Author Topic: And some people are scared of a few little spiders  (Read 2230 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: And some people are scared of a few little spiders
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
And someone else said, "(And even seeing them gives me the willies.)"

I'm sure there are a lot of hardwired mechanisms in the brain, and after my own buzz-jump experience, I'm positive there's one for snakes... visual and aural.  At least in my own central nervous system.

You can say that again  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
Re: And some people are scared of a few little spiders
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
Growing up we would get them on our south-facing porch come early Spring. It got plenty of sun and the concrete stayed noticeably warm for hours after dark. Giving the stoop a good look before stepping off was just the way it was 'round those parts.

Brad
My parents house used to have a concrete block at the garage door that caught some late evening sun.  One day coming home, I walked up on two copperheads sunning.  Thankfully, someone had left the shovel right by the door.  They didn't last long.

Snakes were not allowed in the yard on pain of death.  My mother stepped on a copperhead when I was little and doesn't like snakes at all. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge