Author Topic: Another Rooski airplane doing its thing, Su-30  (Read 2759 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Another Rooski airplane doing its thing, Su-30
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=77e_1389637750

The Su30, very F15ish looking, but looks to be a touch more nimble. I wonder if they have upgraded the engines since it was first released. It has always been known for its ability to maneuver.

bob
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:17:32 PM by BobR »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Another Rooski airplane doing its thing, Su-30
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
Wow.  Do they do that maneuvering with vanes in the exhaust stream or something?  Seems like at some of those slow speeds, the aero control surfaces would be inadequate.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
Yeah, definitely vectored thrust.  Probably impossible to fly without computer control, too.  The Harrier is nearly impossible to fly, and it's not half that maneuverable.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Yeah, definitely vectored thrust.  Probably impossible to fly without computer control, too.  The Harrier is nearly impossible to fly, and it's not half that maneuverable.

Bah. The Harrier is easy. Heck, Ah-nold got the hang of it, and only took out one patrol car in the process. Was Prince "Randy Andy" Andrew a Harrier pilot in the Falkland Islands war, or was he a chopper pilot?

Seriously, the way those Russki planes can just stand on their tails in mid-air is VERY impressive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
The single vertical stab plane is a Eurofighter, and most likely a large scale RC too, still searching. As for the Sukhoi, the Russians have been building beautiful planes for a long time. Now if they just had radars and datalinks in the same century. And to complete my grump, airshow maneuvers are often designed to show off a plane's control envelope. Nothing really translates into crap you would pull when people were shooting at you. I love that video commentators say that dogfighting is obsolete, that's why we have short range IR homing missiles and guns right?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Also, the planes they bring to international air shows (any country) are usually the newest and prettiest ones they have.

IRL, the MiG 21s, 23s and25s I was fortunate (unfortunate?) to see up fairly close while minding our own business in the Sea of Okhotsk were pretty nasty looking grimy planes. But they were flying, which at that time was quite an accomplishment. ;)

Watching an F22 do an airshow routine is pretty jaw dropping also.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
The single vertical stab plane is a Eurofighter, and most likely a large scale RC too, still searching. As for the Sukhoi, the Russians have been building beautiful planes for a long time. Now if they just had radars and datalinks in the same century. And to complete my grump, airshow maneuvers are often designed to show off a plane's control envelope. Nothing really translates into crap you would pull when people were shooting at you. I love that video commentators say that dogfighting is obsolete, that's why we have short range IR homing missiles and guns right?

I hope they dont advance their avionics much. Same for the Chinese. When we go to war against them in the future we want every advantage we can get
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »
The aggressor squadron I work in focuses a lot on Chinese tactics and not so much Russian. Every zomg media report about the latest chinese super weapon really never takes into account American electronic warfare and command and control capabilities. I'm sure they'd do better than the Iraqi air farce, but not sure by how much.
AKA Navy Joe   

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
I hope they dont advance their avionics much. Same for the Chinese. When we go to war against them in the future we want every advantage we can get
Why worry about a deficiency in avionics when you make your opponent's electronics that go into their avionics.  We are not really that smart.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
Why worry about a deficiency in avionics when you make your opponent's electronics that go into their avionics.  We are not really that smart.

QFT.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Cute.  Nice smoke, too.

But can they do an outside loop from under 2000 feet?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
The Russians have been known to break their airplanes at airshows in rather spectacular fashions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »
Bah. The Harrier is easy. Heck, Ah-nold got the hang of it, and only took out one patrol car in the process. Was Prince "Randy Andy" Andrew a Harrier pilot in the Falkland Islands war, or was he a chopper pilot?

Seriously, the way those Russki planes can just stand on their tails in mid-air is VERY impressive.

A few years ago at the Reno Air Races, I watched a Blue Angel's F-18 do that very thing in front of the grandstands.  The ruskies aren't the only ones with tricks up their sleeves. ;)
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »

It's the system integration and the code where "the magic" happens. Unless they successfully sneak a back-door into the IC's it doesn't make a difference.

We actually are now at the place where it comes to radar and avionics and missiles where we thought/hoped we were with the F4's in the Vietnam era when we produced them without any kind of guns or cannon. Look down/shoot down and BVR and OTH capabilities are now rather robust in our systems.

Personally, all the controlled stalls and "cobra head maneuvers" the Russian planes can do just makes me think the "fighter mafia" has an even tighter stranglehold over their airforce than the American fighter mafia does ours, to their detriment if they should ever go head-to-head.

I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
It's also the meatware behind the stick that makes the biggest difference.  Training and maintenance wins every time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
The Russians have been known to break their airplanes at airshows in rather spectacular fashions.

Accompanied by lots of body parts among the spectators  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
Definitely some RC footage mixed in.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
A few years ago at the Reno Air Races, I watched a Blue Angel's F-18 do that very thing in front of the grandstands.  The ruskies aren't the only ones with tricks up their sleeves. ;)

I think it was NASA that rigged up an F-15 to do that kind of stuff.  Vectored thrust and all.

Standing on its tail is cool and stuff, but I see lots of curved surfaces and inside corners.  Should make an efficient target.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
It's the system integration and the code where "the magic" happens. Unless they successfully sneak a back-door into the IC's it doesn't make a difference.

We actually are now at the place where it comes to radar and avionics and missiles where we thought/hoped we were with the F4's in the Vietnam era when we produced them without any kind of guns or cannon. Look down/shoot down and BVR and OTH capabilities are now rather robust in our systems.

Personally, all the controlled stalls and "cobra head maneuvers" the Russian planes can do just makes me think the "fighter mafia" has an even tighter stranglehold over their airforce than the American fighter mafia does ours, to their detriment if they should ever go head-to-head.

I once showed a film of a Soviet jet doing one of those "standing on their tail" type of tricks to the son of a friend of my mother who'd flown F-105 "Thuds" in 'Nam.  He said "they must look like a great target to the jet on their 'six'."
 >:D
Yeah ... it may look pretty but just what IS it's wartime application? =D :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
Yeah ... it may look pretty but just what IS it's wartime application? grin angel

The non-pilot proponents of it claim that if you have an opponent above and slightly behind you you can get them with the Cobra manuever.

Every fighter pilot I've talked to laughs their ass off at that.

It's an airshow manuever...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
So, apparently India has a joint development deal with Russia for a "5th Generation" stealth jet, and they aren't at all impressed with the prototype:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/26/russian-rubbish-india-reportedly-disappointed-with-stealth-fighters-from-moscow/?intcmp=obinsite

The Russian prototype is "unreliable, its radar inadequate, its stealth features badly engineered,” said Indian Air Force Deputy Air Marshall S Sukumar at a Jan. 15 meeting, according to minutes obtained by the Business Standard.

Yeah, this thing can do tail-stands, but if its hardware is built to similar standards, it probably wouldn't survive a 'standup' fight.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
The non-pilot proponents of it claim that if you have an opponent above and slightly behind you you can get them with the Cobra manuever.

Every fighter pilot I've talked to laughs their ass off at that.

It's an airshow manuever...

Yes, that's all it is. Shows off some amazing aspect of the flight envelope. Any combat maneuver that bleeds your energy off to zero would be most welcome to your opponent.
AKA Navy Joe   

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
Not always.

Harrier pilots used their thrust vectoring to good effect in dogfights.   

Getting whomever's on your tail to overshoot and present their 6 o'clock to you is quite useful.

You can do that with speed brakes, thrust vectoring, unbalanced (non-stable) fly-by-wire flight controls, you name it. 

Obviously, preventing an aggressor from getting into firing position would be the best solution, but if you're already in a pinch, it's nice to have a Plan B.

You're limited by how many G's the pilot can endure in the violent maneuver, but it's already part of the training for our folks in the cockpit.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
Not always.

Harrier pilots used their thrust vectoring to good effect in dogfights.  

Getting whomever's on your tail to overshoot and present their 6 o'clock to you is quite useful.

You can do that with speed brakes, thrust vectoring, unbalanced (non-stable) fly-by-wire flight controls, you name it.  

Obviously, preventing an aggressor from getting into firing position would be the best solution, but if you're already in a pinch, it's nice to have a Plan B.

You're limited by how many G's the pilot can endure in the violent maneuver, but it's already part of the training for our folks in the cockpit.

I recall the claim that Harriers did those maneuvers....but.......
Shortly after the Falklands War ended I remember reading an article, I think in Space and Aviation Weekly in which the British CAG (Air Group Commander) aboard one of the carriers that had participated in the war unequivocally stated that no Harrier used the "VIFF" maneuver during the War because,as French G. said; "Any combat maneuver that bleeds your energy off to zero would be most welcome to your opponent."
Also, it took too long for the Harrier to regain the lost airspeed. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:53:39 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
Only if he survived his own overshoot.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"