Author Topic: "Green" Burials  (Read 4638 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Green" Burials
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:37:37 AM »
As much as I get in a lather about environazi stuff, this idea actually appeals to me (as long as there's no chanting or other hippie stuff!  Tongue  ). I've never seen the sense in satin lined, gold inlayed caskets and what have you. I'd be perfectly happy to be plopped in a hole, covered over, and allowed to decompose. I guess a flat stone reading, "Ben 1959-2159, 'He was an okay guy' " would be nice, but otherwise just drop me in the hole.

-----------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060702/ap_on_sc/apn_a_natural_approach_2

Green' burials growing in popularity

By WILLIAM KATES, Associated Press WriterSun Jul 2, 1:23 AM ET

It sits on the eastern fringe of New York's Finger Lakes region and is bounded on three sides by 8,000 acres of protected forests: the perfectly natural place to spend an eternity. The 93-acre Greensprings Natural Cemetery is the first of its kind in New York and one of just a handful in the United States, where interest in "green" burial is just taking root.

Carl Leopold, a retired Cornell University plant scientist, bought one of the first 20 plots sold.

"It's so sensible," he said. "Putting bodies in a waterproof, permanent container protected from the environment, it's ridiculous."

At Greensprings, where a plot costs $500 plus a $350 fee to dig the grave, bodies cannot be embalmed or otherwise chemically preserved. They must be buried in biodegradable caskets without linings or metal ornamentation. The cemetery suggests locally harvested woods, wicker or cloth shrouds. Concrete or steel burial vaults are not allowed. Nor are standing monuments, upright tombstones or statues.

Only flat, natural fieldstones are permitted as grave markers (they can be engraved). Shrubs or trees are preferred.

And only one person is allowed in each 15-foot-by-15-foot plot.

"This is more than just dig a hole in the woods and roll them in. We see it as a natural return to the Earth, becoming part of the circle of life," said Mary Woodsen, a lifelong conservationist and the cemetery's president.

"Not everyone will find this appealing," she said. "But there are people who want that look and feel of nature."

Natural or woodland cemeteries are common in the United Kingdom, where they make up more than 10 percent of burials. In the United States, however, green burial is a relatively new idea, but one that has caught the attention of people who favor blending land conservation with a natural approach to funerals.

Thirty-two-acre Ramsey Creek Preserve, which opened in 1998 in rural Westminster, S.C., is acknowledged as the nation's first green cemetery. Others are in Florida, Texas, California and Washington state.

Elizabeth Stuckman, 47, made arrangements to be buried at Ramsey Creek, which was started by family physician and environmentalist Billy Campbell, who was looking to simplify the increasingly involved funeral process and help conserve land. Stuckman had her brother's ashes spread there after he was killed in a car accident last fall. Her parents have plans to be buried there, too.

"There's life in the land. It's not a dead place like a conventional cemetery. It's intensely alive, and that's what you focus on," Stuckman said.

At her brother's funeral, the children were able to play in a nearby stream, while his friends picnicked and performed bluegrass music.

"I like that the land is wild and always changing with time," she said. "Whether we like it or not, death is about change. To pretend my brother is just sleeping under a mowed and manicured lawn is to deny that death is about change."

Today, there are 70 people interred at Ramsey Creek, said Campbell's wife, Kimberley, who is vice president of Memorial Ecosystems, which runs the cemetery.

"We've seen growth in the hospice movement," she said. "We've seen an upswing of home birthing. People are interested in returning to the simple ways. This is just a dust-to-dust approach to funerals."

Robert Fells, a spokesman for the Virginia-based International Cemetery and Funeral Association, said the green concept is just a repackaging of what the conventional cemetery burial already offers.

Contrary to widespread belief, embalming is not required by law so people can refuse it, Fells said. Buy a no-frills wooden coffin. Plant a bush instead of a gravestone. Those options are currently available at most cemeteries, he said.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, the average funeral in the United States costs about $6,000. Many exceed $10,000. Even cremation typically costs more than $1,000  and has its environmental downside: Cremation uses energy and releases dioxin and mercury (up to 6 grams a body) while preventing nutrients in bodies from enriching the land.

Josh Slocum, of the Funeral Consumers Alliance, a Burlington, Vt.-based federation of advocacy groups, said natural cemeteries provide "another choice for consumers, and that's always good."

"Most of what we think of today as the traditional funeral  embalming, expensive caskets, manicured cemeteries  are practices started in the 20th century when burying the dead became an industry," he said. "This is really nothing new. It's what the pilgrims and the pioneers did ... Really natural burial is as old as death itself."

The Greensprings preserve, located 75 miles southwest of Syracuse, was once mostly pasture and cropland before it was acquired from a conservation-minded seller.

"Someday, we'd like to see most of the property return to the native woodlands that used to be here," said Woodsen.

Eventually, trails will wind through meadows, woods and burial areas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Preacherman

"Green" Burials
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:57:45 AM »
Obviously inspired by gun owners . . . "Shoot, shovel, and shut up"!

Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

InfidelSerf

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 06:54:36 AM »
I've always thought alot about cremation.  
Then I could have my ashes loaded into a bunch of rounds and my friends and family could lob me downrange Cheesy
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
"Green" Burials
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:27:13 AM »
You know, this sounds like a really good idea.

20th Century burial practices can't be kept up forever, we'd eventually run out of cemetary space, and 'perpetual care' probably won't last beyond 40 years of the cemetary filling up.  A few good economic downturns and the cemetary company files bankruptcy, sells off the cemetary to be dug up and built into something useful for the living.

I've been planning on being cremated, but the only idea of this type I've heard of was a greenie one where they buried you shallow and in all 'green materials', and charged you 10x the going rate.

This, this is classical, their only concern is that everything you're buried with is biodegradable.

"Green" Burials
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 07:35:38 AM »
Cremate whats left of my ass and spread it over the clover hayfield on that back 40.

Antibubba

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »
At Greensprings, where a plot costs $500 plus a $350 fee to dig the grave, bodies cannot be embalmed or otherwise chemically preserved. They must be buried in biodegradable caskets without linings or metal ornamentation.
Congratulations, America.  You've discovered the Jewish funeral.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

DJJ

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »
Quote from: veloce851
Then I could have my ashes loaded into a bunch of rounds and my friends and family could lob me downrange Cheesy
This actually happened at the range I went to in Bakersfield. The deceased had been a hardcore, charter member.

Same with me: stuff my shell in a cardboard box, burn it, and scatter the ashes. Under no circumstances shall more than the absolute legal minimum for disposing of a dead body be done.

mfree

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 08:35:26 AM »
Makes ashes of me, use me as the buffer in some nice .50BMG rounds and lay the whole chain of me out across the landscape at Knob Creek. Lovely Smiley

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
"Green" Burials
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »
just bury me out on the lone prairie
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
"Green" Burials
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »
Actually I have left instructions to be flushed down the commode.  Not cremated.  Just flushed. I told the family they better have a big plunger.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
"Green" Burials
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »
My wife wants to cremated and then turned into a gem.  There are a few places that will do that, but i don't know what size or color gem will result.

I could do that.  But first, let the local medical college have all my parts to poke and prod.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
"Green" Burials
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:08:08 AM »
Not me.

I wanna be turned into Soylent Green, then fed to all the people who pissed me off when I was still alive.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

peteinct

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
"There's 3 things we can do with your Mum. Burn her, bury her, or dump her."

"Dump her?"

"Dump her in the Thames"

"What!"

"Oh   You liked her?"

monty python
pete

Stand_watie

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
There's a big ol' blackjack oak back on the corner of our property I want to buried under, with no more than a pine box and zero preservation.

I don't go for the 'circle of life' hippy crap either, it just seems like a huge waste to me to spend money and space trying to keep your dead body looking nice for a couple more years. If I was wanting to be preserved I'd hope someone would take me to a taxidermist and have me stuffed for display.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
"Green" Burials
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 04:00:18 PM »
I want my head severed, preserved and used to scare kids on halloween!

The rest of it should be fed to vultures.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
Hey, worms gotta eat too.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

stevelyn

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »
I would prefer to be loaded into a wooden river boat with all my guns and gear, pushed off into the Yukon and torched in Viking fashion. I don't think the goobermint would approve, so it's "burn and scatter" for me.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Green" Burials
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »
Quote from: stevelyn
I would prefer to be loaded into a wooden river boat with all my guns and gear, pushed off into the Yukon and torched in Viking fashion. I don't think the goobermint would approve, so it's "burn and scatter" for me.
Much as I like that idea, there's no way I'm letting good "guns and gear" get burned up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »
We don't have to use the real thing-we could put in replicas, symbolic representations to help you negotiate the next world.  Your real guns will be useless to you there.

Whereas, here, we, your survivors, can get a great deal from them.  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Strings

"Green" Burials
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 10:40:20 AM »
funny... this is allowed in New York, whereas a group of pagans here in WI weren't allowed to set up a cemetary for ash urns (as it was a biohazard)...

Personally, I like how mom's body ended up. Dad had her cremated, and brought her to Thailand. Her urn (something dad had made out of high-grade stainless) now rests in the middle of a nest of spitting cobras. Anyone that knew mom would understand...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
"Green" Burials
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 11:39:58 AM »
OK Hunter, you're edgy; and I dig that.

Hard to believe now that you're the "normal" one of your family. :evil:

For myself, I have asked to be hollowed out like a canoe, everything useable donated to science.  A Marine funeral and everything else disposed of as cheaply as possible.  

Except that one part, according to the ladies that sucker needs to be preserved for posterity.  Maybe in the Smithsonian. Wink
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

"Green" Burials
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 05:10:02 PM »
Much as I like that idea, there's no way I'm letting good "guns and gear" get burned up.
Yeah, you only think we're gonna carry out the whole of your wishes....

"Green" Burials
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 07:18:55 PM »
The 93-acre Greensprings Natural Cemetery is the first of its kind in New York
Why do I doubt *very* much that this is the first cemetary in New York to practice a system of burial that is virtually identical to the one that is traditional to the Jewish faith?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
"Green" Burials
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 05:31:14 AM »
When Nate died on "Six Feet Under" and was buried in a green cemetery I started thinking that I would like that too. I had wanted to be cremated and just dumped at one my favorite haunts, but the whole green burial is interesting to me. I know my body is a shell but I don't want to be any more expensive than I have to be after death. Yes embalming funerals cost a lot of money to put on, but how much is the cost in the long run? Chemicals leaching into the soil from the body, chemicals to keep the grass green in the cemetery, chemicals from the 100 year guaranteed casket?

After the autopsy, just pack me in ice, let my friends and family view me at my wake, wrap me in muslin or shove me in a pine box and bury me in the ground.

I'm a big fan of bonfires, maybe a funeral pyre of hedge for a sendoff. Make sure to put enough green hedge in it to get it hot enough to burn my bones and let the critters sort out what is left.

Like I am really going to do anything in my life that is note worthy enough for history to warrant a grave stone?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
"Green" Burials
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
Honestly, I'm not going to care where my body goes when I am dead.  thats for someone else to figure out.  I do know that any good parts are going to people that need them, though.

while preventing nutrients in bodies from enriching the land.
As noble as that sounds, I really doubt anyone is going to be growing crops here again.  And if they do, I can't imagine that there is a big market for food grown in soil enriched with human remains.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'