Author Topic: Old USS Dewey sailor visits the new USS Dewey  (Read 2476 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Old USS Dewey sailor visits the new USS Dewey
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
After signing my Pop, EM2 Bud Cloud (circa Pearl Harbor) up for hospice care, the consolation prize I’d given him (for agreeing it was OK to die) was a trip to “visit the Navy in San Diego.”

I emailed my friend and former Marine sergeant, Mrs. Mandy McCammon, who’s currently serving as a Navy Public Affairs Officer, at midnight on 28 May. I asked Mandy if she had enough pull on any of the bases in San Diego to get me access for the day so I could give Bud, who served on USS Dewey (DD-349), a windshield tour.

The next day she sent me an email from the current USS Dewey (DDG 105)’s XO, CDR Mikael Rockstad, inviting us down to the ship two days later.

http://idrivewarships.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/a-sailors-dying-wish/

BZ to the crew of the USS Dewey for making this happen.

bob

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Old USS Dewey sailor visits the new USS Dewey
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
Is it just me or is there something wrong with my monitor going all blurry?

Later that night Bud sat in his recliner, hands full of ship’s coins and declared, “I don’t care what you do with my power tools; you better promise you’ll bury me with these.”

:rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »
Have to finish reading that later.  Dusty in here.  Got in my eyes about halfway through.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »
That story gives one the warm fuzzies.  Thanks for sharing, BobR.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »
I got to him being piped ashore before my monitor went on the fritz

Fare well, squid, with following seas.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:29:19 AM »
No words
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
That's awesome.  Too bad the photo at the end is all out-of-focus. 

Well done, sailor.  Be thou at peace.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
Great story! It sure stirs the heart.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
Darn monitors have gone blurry.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
He died 13 days later. For 12 of those 13 days he talked about the Dewey, her Sailors and his visit to San Diego. Everyone who came to the house had to hear the story, see the photos, hold the coins, read the plaques.

Yes, a great story.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »
Sounds like a nationwide problem with blurry monitors.  It's really bad here.

G-dspeed and following seas.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Some kind of dust storm in here . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
Great story.  Now I have to reinstall my video drivers and reboot.  That must be it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »

I met Major Winters once, before Band of Brothers came out. Seemed like a very nice man. Kinda an "oh ****, that old guy killed how many Nazis?" moment after I saw Band of Brothers.

Second "oh ****" moment. I just found out I pass his grave each and every day, it's about 3 minutes from my house. Guess I'll stop by to make sure it's kept up, make sure there's a flag flying. As I recall, he wasn't a big drinker, or I'd leave an appropriate shot for him.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
.... As I recall, he wasn't a big drinker, or I'd leave an appropriate shot for him.

No need for him to have been a drinker.  And even if it's merely one of those airline almost-a-full-shot bottles, it's the thought that counts.

As long as one of us remembers them, they will not die.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.