Author Topic: Fish and chips recipe..... 2 thumbs up  (Read 6947 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Fish and chips recipe..... 2 thumbs up
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »
I finally gave up on tilapia a few years ago when we went out to dinner at that Tex-Mex place in Springfield (I think that's where it was).

I wanted fish tacos, but they were made with tilapia. I took the chance, and I did NOT enjoy them. I could taste the bitterness through all of the taco stuff.

"My hair is perfect thank you very much."

If you're going to the "Hellen Keller cut my hair" look....

You've aced it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
Fish & Chips may well be my favorite food, but only if it's made with cod.

If you try to serve me fish & chips made with tilapia, I'll through it at you.

did you mean toss or penetrate ?
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »
Scavenger vs feces-fed farm-raised fish.  I think the scavenger still rates higher.

I'v e seen those scavengers nibbling on a human body.  I'll stick to tilapia.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
Because it tastes good?

I'll make you fried/battered fish if we ever meet.  I'll cook halibut, ling cod, rockfisk, and cabezon.  Only I will know for certain which is which.  My money is on you getting no more than 2 correct, probably none or one.  You have a 25% chance just guessing

When you can find it out here ling cod is about half the price of halibut, at most.  Rockfish usually is 1/5 or less the price of halibut.  Not many people can tell the difference between them when looking at skinless fillets, or when eating them baked/broiled/grilled.  I have yet to meet anyone that can tell the difference when deep fried.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
I will come over, you can keep the halibut and load me up on the other three. :)

bob

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
I'll make you fried/battered fish if we ever meet.  I'll cook halibut, ling cod, rockfisk, and cabezon.  Only I will know for certain which is which.  My money is on you getting no more than 2 correct, probably none or one.  You have a 25% chance just guessing

When you can find it out here ling cod is about half the price of halibut, at most.  Rockfish usually is 1/5 or less the price of halibut.  Not many people can tell the difference between them when looking at skinless fillets, or when eating them baked/broiled/grilled.  I have yet to meet anyone that can tell the difference when deep fried.

Yep, this is why I get most of my fish cooked any way but fried. 

Fish & chips & catfish are about the only exceptions, but they are part of an ensemble: "fish & chips," southern fried catfish meal with greens & cornbread.  Damn, I would love some greens right about now.  Made with fat back and cooked 4+hours.

I want to have no truck with fried shellfish.  It all tastes like "fried," not like clams or shrimp, or whatnot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »

Four years in La Push, one in Port Angeles, four in Tillamook and eight in Fort Bragg, CA.  I'll take that bet and enjoy the fish no matter what!  I've spent the last 6 months either frozen off the water or trying to figure out Lake Michigan but the perch here are pretty good.  Whitefish makes a good freshwater choice for fish and chips too.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
You can keep your seefood. I'll take fresh caught, slab sided, plate size pan fish for frying. Catch them big bluegill and crapie all afternoon and then cook them up outside by the water drinking beer all night.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
I love fish ands chips, but I will *expletive deleted*ing cut you for fried oysters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »
I love fish ands chips, but I will *expletive deleted* cut you for fried oysters.

Just make sure you don't get any blood on the fried oysters.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Here in the PNW, it is not uncommon to find salmon or halibut as fish and chips.  Both are excellent. 

Haven't seen salmon for fish and chips yet here in Oregon, but most places have halibut, either as a more expensive upgrade or as the only option (such as at the brewpub here in town). Not sure if salmon would be good fried or not; I've always had it either baked, grilled, or smoked.

As for whitefish, personally I don't care if it's halibut, cod, Alaskan pollock, or even talapia, just so long as it's not overcooked.  Can't really taste much of a difference. For fish and chips I usually go for the least expensive option.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Beer-battered bluegill caught just a few hours previously, with cottage fries and Spotted Cow.

I love British-style fish & chips (thanks to my many government vacations over there), but fresh bluegill and walleye take it to the next level for me!

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
Haven't seen salmon for fish and chips yet here in Oregon

We are far more likely to find it in the coastal fishing ports where the salmon boats bring it into the local restaurants: Westport, Ilwaco, Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
We are far more likely to find it in the coastal fishing ports where the salmon boats bring it into the local restaurants: Westport, Ilwaco, Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc.

Ah; when I go to the coast it's usually Lincoln City or Newport area. Haven't been up that way since I was a kid.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth