Author Topic: This week in moronic feminism  (Read 2032 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
This week in moronic feminism
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/19278/my-body-my-choice-feminist-mom-edits-3yo-daughters-amanda-prestigiacomo

"The constant inundation with princess stuff drives me crazy," Lindemann told POPSUGAR MOMS. "Because it's basically teaching these little girls that their worth lies in looking nice and hooking up with the right guy. Still. In 2016."

“My daughter wanted to read it over and over, so to prevent my eyes from rolling permanently into the back of my head, I decided to make a few edits,” she whined.

Whatever Lindemann’s contention is with Disney princesses, the pages of the book she publicly edited did not promote the idea to “little girls that their worth lies in looking nice and hooking up with the right guy.” Not even close, actually.

I shall choose to believe this is a hoax, perpetrated for clicks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: This week in moronic feminism
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/19278/my-body-my-choice-feminist-mom-edits-3yo-daughters-amanda-prestigiacomo

I feel sorry for the little girl. What struck me immediately is that there seemed to be no mention of a father/husband creature. So I went looking for information about Ms. Lindemann.

https://socanthro.cas2.lehigh.edu/content/danielle-lindemann

She is also the author of Dominatrix: Gender, Eroticism, and Control in the Dungeon (Chicago 2012).  Based on in-depth interviews with women who work as professional dominatrices in New York City and San Francisco, the book focuses on the ways in which this unexpected social space can shed light on the dynamics of gender, work, and power more generally.

She is currently working on her second book: an interview project about spouses who live apart for work-related reasons.

That poor little girl.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
The little girl is probably used to that sort of crap and, based on the reading level of the book, the edits are probably way over her head anyway.

I think modern parenting has flipped backwards. Instead of dictating the things they need to dictate (like rules, good manners and responsibility) the modern parent seems to be spending a lot of time dictating the stuff you shouldn't dictate (what the kids should and should not enjoy or dislike)
They let there brats run buck ass wild in public but god forbid the kid picks up a toy that's not whatever flavor of PC the parent believes in.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
I think modern parenting has flipped backwards. Instead of dictating the things they need to dictate (like rules, good manners and responsibility) the modern parent seems to be spending a lot of time dictating the stuff you shouldn't dictate (what the kids should and should not enjoy or dislike)
They let there brats run buck ass wild in public but god forbid the kid picks up a toy that's not whatever flavor of PC the parent believes in.

Interesting that you should say that. Just the other day, I heard someone saying that today's parents are letting their kids run wild in their younger years, and then trying to suddenly clamp down on them when they reach their teenage years - the time when they should be learning to make their own decisions.

I don't know if that's true. I've never heard that before.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
. . . I heard someone saying that today's parents are letting their kids run wild in their younger years, and then trying to suddenly clamp down on them when they reach their teenage years - the time when they should be learning to make their own decisions.
I don't know - it seems there's a lot more "structured" time imposed on young kids these days than there was when I was a youngster. "THIS is what you will play, and THIS is how you will do so."

On the other hand, every time I go to a regular restaurant, 99% of the time families with young children let their kids misbehave without batting an eye - yelling, climbing all over the seats, etc.

When I was a kid   :old:   my folks taught me basic table manners AT HOME, and simply didn't tolerate anything less when we went out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
I don't know - it seems there's a lot more "structured" time imposed on young kids these days than there was when I was a youngster. "THIS is what you will play, and THIS is how you will do so."

On the other hand, every time I go to a regular restaurant, 99% of the time families with young children let their kids misbehave without batting an eye - yelling, climbing all over the seats, etc.

When I was a kid   :old:   my folks taught me basic table manners AT HOME, and simply didn't tolerate anything less when we went out.

When I used the term "run wild," I was thinking more of the misbehavior, not the activity the kid was supposed to be doing. Lots of people* send their kids in on the church bus, for "structured" time at my church. That doesn't mean the kids behave themselves when they're there.

*Most of the parents don't attend church themselves.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
Lots of people* send their kids in on the church bus, for "structured" time free daycare at my church.

FTFY. Something I've observed in my own church and friends' churches (Catholic, various Protestant, etc.) is parents who don't practice the faith themselves, who you couldn't convict in court of being a Christian, essentially, that make their children go to church and participate. Then later, when the child gets older and discards religion entirely, the parents are surprised/saddened.

If you think it important your children belong to, believe in, and practice your faith, you have to show that you do too or they'll learn the louder lesson of "religion/faith/beliefs aren't actually important, just something you have to do as a child" from your example.

More on-topic, I'm doubtful the mother in the OP article actually made those edits for her daughters benefit. She did it specifically to post it online and get the publicity she's getting.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
I don't have any problem with any of the neighborhood brats.  I just skip bird shot of the crown of the road and it stings their nasty little legs.  None of 'em come any closer to my propity than 3 houses away. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:58:43 PM »
FTFY. Something I've observed in my own church and friends' churches (Catholic, various Protestant, etc.) is parents who don't practice the faith themselves, who you couldn't convict in court of being a Christian, essentially, that make their children go to church and participate. Then later, when the child gets older and discards religion entirely, the parents are surprised/saddened.

If you think it important your children belong to, believe in, and practice your faith, you have to show that you do too or they'll learn the louder lesson of "religion/faith/beliefs aren't actually important, just something you have to do as a child" from your example.

I don't think most of them are claiming to follow any particular faith, and I'm certain at least some of them just want a few hours of free, off-site child care.

More on-topic, I'm doubtful the mother in the OP article actually made those edits for her daughters benefit. She did it specifically to post it online and get the publicity she's getting.

Kinda like this lady.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18590/monster-bigoted-feminist-writer-shames-her-amanda-prestigiacomo

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »

I actually thought it was funny.

I did (as a parent) and do (as a grandparent) read stories "wrong" to the kiddies.  They can tell, and it amuses them.  Part of imparting my droll sense of humor to them.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
"But when I look around at the men I know, I’m not sure a male partner would fill that hole. Where are these men who are enlightened but not arrogant? Who are feminists without self-congratulation? If my sons need role models, they may have to become their own. ... If the feminist men — the men who proudly declare their progressive politics and their fight for quality — aren’t safe, then what man is? No man, I fear," she asserts.

What was that about arrogance? Isn't "fighting" to impose a feminist perspective on people who just want to be left alone a classic example of arrogance?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
I don't think most of them are claiming to follow any particular faith, and I'm certain at least some of them just want a few hours of free, off-site child care.

Kinda like this lady.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18590/monster-bigoted-feminist-writer-shames-her-amanda-prestigiacomo

I'm sure her youngest son's suicidal tendencies have absolutely nothing to do with the years of emotional abuse heaped on him for simply being born male. Disgusting excuse for an almost human being.