Author Topic: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq  (Read 16723 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
    Fact check: The @USArmy is NOT contacting anyone regarding the draft.

Text messages currently circulating are false and are not official Army communications.

Read more: https://t.co/csGpTQNfQc

— U.S. Army Recruiting (@usarec) January 7, 2020
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
I would not draw that conclusion.  They fired a limited number of projectiles at a large target.  The accuracy wasn't as bad as the pundits have made it seem.

Imagine if you fired a 00 buck round at a 2'x2' piece of plywood from 50 yds.  You could hit the target with 10 f 12 pellets and not do catastrophic damage to the plywood.
I heard someone speculating they may have been trying to bait Trump into more escalation.  Not sure I know enough about it to say that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:23 AM »
I heard someone speculating they may have been trying to bait Trump into more escalation.  Not sure I know enough about it to say that.

My read is this was a face-saving measure. They are actually afraid of what Trump might do if they succeed in killing more Americans, so they fired off a bunch of missiles, with the intent of avoiding killing Americans.

It's possible that the preparations that the military has made over the past few weeks were responsible for the lack of casualties, as well, but this really looks like bluster to me.

It appears that is Trump's take as well, given he isn't responding with "fire and fury" like he did to their threats recently.

Notice, also, that the Iranians weren't coming out with "AND YOU'LL GET MORE OF THAT IF YOU MESS WITH US!", but are (publicly, at least) acting like this was enough of a payback. For taking out their top general.

Again, makes me think it's about saving face, while being seriously frightened of angering and further provoking the U.S.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
Slight tangent, but in reading, it's my understanding that there were no anti-missile defenses at the targets because they are in short supply and apparently not something the US thought was a high priority for the area.

I'm wondering if Iran has intel on which bases have (and have not) missile defenses and chose accordingly, or if they just did "eenie meenie minie moe".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
Slight tangent, but in reading, it's my understanding that there were no anti-missile defenses at the targets because they are in short supply and apparently not something the US thought was a high priority for the area.

I'm wondering if Iran has intel on which bases have (and have not) missile defenses and chose accordingly, or if they just did "eenie meenie minie moe".

They targeted the bases in Iraq that we launch drones from.  Specifically (probably) the drone that launched the strike on Soleimani.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
My read is this was a face-saving measure. They are actually afraid of what Trump might do if they succeed in killing more Americans, so they fired off a bunch of missiles, with the intent of avoiding killing Americans.

It's possible that the preparations that the military has made over the past few weeks were responsible for the lack of casualties, as well, but this really looks like bluster to me.

There's no indication that this was planned to limit casualties.  They were specifically going for the drones we have in Iraq.

Also, I really hate cable news.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »

:laugh:

I've been trying to limit what I come away with to whatever official statements they get from the gov, and the retired Generals they always pull out of the woodwork when this stuff happens. I think a lot of the latter pull stuff out of their ass though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
There's no indication that this was planned to limit casualties.  They were specifically going for the drones we have in Iraq.

The other option, then, is that they are terribly inept and are happy just to have it on the record that they tried.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
Adding to the fun:  apparently a 737 crashed in Iran shortly after takeoff, with 180 aboard:

https://twitter.com/davidinglestv/status/1214750797998649344?s=21

Could just be a coincidence, of course ...

Could be more to this
Iran is refusing to hand over the black box of the doomed Ukrainian airliner to Boeing amid an investigation into what caused the crash that killed all 176 people aboard the flight out of Tehran early Wednesday, according to a report.

Ali Abedzadeh, the head of Tehran’s civil aviation organization, told Mehr news agency in Tehran that Iran has not made a decision on which country or international authority it would send the black box to for its data to be analyzed, Reuters reported. rt
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-refuses-give-black-box-ukrainian-plane-boeing-tehran-crash
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:48 AM »
The other option, then, is that they are terribly inept and are happy just to have it on the record that they tried.

I quote myself:

Quote from: dogmush
I would not draw that conclusion.  They fired a limited number of projectiles at a large target.  The accuracy wasn't as bad as the pundits have made it seem.

Imagine if you fired a 00 buck round at a 2'x2' piece of plywood from 50 yds.  You could hit the target with 10 f 12 pellets and not do catastrophic damage to the plywood.

I think they were hoping for more.  I don't think the attack was inept by any means.  People get to used to Tomahawks just working, missiles are actually kinda tricky.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
I quote myself:

I think they were hoping for more.  I don't think the attack was inept by any means.  People get to used to Tomahawks just working, missiles are actually kinda tricky.

That's fine to hold that opinion, but as far as I can tell, the attack failed. The Iranians claim they killed 30 Americans (they didn't) and are happy (publicly, at least) to say they achieved their goal.

IF they were interested in retribution, they'd try another attack, if, as you suggest, it was just a case of not very good missiles.

It's not the fact that they didn't cause a lot of casualties. It's the fact that they are making noises that this was enough satisfaction for them that makes me think it was about the show of force, not actual results. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »
Oh, it was a show of force. They are hoping that we take the out and don't hit back.

Where you are incorrect is the opinion that it was inept, failed, or was specifically trying to limit casualties..

They weren't as many have said, avoiding casualties.  It's just that where their targets were parked doesn't tend to have a bunch of folks hanging out in the middle of the night.

Their missiles weren't 100%, but they weren't the crappy Katyushas that the militias use either.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2020, 11:50:06 AM »
I, for one, would be thrilled if both sides would call it good and not continue military escalation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »
It seems as if the CinC is going to let it lie here for now.  Sanctions and a new, crappier for Iran, nuke deal.  (I suspect no cash will be involved in this one).  He also kinda laid down the gauntlet on our NATO, China and Russia to step up and help us with keeping Iran non nukey.  No word of leaving Iraq at all.

The big question over the next couple days will, I think, be if Iran can control the terror groups it has backed, and get them to back off.  A bunch of them are screaming for blood, and I'm not sure we'll be satisfied with proxies now.  Iran brings the dogs it made to heel, or they might end up owning their actions.

Still, it doesn't look like we're launching tonight, and that's always good.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »
Satellite Photos Reveal Extent Of Damage From Iranian Strike On Air Base In Iraq
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/08/794517031/satellite-photos-reveal-extent-of-damage-at-al-assad-air-base
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »
Satellite Photos Reveal Extent Of Damage From Iranian Strike On Air Base In Iraq
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/08/794517031/satellite-photos-reveal-extent-of-damage-at-al-assad-air-base

"at least five" buildings, it says.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »
For me, the most amazing aspect of all of this is the effect the attack is having on crude oil prices.

Last night when the first reports of the attack came out, crude futures soared, gaining as much as 5%, with WTI pushing over $68 a barrel and Brent pushing over $70 a barrel.

Yet, as the news came out about the limited nature of the strike, futures began to slip.

Then, as it looked like there wasn't going to be an immediate US military response, prices began to fall steadily. Now that Trump has said that there's no indication of furthering activity by the Iranians, crude has plummeted, losing as of a few minutes ago 4.6%, or $2.89 a barrel for WTI. WTI is now trading below $60 a barrel for the first time in awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »

The big question over the next couple days will, I think, be if Iran can control the terror groups it has backed, and get them to back off.  A bunch of them are screaming for blood, and I'm not sure we'll be satisfied with proxies now.  Iran brings the dogs it made to heel, or they might end up owning their actions.

Yeah, it sounds like the Trump admin plans to lay blame for any attacks by any fringe groups right at Iran's feet.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
For me, the most amazing aspect of all of this is the effect the attack is having on crude oil prices.

Last night when the first reports of the attack came out, crude futures soared, gaining as much as 5%, with WTI pushing over $68 a barrel and Brent pushing over $70 a barrel.

Yet, as the news came out about the limited nature of the strike, futures began to slip.

Then, as it looked like there wasn't going to be an immediate US military response, prices began to fall steadily. Now that Trump has said that there's no indication of furthering activity by the Iranians, crude has plummeted, losing as of a few minutes ago 4.6%, or $2.89 a barrel for WTI. WTI is now trading below $60 a barrel for the first time in awhile.

I can't help but think part of the "meh" reaction is due to US oil production and us needing ME oil less and less.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
I can't help but think part of the "meh" reaction is due to US oil production and us needing ME oil less and less.

This also doesn't involve territory used to transport oil.  Syria/Turkey and northern Iraq have oil pipeline networks that transport crude to Europe.  Damaging the transport infrastructure drives prices up everywhere since the demand in Europe gets met by diverting supply from North America via tanker ship.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
"I can't help but think part of the "meh" reaction is due to US oil production and us needing ME oil less and less."

You'd be on to something... IF the absolute opposite hadn't happened when drones hit the Saudi oil shipping depot some months ago and prices spiked, HARD. And stayed spiked.

"This also doesn't involve territory used to transport oil."

That's not the point. The fear involves a broader conflict that escalates into the Straits of Hormuz. Iran has repeatedly broadcast its intentions to, if a larger conflict breaks out, do its level best to shut the Straits of Hormuz. And given Iran's known stockpile of highly capable ship killing missiles, which are both land based and emplaced on fast patrol boats, they likely could do it for a time until US and other naval assets could neutralize that threat.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/08/oil-prices-to-jump-above-100-if-iran-blocks-the-strait-of-hormuz-analysts.html?&qsearchterm=hormuz

Remember, just because the US is producing a lot more oil doesn't mean that our prices would remain low while the rest of the world's prices soar. Oil is an internationally priced and traded commodity, meaning pricing activities are felt world wide, even though production is regional.

21% of the world's current crude supply travels through the Straits. The pipelines into Europe are realistically at capacity, and if I'm not mistaken, much of the capacity of those pipelines is taken up in transporting distillates, not crude.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
And Oh Goodie! The Dems are currently holding a press conference on the situation in the middle east.

Wanna bet that it's just X minutes of ORANGE MAN BAD! ORANGE MAN DERANGED! ORANGE MAN WANTS WAR!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
It's interesting to note that the Iraqi government seemed to have no issue with Iran implementing missile strikes on their sovereign soil . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
And Oh Goodie! The Dems are currently holding a press conference on the situation in the middle east.

Wanna bet that it's just X minutes of ORANGE MAN BAD! ORANGE MAN DERANGED! ORANGE MAN WANTS WAR!

Have they had a press conference since 2016 that wasn't Orange Man Bad?
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2020, 01:27:21 AM »

I caught the CinC's speech, but missed that press conference.  Did they say anything useful and/or interesting?