Author Topic: And some people are scared of a few little spiders  (Read 2229 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
And some people are scared of a few little spiders
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
Something like this is what the real nightmares can be made of.

This video is 3 years old, I wonder if they are still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DaGsnFv_00

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: And some people are scared of a few little spiders
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »
Why the *expletive deleted*ck would you get that close to that many pissed off snakes on purpose?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
It looks like early spring and they are just coming out of their winter den, so even though they are pissed, they are fairly slow. I grew up in SW Oklahoma and we had a small mountain range nearby where we would go climbing over the boulders. Every now and then you would catch a really musty/musky smell and often that would be a den of rattlesnakes finishing up their wintering over. Definitely enough to give you the willies for a few days.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
I admit to being scared ___less of snakes. ALL snakes. Just watching that on video left me feeling queasy.

I don't think I'd last long in serious rattlesnake territory.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
I don't think I'd last long in serious rattlesnake territory.

It is a safe bet to say that most of the US has at least one type of rattlesnake living there. There are a few pockets where they have not been recorded, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, good possibility, but not definitive. Rattlesnakes are elusive and not prone to be caught out in the open, if they don't want you to know they are there, it is possible to step right over one and not know it. I used to do the yearly rattlesnake hunt in Apache, OK and while we brought in a ton of snakes, it didn't seem to put much of a dent in the population.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
In all my days of prowling around the wild, I only heard and saw one rattler.  Up on the Grasslands.  The amazing thing about it is I jumped four feet away before the brain could even integrate what the sound was --like it was a built-in reflexed neural circuit between the ears and the legs.  

Never forgot that.

No, I just walked away after I located it a second or two later.  Maybe I shoulda shot it, but I didn't.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:43:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
It is a safe bet to say that most of the US has at least one type of rattlesnake living there. There are a few pockets where they have not been recorded, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, good possibility, but not definitive.

Oh, they are in my state. I know of an abandoned quarry up-state that's noted for being a rattlesnake pit. My father ran over one with a lawn mower when I was about five years old but, mercifully, I haven 't seen (or heard) one since then. I'm sure they are out there, but what I've seen near the house are non-venomous black snakes. (And even seeing them gives me the willies.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
We see a lot more "bull snakes" (gopher snakes) around here than rattlers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
When it comes to snakes, I shoot first and ask questions later.

Like Hawkmoon, I am scared *expletive deleted*it less of the damn things.

When it comes to venomous snakes, we have mostly copperheads around here, but I've heard there are mountain rattlers, too.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
When I was in grade school a guy doing a presentation brought in a Eastern Diamondback's head- in a big mason jar of alcohol- that snakes head about filled the jar- he had a photo of a local guy holding a dead diamondback at arms length, by the neck- the guy was about 5'10" and there was two foot of snake on the ground. There was a reason the hills behind our place was called "Rattlesnake Mountain", though growing up there, I never once saw a rattlesnake in the wild.  Did see a copperhead once, my buddy stepped on it, pinning it into a hollow of the rock he was walking on.  The snake could not move, and my friend could not move without freeing it- he was about petrified, especially as he came from a hill family with a lot of backwoods lore about the evils of snakes.  So I said, "Eddie, Eddie, don't move! I'll be right back!" , ran off and got a  rock and we managed to coordinate the "jump and smash" maneuver . that one was pretty small, maybe 18" or two foot long, something like that.  I was half afraid he was going to jump too far, as we were on the top of a washed out old dam with a vertical drop of 50' - the 1938 hurricane washed it out along with half the rest of New England.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
In SW Oklahoma, where I grew up we had rattlesnakes, copperheads and the ones I hated the most, water moccasins. I was out shore fishing one day and went to grab a fresh minnow out of the minnow bucket and look straight into the mouth of a water moccasin. I must have left the lid open on the minnow bucket so he went in and helped himself. Scared the bejeesus out of me! He did not survive the fright.

Where I am now, we have some type of rattler. I was working one morning when a guy showed up at the ER and said he was bit by a rattler, and he had it with him. He was on a school football field and when he picked up his gear bag it bit him on the base of his thumb. It was the neatest snake I have ever seen, it was so small it had to be a newborn (newhatched?). It was about 8" long and smaller around than a pencil, but it had the perfect rattlesnake markings. I tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't give it up. We figured it was so new, that when it struck him, it didn't have enough venom or had used it earlier because we don't think he even got envenomated. A tetnus shot and he was good to go.

bob

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »
I am general good with snakes. But that woulda sent me running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
Meh...

Snake has to bite you to hurt you.

Droppings, spores, hantavirus.. can get you airborne.  :P
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »
Napalm!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 06:41:45 AM »
Meh...

Snake has to bite you to hurt you.

Droppings, spores, hantavirus.. can get you airborne.  :P

I agree. There are lots worse things out there.
I can understand the folks with phobias (I won't make fun of anyone's phobias), but y'all know I haven't met a critter or caliber I don't like.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
I agree. There are lots worse things out there.
I can understand the folks with phobias (I won't make fun of anyone's phobias), but y'all know I haven't met a critter or caliber I don't like.  =)

My ex-wife can be there by Wednesday.

Feel free to use any of the calibers you have met.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
Something like this is what the real nightmares can be made of.

This video is 3 years old, I wonder if they are still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DaGsnFv_00

bob

I never knew Rattlers were so social.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
The amazing thing about it is I jumped four feet away before the brain could even integrate what the sound was --like it was a built-in reflexed neural circuit between the ears and the legs.  

They've found parts of the human brain hardwired from birth to recognize snakes by sight (hardwired snake circuit = faster response time), maybe there's one there for snake sounds, too.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
I'm debating getting the rattlesnake vaccine for my bird dog.  Some of the spots we hunt and fish (quite possibly near where this video was taken) are prime rattler territory.  My hesitation is up here we have prairie rattlers which are a "might help" indication on available vaccine instead of being intended for it.  One of the guys in my hunting club is a vet (retired but is keeping his certification or whatever current) and was part of the clinical trials of the vaccine in California.  He offered to do it for me for cost.  I'm not sure get gets that we have a different species of rattler than what he trialed though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »
Growing up we would get them on our south-facing porch come early Spring. It got plenty of sun and the concrete stayed noticeably warm for hours after dark. Giving the stoop a good look before stepping off was just the way it was 'round those parts.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »
Why the *expletive deleted* would you get that close to that many pissed off snakes on purpose?

By the way the camera moves it seems like it's on a pole.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Darned double posting problem.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:13:02 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »
They've found parts of the human brain hardwired from birth to recognize snakes by sight (hardwired snake circuit = faster response time), maybe there's one there for snake sounds, too.

And someone else said, "(And even seeing them gives me the willies.)"

I'm sure there are a lot of hardwired mechanisms in the brain, and after my own buzz-jump experience, I'm positive there's one for snakes... visual and aural.  At least in my own central nervous system.