Author Topic: Deep Survival  (Read 4234 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Deep Survival
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »
OK, I guess we had a thread on this book when it first came out, but I just got done reading it.
 Not really a book on how to survive,more of a profile of the psychology of survivors.
Yet it did have some great ideas, like actually going to a survival school and also reading accident reports.
Anyone know where to get accident reports though? Who else read the book/liked it/hated it-why?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Deep Survival
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
Also, get a big knife with a saw on the back, and a hollow handle and a compass on the end.  :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »
Oh, I have that knife- I substituted the fishing line with detcord. :cool:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:10:33 AM »
Also, get a big knife with a saw on the back, and a hollow handle and a compass on the end.  :cool:

In actual fact, the Jungle King knives are like this and they're fairly good.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
In actual fact, the Jungle King knives are like this and they're fairly good.

Mine came from an ad in the back of "Boy's Life" magazine and cost $4.88
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »
The Ultimate Knife is the pinnacle of Gerber’s Bear Grylls Survival Series:

½ Serrated High Carbon Stainless Steel Drop Point Blade – Ideal for edge retention and cutting rope

Ergonomic Textured Rubber Grip – Maximizes comfort and reduces slippage

Stainless Steel Pommel – At base of handle for hammering

Emergency Whistle – Integrated into lanyard cord

Sheath Features:

Fire Starter – Ferrocerium rod locks into sheath, striker notch incorporated into back of knife blade

Nylon Sheath – Lightweight, military-grade, mildew resistant

Land to air rescue instructions

Diamond Sharpener – Integrated into sheath for on-the-go sharpening

Priorities of Survival – Pocket guide contains Bear’s survival essentials

http://bear.gerbergear.com/Knives/ultimate-knife/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:23:01 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
Ron, was that endorsement sarcastic? I think that knife/system has a lot of things going for it, though I don't find it ideal.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
Ron, was that endorsement sarcastic? I think that knife/system has a lot of things going for it, though I don't find it ideal.

Sarcasm? not at all, though I'm not a fan of Bear at all either. Les is more.

It is actually a pretty practical piece of kit IMHO and if I was a knife guy I would be even more intrigued than I am already, maybe.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
You may laugh at the Jungle King knives but they're really not all that bad.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
You may laugh at the Jungle King knives but they're really not all that bad.

Can you post some more info? Why do you like them? Are those made by Aitor? What blade steel? And so on...

I have no problem with a well-made hollow-handle knife, like a Chris Reeve. Got no problem with saw-back blades, either. Usually prefer my knife to just be a knife, though. Just my taste.

It is actually a pretty practical piece of kit IMHO

Yeah, it looks OK. I'm a bit more of a purist, but it doesn't look half bad.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Can you post some more info? Why do you like them? Are those made by Aitor? What blade steel? And so on...

I have no problem with a well-made hollow-handle knife, like a Chris Reeve. Got no problem with saw-back blades, either. Usually prefer my knife to just be a knife, though. Just my taste.

I  have not yet purchased an Aitor knife (it is ony my list of things to do). I have read several reviews of them, which are all in agreement that they are fairly good - not amazing kit of awesome +3, but not $5 junk either.

From where I sit, it seems a lot of the time, serrations, hollow-handles, hooks, and other such things are simplistic marketing ploys used by unscrupulous marketing types to sell knives to mall ninjas, which gives them a very bad name. However, they're not necessarily bad things in and of themselves.

It also seems to me that in the sort of situation where it's better to have a basic tool than no tool at all, a hollow-handle knife is great. It allows you to have a variety of improvised tools on your person.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:23 PM »
You could do a lot worse than that Gerber knife.  I'd round off the end of the handle, maybe shorten the blade a smidgen, but otherwise it looks like a darned fine knife.  It has some really smart features, like the orange accents (have you ever dropped a small brown/green/black tool in the woods?) and big finger guards.

I've never seen a hollow handle "survival" knife that was worth a darn.  Someone, somewhere, might make a decent one.  But the ordinary ones you see at stores and gun shows all suck eggs.  Run away from them.

Anyone know where to get accident reports though? Who else read the book/liked it/hated it-why?
Most of the national parks will publish their search and rescue reports online.  Here's the listing for Mt Rainier, for example:
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/search-and-rescue-reports.htm

You have to go to each park's site to find their reports.  There's an org out there that aggregates all of the S&R reports from each of the major parks into a handy digest format, but I can't for the life of me remember who they are.  Sorry.   =|

As for Deep Survival, I read it and thought it was pretty valuable stuff.  Most survival books or guides focus on fieldcraft and ignore mindset and mentality, so a book like Deep Survival is great to fill in the mental aspects.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:10:14 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »
Just as a disclaimer, I'm an avid outdoorsman but never have really been into knives that much.

I have a Sven Saw for cutting wood and a Leatherman Blast for multitool needs, the knife gets used to cut extra sharp cheddar cheese mostly :)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
I've never seen a hollow handle "survival" knife that was worth a darn.  Someone, somewhere, might make a decent one.  But the ordinary ones you see at stores and gun shows all suck eggs.  

The only ones I have are my Bushmen, both sizes. Probably not the best steel in the world, but a nifty design, and better than the plastic-handled dreck.

Chris Reeve Knives have a very good reputation, and at those prices, they darn well better be good. The fixed-blade knives are of one-piece construction, except for the screw-on butt-cap. Never tried one, but would like to.

The Buck-Masters are not bad, from everything I've heard.

The Robert Parrish custom knives are supposed to be the real deal. Same goes for the Jimmy Lyle knives that Rambo used. I would imagine the Gil Hibben reproductions are somewhat lower quality, and the United Cutlery knock-offs are probably at or below Jungle King quality.

I guess I may as well admit I was a knife dork for years, until I made enough money to buy guns. Given my economic circumstances, I'm back into knives again.  ;/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:13:32 PM by Fistful »

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
Chris Reeve Knives
I've never heard of em, thanks.

Deep Survival recommends getting lots of sleep in survival situations, seems like a good idea. G'dnight! :lol:

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
I read Deep Survival a couple of years ago.  It struck me as a good book, especially the way it addressed the need to make the mental shift into survival mode and the need to never give up.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
 It has some really smart features, like the orange accents (have you ever dropped a small brown/green/black tool in the woods?) and big finger guards.

I have always wondered what the rationale was behind camo-handled hunting and camping tools. It occurred to me that it might be the manufacturer's way of ensuring a market by making them easy to lose. :)
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
Surpsingly practical knife endorsed by the king of impractical survival. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”