Author Topic: "I Am Lovable And Capable"  (Read 3832 times)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
"I Am Lovable And Capable"
« on: January 16, 2006, 07:09:06 AM »
Preacherman's thread about grade inflation, and (specifically) the part about kids being told to say "I am..." followed be some sweetness-and-light adjective, reminded me of a program that was inflicted upon my class, way back when I was in the third grade.  That'd put it in 1982 or so.  

The program was called "I Am Lovable and Capable", and it purported to teach us third-graders about how we affect each other's self esteem, and how (if only we knew that) we could make sure that no one ever hurt anyone's feelings ever again.  Whereupon war would cease, disease would disappear, and all unpleasantness would be banished from the world forever, amen.  Or something like that.  I remember that the psychologist who visited the classroom to run the program had the bright eyes I generally associate with fanatics and rabid animals.  She was a True Believer, there was no doubt of that.

The premise of the program was this:  At the beginning of the day, each student in the class would be issued a half-sheet of white paper, upon which we were to write the letters "IALAC" (the initials of the program) no less than three inches tall.  Then we were to pin the piece of paper to the front of our shirts.  All day long, if anything hurt our feelings, or caused our self esteem to lessen in any way, we were to tear off a piece of the paper (size proportional to the depth of the hurt we'd suffered) and write upon it the cruel circumstance that occasioned the tearing, and keep the torn bits in our pockets.

At the end of the day, we were to gather together "in an environment of sharing", and each student would, in turn, stand up and read each of his or her torn bits, thus enlightening all present about how  they might have avoided crushing the current student's fragile ego.

Bright Eyed Psychologist Lady was especially looking forward to hearing what I had to say, because better than half of my IALAC sign was gone by the time we gathered.  When it was my turn, I stood up, and pulled out the largest of my torn bits, looked right at her, and said, "All day long, the rest of the school has been laughing at us for having paper pinned to our shirts, like we were a bunch of retards."[0]  Then I sat down, as the rest of the class nodded agreement.  

The saddest part of the whole thing is that the psychologist (who, theoretically, knew something about how people think) didn't figure out in advance that children (which are basically pack animals) would sieze upon and stigmatize a group that was doing something that didn't conform to the social norms of the general school populace.  She was shocked (shocked) to find out that other kids had laughed at us.

I formed my opinion of the psychological profession on that day.  With age and experience, my opinion hasn't changed much.

Was anyone else ever used as a guinea pig for some do-gooder social experiment in school?

-BP

• I have learned a certain amount of diplomacy in my life, but I had precious little at the time.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 08:52:15 AM »
She was shocked (shocked) to find out that other kids had laughed at us.
Anyone who fails to recognize that children are cruel, petty, and spiteful for no good reason is a clueless nitwit.

I am Jack's spite.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »
Was anyone else ever used as a guinea pig for some do-gooder social experiment in school?
I had to read "What Color is Your Parachute?" for a class in middle school.  I took the class thinking it was going to educate us about different professions, but it was more like a psychological experiment.  "Let's take a junior college level course on matching your education/skill/interest/ability/etc. to various professions and see how eleven-year-old kids handle it."  It might have been a good class for a high school or college senior, but it was totally wasted on us.  I think one test I took determined that garbage man would be a compatible occupation for me.  Maybe it was right.
For entertainment purposes only.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »
They never really screwed with us in gradeschool. I never had much respect for the pseudoscience of psychology either.

In a 6th grade  religeon class they asked us to write an essay about what life would be like if there were no laws or rules. I pretty much wrote that I would sit on the back porch with a rifle and shoot anyone who tried to raid the garden, take any of our stuff, or hurt anyone in my family. I didn't get high marks for that essay, in fact I flunked religeon class that year. Smiley
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 03:30:51 AM »
Isn't that Underdog's catch phrase?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 05:10:12 AM »
Quote from: BrokenPaw
My fourth grade teacher tried, slowly and methodically, to guilt trip all of us into becoming vegetarians.  Does that count?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:34:51 AM »
It's less that Psychology is a "pseudo-science" than it is an inexact science.  A major problem lies in the amount of truth in the old, old joke, "Folks major in psychology in order to find out what's wrong with themselves."

From the Old, Old Daze:  My mother was still a teeny-bopper Smiley when she entered the University of Texas.  Not yet 16.  She first got a degree in History, around 1930 or so.  I came along in 1934.  She went back to work on a Doctorate in Psych and was degreed in 1942.  Her dissertation was on the learning processes of the blind, which led to consultancy with the Army because of VA assistance to guys with head wounds and blindness--and a listing in "American Men of Science" (Highly amusing to her).

She turned out to have a really high degree of adminstrative talent.  She was a clinic director in the Florida mental health program.  So, both a psychologist and a BossLady.

She was superb in both arenas, but she'd be among the first to say that Psych is inexact.  However, inexact is a lot better than nothing at all.

Don't judge an arena by the participants themselves.  Not all who play are truly skilled...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:53:26 AM »
Heh...  I'm taking a Women's Studies course.  

Thus far I've gotten two infuriated fish-face looks (that's where the mouth flops open and shut but no words come out) from a couple of the more flaming liberal girls in the class.  Oddly, the rest of them seem to really like what I have to say.  It's quite a learning experience.  The touchy-feely do-gooder BS in that class is astounding.  I did, however, manage to get the point across that rallies, petitions, protective orders, and singing kumbaya around a campfire will not protect anybody from an angry ex-boyfriend.  I wrestled a rather stout and well-trained young lady to the ground (entirely voluntarily, of course) just using brute strength.  It got their attention.  Score one for our side.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »
"My fourth grade teacher tried, slowly and methodically, to guilt trip all of us into becoming vegetarians.  Does that count?"

Every school needs a teaching DI. That's the answer.

"Miss Winters! Why are you here! State your purpose for existing in my teaching corps!

"to mold young minds.."

"BULLSH! YOU'RE HERE TO TEACH ALGEBRA, NOT ADVANCE SOME NAMBY PAMBY AGENDA! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!"

(Miss Winters starts crying and runs off)

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 03:24:24 PM »
What I have great difficulty with is this idea that you can "give" self-esteem.  Where in heck did this stupid notion come from?

Self-esteem comes from meeting and overcoming challenges.  The whole deal with teaching is to set up situations which offer challenge, but aren't beyond the capabilities of the kids.

Same for "respect".  I can act in a respectable manner toward even a drone, but that's no more than courtesy and politeness.  I can't give somebody respect, nor inculcate self-respect.  Respect from others can only be earned.

Why'n'ell is this so difficult for people to understand?

Art

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 04:03:05 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
A major problem lies in the amount of truth in the old, old joke, "Folks major in psychology in order to find out what's wrong with themselves."
Smiley, Art
Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!  Put a keyboard for me on your tab, Art!

My sister in law is THE pre-eminent youth drug abuse counselor in upstate New York.  Created a bunch of programs, gets honoraria for coming around to other non-profits and teaching her "methods".

I happen to know she never touched even a beer before her 20th birthday.  What's more, she and her husband have no children (YOUTH Drug/Alcohol Abuse expert?!?) and are now teetotalers.

They ARE politically conservative, which I'm glad for, but geez, there seems to be a discrepancy there between theory and practice. rolleyes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »
Art and I, mostly being from the same generation, have a unique seat in the game of life.  We've observed, nay lived through some monumental social changes.

I went through 8 years of elementary education at The Holy Name of Jesus school.  Taught by the Sister's of Mercy.  (who had no mercy, indeed).  Let me say unequivocally that the self esteem that I garnered came from a learning environment that was strictly disciplinarian in which learning was demanded.  Valuable learning opportunity comes at you from different tangents.  The present day notion that self esteem comes from wimpy, effeminate (sorry ladies, just a descriptive adjective) touchy, feely actions teaches only one thing:  Victimhood.

I was so prepared and so collected and confident that when I went to Public High School I cruised through.  In those day public school actually made demands of you as well, so I was doubley prepared thanks to those crusty old Sisters.  I would say that my elementary education under those circumstances taught me basically all I would ever need in life.  I became a legendary police officer and highly successful businessman as a result.

The point:  Self esteem comes from demanding mentors and teachers who do not accept anything but your best efforts.  At some point one will realize that and thus be prepared for anything.

We are raising a generation of wimps and spoilt brats I fear.  Hope I'm wrong.  Have been before.  The American spirit is strong, I think, though the extremist Left Wing neo-libs are trying to trample that down too.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
I prefer the term 'self respect', which sounds like it is something to be earned, over 'self esteem' which seems to be bestowed upon anyone who breathes.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 04:44:30 AM »
It wasn't psychological testing, but around 3rd grade they forced us to rinse our mouth out with some really nasty mouthwash.

Once a week my life was Hell. *cry*
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 06:04:14 AM »
Sorta seems as though the present notion of "giving" self-esteem comes from a lack of understanding of what's called "positive reinforcement".  That is, if you only pay attention to a kid whe he does something wrong, he'll do wrong things in order to get attention.

If you regularly say, "Good boy!" or, "Hey!  That's great!" when he does a (normal) good thing, he'll prefer to do good things in order to get attention.  Like do his homework...

Kids are easy if you just pay attention.  Too many folks only pay attention to their kids when things go all to garbage.

Art