Author Topic: Thoritah!  (Read 2076 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Thoritah!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
From a different perspective, though, if the various arms and organs of the State are screwing with one another, it could mean less time and opportunity to screw with us...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
From a different perspective, though, if the various arms and organs of the State are screwing with one another, it could mean less time and opportunity to screw with us...

That is very true.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »
Reminds me of a story I read in the newspaper around 20+ years ago where a traffic cop stopped and ticketed (for speeding) a volunteer fire fighter who was on his way to the station, responding to a call - told the firefighter the lights on his car "didn't matter" since he wasn't in an emergency vehicle. Since the VFD couldn't respond until they had a full crew, their arrival at the house fire was delayed, with the result that the home was a total loss.

In one of the best cases of poetic justice I've ever heard, the house on fire just happened to be the traffic cop's.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »
This is apparently a standard safety procedure fire crews are taught.

More than apparently - it was one of the first things we were taught when our local wildland VFD began training for responses to car fires (typically the car would be sitting in the road).  Given a standard pumper, we would park at a diagonal with the side controls toward the fire / away from traffic.  Unfortunately all but one of our (wildland) trucks has the controls at the rear  :facepalm:  We should probably turn one of the 6x6's around with the front facing traffic.

Our local sheriff dept is a bunch of morons.  The county sheriff tried to run us off of a structure protection assignment a couple years ago.  He needs to be put into a strait jacket for his own protection when there is an emergency  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Reminds me of a story I read in the newspaper around 20+ years ago where a traffic cop stopped and ticketed (for speeding) a volunteer fire fighter who was on his way to the station, responding to a call - told the firefighter the lights on his car "didn't matter" since he wasn't in an emergency vehicle. Since the VFD couldn't respond until they had a full crew, their arrival at the house fire was delayed, with the result that the home was a total loss.

In one of the best cases of poetic justice I've ever heard, the house on fire just happened to be the traffic cop's.  =D

Might be a net rumor. But I do know a volunteer EMS that got ticketed for something like 8 mph over in an ambulance.

Got solved real quick. EMS chief called police chief, said "Next time one of your boys get shot, don't bother call us", hung up without waiting for a reply. Went for coffee. Phone is ringing entire coffee break. Came back to desk, answered phone. "Oh, just a misunderstanding? Glad to hear that. My EMT should just rip that ticket up? Okey doke."

It sorta helped that said chief was a passenger twice in the past. Would not have wanted to be in the original cop's shoes. It's one thing to go full retard on Joe Average. That likely will just get you a paid vacation and maybe a less than stellar review at the end of the year. Going full retard on the people that MAY be in a position to save your life is perhaps not the wisest idea. Care to guess what his fellow cops will be saying to him on a regular basis? Especially any of them cut out of a vehicle, or had their house on fire?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
The stated policy around here is that we can go up to 10mph over when responding in either private or emergency vehicles, if conditions permit.

The speed limit on our road is 35mph.  There are short straight stretches where one might get up to 50-60mph, but many corners where 35mph is way too fast under any conditions.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
CHP needs to implement either an entry IQ test or periodic steroid tests.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
More than apparently - it was one of the first things we were taught when our local wildland VFD began training for responses to car fires (typically the car would be sitting in the road).  Given a standard pumper, we would park at a diagonal with the side controls toward the fire / away from traffic. 

Just dealing with non-emergency stuff at the mall, I would park my vehicle diagonally, or in some other way to keep it between me and the other cars. Didn't take any training to figure that out. And here's a copper, who should know that's SOP.  :facepalm:

I hope there is more to this story. I hope no cop is that brainless.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:35 AM »
Cop last week was all pissy, asked me why I took so long to stop. I slowed down to under the speed limit, pointed at the one mile exit sign, exited and pulled into a hotel parking lot. Pretty obvious to all except boy wonder that I was driving to a slightly safer place than the side of a dark interstate full of wide awake 2am truckers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
A friend of mine got "pulled over" on a narrow 2 lane state highway about a year ago. He slowed down put on his 4 way flashers and pulled off on the 1st side road he came too. The county mounty was none too pleased that he didn't stop immediately. The attempting to elude charge got thrown out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
Bob was driving home over the Golden Gate Bridge after spending a great day out on the ocean fishing. His catch, cleaned and filleted, was wrapped in newspaper on the passenger side floor. He was late getting home and was speeding. Wouldn't you know it, a cop jumped out, radar gun in hand, motioned him to the side of the bridge. Bob pulled over like a good citizen.

The cop walked up to the window and said, "You know how fast you were going, BOY?"

Bob thought for a second and said, "Uhh, 35?"

"SIXTY-SEVEN mph, son! 67 mph in a 55 zone!" said the cop.

"But if you already knew, officer" replied Bob, "Why did you ask me?"

Fuming over Bob's answer, the officer growled, in his normal sarcastic fashion, "That's speeding, and you're getting a ticket and a fine!" The cop took a good close look at Bob, in his stained fishing attire and said, "You don't even look like you have a job! Why, I've never seen anyone so scruffy in my entire life!"

Bob answered, "I've got a job! I have a good, well-paying job!"

The cop leaned in the window, smelling Bob's fish catch, said, "What kind of a job would a bum like you have?"

"I'm a rectum stretcher!" replied Bob.

"What you say, BOY?" asked the patrolman.

"I'm a rectum stretcher!"

The cop, scratching his head, asked, "What does a rectum stretcher do?"

Bob explained, "People call me up and say they need to be stretched, so I go over to their house. I start with a couple of fingers, then a couple more and then one whole hand, then two. Then I slowly pull them farther and farther apart until it's a full six feet across."

The cop, absorbed with these bizarre images in his mind, asked, "What the heck do you do with a six foot *expletive deleted*?" Bob nonchalantly answered, "You give it a radar gun and stick it at the end of a bridge!"
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
A friend of mine got "pulled over" on a narrow 2 lane state highway about a year ago. He slowed down put on his 4 way flashers and pulled off on the 1st side road he came too. The county mounty was none too pleased that he didn't stop immediately. The attempting to elude charge got thrown out.

I got into a minor fender-bender a few years ago.  The other driver accused me of leaving the scene because I pulled off the road and into the parking lot of the police station thirty feet away.  The cop who came out (on his behest) was not amused.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
Cop last week was all pissy, asked me why I took so long to stop. I slowed down to under the speed limit, pointed at the one mile exit sign, exited and pulled into a hotel parking lot. Pretty obvious to all except boy wonder that I was driving to a slightly safer place than the side of a dark interstate full of wide awake 2am truckers.

In my early 20's I was a bit of a ticket magnet.  I got lit up by a popo and pulled over on the side of the highway, but he didn't like where I pulled over.  Called it a "gore" area.  I'd never heard that term before and asked him to repeat it several times because it just struck me as odd that someone would use that word to describe a spot in the road.  Was real pissy that I pulled over there.

The next time I got pulled over, I put my hazard lights on and slowed down to 5 under the limit, pointed at the next exit sign and pulled into a gas station.  He asked why I didn't pull over immediately, and told him I was just pulling over somewhere safe.  He just shrugged and nodded.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
It's the term for the area between lanes that are about to merge, or just separated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_(road)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
At least you didn't pull to the left, onto the grassy median of a busy interstate, like one idiot I witnessed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?