Author Topic: Lets talk about printers.  (Read 3221 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Lets talk about printers.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Canon MF3200 all in one.

USB connection.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 to see if I can get it to talk to that.

It sees the scanner just fine, but it won't recognize the printer.

Printers are freakin primma donnas. I hate them.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 02:56:36 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »
What I don't understand is why the freaking thing wouldn't install "plug and play" when I plugged it into USB. Every other device I've ever had that's supposedly P&P was actually P&P. I also don't understand why it would see the scanner, but not the printer.

Oh well, it functions now. I don't have to keep going into the XP virtual machine and printing from there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
What I don't understand is why the freaking thing wouldn't install "plug and play" when I plugged it into USB. Every other device I've ever had that's supposedly P&P was actually P&P. I also don't understand why it would see the scanner, but not the printer.

Oh well, it functions now. I don't have to keep going into the XP virtual machine and printing from there.

I like and have always had good luck with Canon printers, but have found for best results, to install with their installer CD. There's an option for just setting up print drivers without bloatware. That may also just be with their newer printers. I have an older Pro9000 large format photo printer, and it's always recognized by anything via UB. My Pixma all in one (to be replaced by laser when it quits) is more finicky on the USB. I actually run that one through the RJ45 port and just have it set up as a network printer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
When I got the printer, the DVD that came with it didn't have drivers for Windows 7 64-bit, IIRC. I had to go to Canon's website.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 10:43:38 AM »
I understand that the only real reason for 64-bit is the expanded addressing capability for storage.  Izzat right?

As I said, I think I shoulda got a lowly, funky, archaic, dinosaurish 32-bit machine.  But 64 sounded twice as good.  And newer and better and more sharper leading-edge teknoligy.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
I understand that the only real reason for 64-bit is the expanded addressing capability for storage.  Izzat right?

As I said, I think I shoulda got a lowly, funky, archaic, dinosaurish 32-bit machine.  But 64 sounded twice as good.  And newer and better and more sharper leading-edge teknoligy.

Ask Mtnbkr. I have absolutely no clue.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »
processing speed and the amount of memory you can put to use.  32bit can only address up to 4gb.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »

Over the years, for the HP printers, I've learned that it's best to follow the instructions exactly.  Run the installer, and don't plug USB in until the installer tells you to.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
I still wonder about this because, well, printer.  The driver is basically a fancy way of getting a postscript file to the thing.

That's a cute theory, but the days of being able to select "generic PostScript printer" in the driver dialog and think it will do anything at all are long gone.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »
That's a cute theory, but the days of being able to select "generic PostScript printer" in the driver dialog and think it will do anything at all are long gone.

I could probably get away with that for the Laserjet 4250 right next to me.

Cheap-o printers, no.  They usually count on the computer doing most of the work.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
Over the years, for the HP printers, I've learned that it's best to follow the instructions exactly.  Run the installer, and don't plug USB in until the installer tells you to.

Well, IIRC, Canon's instructions were:

1. Unpack.

2. Plug in the UPS and let it do its thing.

3. Run the disk. If you have Win 7 64-bit, go to our website and get the drives, then run the disk again.

4. Print.

5. Scream in fury because no matter how many times you try, it won't *expletive deleted*ing print.

Not *expletive deleted*ing rocket science, and it never worked until I found the thing online that told me to manually install the drivers.

Oh, and when I started up the XP virtual machine?

"INTALLING YOUR PLUG AND PLAY PRINTER! YOUR PLUG AND PLAY PRINTER IS NOW READY TO USE! PRINT SOMETHING, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
My Canon printer works great with Win7 professional.  Always has.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
Mine does now, too.

I remember calling you and not getting any help...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »

Incorrect, actually.  There's also more commands available in the 64-bit modes down at the processor level to speed things up.  Learned about that in my assembly class.

A lot better, actually.  32bit is limited to 4GB worth of addressing, assuming you need to be able to work down at the byte level.  If you increase the smallest address you can address to 4 bytes, it would be 16GB. 

With 64 bit addressing, I can address 4GBx4GB worth of data.  2^64 rather than 2^32.  Roughly speaking, it means that I can have a 'pointer', IE an address, for every single atom that composes the Earth.  And probably the rest of the solar system...

Now, the extra command side is a lot more modest - but it's enabled a lot of the performance improvements.

Well, I did say 'fancy'.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »
Yeah, but.  It doesn't run a lot of things that I, personally, like to run without special techniques (virtual XP box, e.g.)  Biggest example, my scanner, which pisses me off because it's an older perfectly adequate HP scanner which Win7 64-bit on my HP G72 laptop won't see.  

My C:/ is barely half full after 3-4 years, downloading hundreds of pics and large verbal documents, etc.  I'm not handling tons of data bases, etc. as in an office situation, or gaming, or anything hyper.

I shoulda got a 32-bit.   :facepalm:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.