Author Topic: HOW IS THIS LEGAL!?  (Read 8032 times)

MikeB

• friend
Re: HOW IS THIS LEGAL!?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
They won't let me near my car without my signing it over to them. Is specifically that legal?

It probably isn't 100% legal, they probably do have a bunch of policies and misquoted laws they will throw at you. You will likely not win a battle directly with this towing company. You will have to go after the management company that has control of your apartment. It sucks but it is what it is.

You should definitely not attempt to destroy or reduce the value of your vehicle in any way whatsoever as has been suggested by some posters. You would likely end up in trouble yourself.

I hate to repeat it, but if there is any chance you can just find a way to pay it and fight it later, it's probably your best option. You might also be able to try and file a civil suit quickly and attempt to get an injuction agains the towing company disposing of your property prior to a ruling.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
An idiot with a Clinton sticker on the back of his car stole the registration sticker from a car of mine when I lived in an apartment place in the People's Republic of California.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
Sindawe's post has what you're looking for. I'd contact the guy at the bottom of the page in the second link.

Get an itemized bill before you tip your hand. If you blow the whistle and don't have a bill, it's your word against theirs that they tried to charge you that much.

Complain to the BBB. Make copies of that state code that limits your liability to $140.  
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »
An idiot with a Clinton sticker on the back of his car

How do you know he was an idiot . . . oh wait.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
Also, AFAIK, they can't do squat until you sign the title over.  It sits there taking up space in their yard while you work to resolve their illegal charges.  To legally do otherwise they have to drag you through court.

Check the lease and make sure they followed every rule to the letter, if they didn't, hose them.  If they did, make sure they are legal in the first place.  It's not legally binding if it's illegal in the first place, in a contract or not.  Also check the wording carefully, what does it say?  Non-registered vehicles?  It was a registered vehicle that just happened to have the sticker stolen, it is their job to verify a vehicle is not registered if they want such provisions.  Therefor, they towed a vehicle outside of the lease terms.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 12:41:07 AM »
I think this stuff happens quite often.

I had a friend that moved with one of those rental truck companies (don't care to mention which one, because the story is not their fault).  One that operates out of places that (typically) do other business besides renting trucks but rents trucks on the side.  Anyway, after moving his stuff, the drop-off location was a towing company.  The towing company said if the truck was dropped off after hours to just park it in the street outfront, as the gate would be locked, and leave the keys in the drop box.  My friend did exactly this.

A month later, my friend gets a bill for $2600+

The same towing company towed the truck because parking on the street is illegal.  They towed it to another lot of theirs.  That was the first ~$1300.  The next morning, they towed it back, to the original lot, the second ~$1300.

This begs the question:
Why have a drop box if you can only park the truck illegally to use said drop box?
Why, when they had the keys, did they tow it back and not just drive it back?

I often wonder if they even ever towed it or just put it inside.

Anyway, my friend made a storm out of the whole thing.  Contacting the trucking company, the BBB, a lawyer and everything.  Eventually, the towing company claimed the person who did all the misdeeds had been fired and the bill just disappeared.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »
I had towing problems with two different places I lived.  The contract towing for apartments is full of abuse.  I had a car towed one time from a parking space in front of my building.  When I went to get it, it had "parked by red curb/fire lane" written on the windshield.  I was very tempted to sue my landlord, but I still had a year on my lease and the towing fee was only $60.  Had I been facing what you are, I'd probably have reported my vehicle as stolen and, at a minimum, filed a small claims suit against my landlord, and filed complaints with the local county or district attorneys office, the state licensing agency for towing companies, and the consumer protection division of the AG's office.  If your state provides for statutory damages and attorney's fees for that kind of case, you might even find a lawyer that will help you with it.

check this out, too:  http://www.dora.state.co.us/puc/consumer/CommentComplaintIndex.htm
For entertainment purposes only.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
Not sure about the towing, but down here the registration stickers go on the inside of your window with the inspection sticker.  We used to put them on the plates, but that was years ago.  I guess that is a good thing. 

Good luck on this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
30 years or so ago - back in my younger dumber single days...

I had problems with a neighbor - he had loud dogs and didn't like the spot the old couple I rented from gave me to park in. We both rented from the same old couple. One night about 2AM I woke up to the sounds of what I thought was my car being stolen.

Looked out the window. Turned out it was a tow truck called by the neighbor who wrongly believed I was parking in his spot behind my house.

Tow truck didn't have any markings which rang a big bell in my head. He was already hooked up I asked him if he'd take $50 to unhook and just go away. NOPE! How about a $100. that was acceptable. Told him I had to go get the money out of my wallet.

I came back with a 1911 and asked him if this would take care of the $100. He said sure and walked over imagining I was going to give him the gun. After correcting that delusion he unhooked my car. I never heard from him again. Strangely enough the loud dog problem cured itself shorthly thereafter too.

Like I said - younger and DUMBER - but hey - what ever works.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
Hmmm, "potentially" crooked towing company, now where have I heard that before ??

Lincoln Park Pirates by Steve Goodman. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHopQAOLKA8
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Can do.. I'll read through my lease and on Monday I'll go get an itemized bill from the towing company. I simply cannot swing $800, not even a bit.
A pair of bolt cutters and a spare car key are much cheaper...

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
A pair of bolt cutters and a spare car key are much cheaper...

Best idea yet. Who is the real thief in this story.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
I'm not actually suggesting that he "steal" back his own car.  I'm just comparing costs.

But suppose he were to do it.  What could the shady towing company do about it?  If they towed his car illegally and tried to extort him, they certainly wouldn't want to involve the courts or the cops.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »
and if they didn't he gets about 3 felonies.... or should i say if he can't prove they did
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
Wow.  Talk about making a bad situation worse.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
HTG you should know better.  We do not condone illegal activity around these parts.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”