson
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton