Author Topic: This story troubles me greatly  (Read 918 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
This story troubles me greatly
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/doctors-borders-refused-american-isis-hostage-kayla-mueller/story?id=41601887

The prestigious group Doctors Without Borders apparently left an American woman to rot and be executed by ISIS, while they were busy negotiating ransom for their own employees. I found some of the statements by DWB spokesmen to be disgustingly self-serving and amoral.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: This story troubles me greatly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/doctors-borders-refused-american-isis-hostage-kayla-mueller/story?id=41601887

The prestigious group Doctors Without Borders apparently left an American woman to rot and be executed by ISIS, while they were busy negotiating ransom for their own employees. I found some of the statements by DWB spokesmen to be disgustingly self-serving and amoral.

It doesn't trouble me. Obviously Doctors Without Borders are quite insistent that their responsibility stops at the border of their own employees...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
They didn't just refuse to help negotiate, they withheld information that would have helped the woman's parents contact the kidnappers.  All because they feared it would harm getting their own people back.  That is pretty bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
They didn't just refuse to help negotiate, they withheld information that would have helped the woman's parents contact the kidnappers.  All because they feared it would harm getting their own people back.  That is pretty bad.

<Takes tongue out of cheek> The group is despicable. Failing to negotiate for her is one thing (which is also wrong, given why she was there, but is more defensible at least) but the withholding of information was absolutely unconscionable.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
<Takes tongue out of cheek> The group is despicable. Failing to negotiate for her is one thing (which is also wrong, given why she was there, but is more defensible at least) but the withholding of information was absolutely unconscionable.

Agreed.

And their self-serving press release once they knew the lid was going to be blown off IMHO was just rubbing salt in the wounds of the parents. Nothing they (DWB) said in any way made them appear to be even a little less amoral and culpable. All they did was dig the hole deeper and start pulling dirt in on top of themselves.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »
I wonder if they abandoned her Because she was American?

It is not as if she had no connection with them- her boyfriend was hired by them and she was acting as his helper.

And withholding the contact info-  there are no words. If the parents should devote the rest of their lives to hunting and dealing with those who withheld that info, it would be perfectly understandable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
I wonder if they abandoned her Because she was American?

It is not as if she had no connection with them- her boyfriend was hired by them and she was acting as his helper.

And withholding the contact info-  there are no words. If the parents should devote the rest of their lives to hunting and dealing with those who withheld that info, it would be perfectly understandable.

Even if they had no connection, as the FBI agent said, what the hell would it have hurt for them to bundle her in if it would save her life? Human decency please. "Do no harm" indeed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."