Author Topic: English grammar question  (Read 4618 times)

zahc

• friend
English grammar question
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
Example construction:

"I gave it to he who sits in the pilot's seat"

OR

"I gave it to him who sits in the pilot's seat"

The pronoun can't agree with both transitive "gave" and intransitive "sits". So which is it? Avoid the construction altogether?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: English grammar question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
I think it's the first one ("he"), but I would just say I gave it to the pilot.
"It's good, though..."

Warhorse

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Very awkward sentence structure. I agree with zxcvbob. Don't use it. Remember that KISS is quite important.

"I know that you think that you understand what you thought I said but I don't think that you understand that what I said was not what I meant."

How's that for an example of simple sentence structure and clarity?

Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »
Very awkward sentence structure. I agree with zxcvbob. Don't use it. Remember that KISS is quite important.

"I know that you think that you understand what you thought I said but I don't think that you understand that what I said was not what I meant."

How's that for an example of simple sentence structure and clarity?

The guy in the pilot seat has it.
7-11 was a part time job.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:15 PM »
The sentence structure with "he" is correct, but antiquated. Probably was in vogue in the 1700's.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
I think the first one is correct but the quotes are off and it lacks context.  Let's try this.

'I "gave it" to he who sits in the pilot's seat' -- Mabs

See?  That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
I gave it to him, who sits in the pilot's seat.

"him" being the indirect object, and "who sits in the pilot's seat" being a prepositional phrase (I think).

Or:

I gave it to he who sits in the pilot's seat.

(he who sits in the pilot's seat) being the indirect object of the sentence.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:38:37 AM »
And then him gave it back to I.

<nyuck-nyuck-nyuck>

If forced, I'd change it to "I gave it to the person who sits (sat) in the pilot's seat."

Just "giving it to the pilot" presumes the guy in the pilot seat is actually a (the) pilot.  Reasonable, of course, but not inevitable.

My first reaction was to equate "to whom did you give it," with "him"
rather than "he," so I'd have said the correct way to state it would have been "I gave it to him who sits in the pilot's seat"

But I'm not going to sign this one so nobody will know whom posted it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:49:35 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »
Teh pilot, he haz it, cuz i gibbed it to him.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
I gave it to him, who sits in the pilot's seat.

"him" being the indirect object, and "who sits in the pilot's seat" being a prepositional phrase (I think).

Or:

I gave it to he who sits in the pilot's seat.

(he who sits in the pilot's seat) being the indirect object of the sentence.

You chose the correct formulation, but missed the explanation a little.

Him is the object of the preposition "to". Thus, "I gave it to him" (for it to be the indirect object, it would be "I gave him the thing.")

"Who" is the subject of the subordinate clause "who sits in the pilot's seat". (Thus "who" is in its nominative form.)

"Who" is referring back to "him." Pronouns do not have to agree in case with their antecedent.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »
And then him gave it back to I.

<nyuck-nyuck-nyuck>

If forced, I'd change it to "I gave it to the person who sits (sat) in the pilot's seat."

Just "giving it to the pilot" presumes the guy in the pilot seat is actually a (the) pilot.  Reasonable, of course, but not inevitable.

My first reaction was to equate "to whom did you give it," with "him"
rather than "he," so I'd have said the correct way to state it would have been "I gave it to him who sits in the pilot's seat"

But I'm not going to sign this one so nobody will know whom posted it.

Just get rid of the pronoun:  "I gave it to the man in the pilot's seat."  (assumes it wasn't a boy, I guess)
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
"I gave it to the occupant of the pilot's seat."

PC enough?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
How hard is this? If you are a man, simply point in direction of pilot's seat with either finger or slight head nod (preferred) and grunt.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
I presented the item to the carbon-based life form currently occupying the airworthy object's nexus of control.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
What, out of all our combined talents not one English major in the group? :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »
What, out of all our combined talents not one English major in the group? :laugh:

Not an English major, but in addition to Economics, I also majored in Classical Languages in undergrad.

I'm also married to the daughter of TWO English professors. :lol:

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
Not an English major, but in addition to Economics, I also majored in Classical Languages in undergrad.

I'm also married to the daughter of TWO English professors. :lol:

Sorry
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »

Maybe you should have Microbalrog translate it for you?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
English major and editor.

I gave it to the pilot, as zxcvbob stated. Simple is best and using the fewest words to get your point across is one of the key elements in strong writing.

Of course, if the person in the pilot seat isn't the pilot, then you might say, "I gave it to the person who sat in the pilot's seat."
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »

Of course, if the person in the pilot seat isn't the pilot, then you might say, "I gave it to the person who sat in the pilot's seat."

What if it was the person who sat in the pilot's lap?

Brad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:36:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
English major and editor.

I gave it to the pilot, as zxcvbob stated. Simple is best and using the fewest words to get your point across is one of the key elements in strong writing.

Or if you gave it to the person and he is currently sitting in the pilot's seat, whether or not he was sitting in the pilot's seat when you gave it to him, and whether or not you know if he is the pilot, you'd say:

"I gave it to him who sits in the pilot's seat."

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
What if it was the person who sat in the pilot's lap?

Then you'd need to have it translated by Mabs or by Jamis....depending on the gender of the pilot.....

=D

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »

I'm also married to the daughter of TWO English professors.
Sounds like a referral is in order.  Do they do guns?  If so get'em to sign up.  I suspect if we had a few Engrish experts as members the number of language threads would jump.  Can you imagine what it would be like to have an English teacher monitoring our posts?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
"I gave it to him what sits in the pilot's seat.

Fixed it fer ya!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
I think the first one is correct but the quotes are off and it lacks context.  Let's try this.

'I "gave it" to he who sits in the pilot's seat' -- Mabs

See?  That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

I don't "give it" to anyone.

If you know what I mean. ;)
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.