Author Topic: Owner goes to court to save attack cat  (Read 1923 times)

Stranger

Owner goes to court to save attack cat
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:13:03 AM »
FAIRFIELD, Connecticut (AP) -- Janet Kettman says she and her neighbors on Sunset Circle are always looking over their shoulders in fear the stalker will strike again.

"He attacks from the back," Kettman said Monday. "You never see it coming. He has six toes on every foot, which constitutes a very formidable weapon."

Kettman said she was attacked twice by Lewis the cat, whose owner was due back in court Tuesday on a charge of second-degree reckless endangerment.

Ruth Cisero, the cat's owner, recently withdrew her bid for special probation and opted for trial because she would have had to allow Lewis to be euthanized.

Eugene Riccio, attorney for Cisero and Lewis, said "We're trying to negotiate a fair resolution of the case which will include Lewis' life being spared from the executioner."

On Tuesday, Cisero was in Bridgeport Superior Court on a charge of second-degree reckless endangerment. A hearing was set for June 20 to determine whether she could get special probation and have her cat's life spared.

A few animal-rights protesters showed up Tuesday wearing T-shirts in support of Cisero and Lewis.

"They want to kill a cat for a scratch," said Marisa Sampieri of Fairfield, one of the cat's supporters. "These people have to get a life."

Neighbors say they have been terrorized by Lewis, saying the cat's long claws and stealth have allowed the cat to attack at least a half-dozen people and ambush the Avon lady as she was getting out of her car.

"I fear for the people on Sunset Circle," Kettman said. "Whenever you go out, you look in back of you to see if there is anything stalking you."

Kettman says she was a champion racquetball player, but at 76, the retired nurse is no match for Lewis. In the second attack last December, Kettman said Lewis bit her three times and left about eight deep scratches.

"He will not retreat," Kettman said. "His mouth is open and his tail is swishing."

"Also, he gives out mixed signals," Kettman continued. "He would sidle against you and purr. You bend down to pet him and he'd attack you."

Lewis was put on the antidepressant Prozac, but his owner was worried he became too sleepy, Kettman said.

There have been unconfirmed sightings lately of Lewis at 5 a.m., Kettman said.

Riccio confirmed that Lewis was on Prozac at one point. He said Cisero has kept her cat indoors, and he suggested Lewis' rap sheet is not as long as his neighbors say.

"I think the characterization of Lewis' prior conduct has been somewhat exaggerated," Riccio said.

Lewis has other supporters, who have sold more than 500 "Save Lewis" T-shirts to raise money for his defense fund.

The special probation offer with conditions was made at the insistence of one woman that Lewis attacked on February 20. In a letter to prosecutors, she said she would only agree to probation for Cisero if the cat were put to death.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/23/crazy.cat.ap/index.html

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 04:52:07 AM »
Cats carry a large amount of fecal matter in thier feet and mouths.  A cat bite or scratch can end up as a serious infection.  I'd consider killing the damn thing myself.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »
I'd wring it's neck and sue for emotional distress...I love cats and I would be
very upset over having to kill one with my bare hands.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:41:34 AM »
This must be Lewis

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:09:01 AM »
A few animal-rights protesters showed up Tuesday wearing T-shirts in support of Cisero and Lewis.

"They want to kill a cat for a scratch," said Marisa Sampieri of Fairfield, one of the cat's supporters. "These people have to get a life."
Talk about a pot calling the kettle black.

Cats dig around in crap all day.  Their claws do, as Jamis said, carry large amounts of fecal matter.  They lick their paws a lot, too, so it would make sense that they've got poop in their mouth as well.  I've known several people that got nasty infections from cat scratches, and one lady who had to be hospitalized for it.  Cat scratch fever is not just a Nugent song.  I generally don't mind the presence of cats, but if an unfamiliar cat approached me in a threatening manner, I'd have to defend myself with sufficient, if not deadly, force.  I'd be embarrassed to pull out a .45 and shoot a small cat on a neighborhood street, so I'd probably just have to use whatever's available - like a baseball bat.  Cat, meet bat.
For entertainment purposes only.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
...and this is why my cats stay in my house and my dog doesn't leave our fenceline without a leash.  I have absolutely no problem controlling my animals.  Why is it so hard for everybody else?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:55 AM »
Just for the sake of argument- instead of a cat, let's pretend it's a Pit Bull.  Or a Rottie.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE THIS A PITS ARE GOOD DOGS THREAD.  

I'm just throwing out a hypothetical/ people's perception thought.

Let's make this some insane dog.  Would they still be upset?
One day at a time.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 12:21:22 PM »
ma hole, the onl real difference I see is that cats generally can't kill a person, outside the infection.

But if that thing got me, it would simply disappear.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »
But pit bulls ARE good. It's the people that are bad.  

How could I resist? Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
"He attacks from the back," Kettman said Monday. "You never see it coming. He has six toes on every foot, which constitutes a very formidable weapon."
Eugene Riccio, attorney for Cisero and Lewis, said "We're trying to negotiate a fair resolution of the case which will include Lewis' life being spared from the executioner."
They want to kill a cat for a scratch," said Marisa Sampieri of Fairfield, one of the cat's supporters. "These people have to get a life."
Neighbors say they have been terrorized by Lewis, saying the cat's long claws and stealth have allowed the cat to attack at least a half-dozen people and ambush the Avon lady as she was getting out of her car.
Also, he gives out mixed signals," Kettman continued. "He would sidle against you and purr. You bend down to pet him and he'd attack you."
Lewis was put on the antidepressant Prozac, but his owner was worried he became too sleepy, Kettman said.

I read stuff like this, and I wonder if the terrorists realize how much worse they could hurt us by leaving us alone?  Is Fairfield, CT a special magnet of stupid?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
...I want this cat.
You just want to make another pile on E-Bay.  Shipping costs would cut deep, though.

Antibubba, I agree.

I don't know what's more stupid, though: rottie or shottie.  Or hoodie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 07:57:39 AM »
I don't know about any other cat owners here, but mine takes great pains to avoid touching her own crap, and I clean out the litter every day.

As far as dogs and cats running around unattended, I've never had to clean cat crap off of the bottom of my shoes after going for an evening pipe.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:44:58 AM »
Quote from: Devonai
I don't know about any other cat owners here, but mine takes great pains to avoid touching her own crap, and I clean out the litter every day.

As far as dogs and cats running around unattended, I've never had to clean cat crap off of the bottom of my shoes after going for an evening pipe.
You don't think there is still fecal matter in the cat's box?  After that the cat will clean its feet with its mouth.
Cat bites and scratches are easily infected and pretty dangerous.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

client32

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:22 AM »
I've never had to clean cat crap off of the bottom of my shoes
We have a bit of a kitty problem.  They crap in my yard, the neighbors yard, the street, the sidewalk.  At my brothers house, I've even seen one crap on the top of his neighbors roof.

No pet is above being put down if it causes a serious problem.  That said, there are normally other ways to fix the situation.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 06:25:05 PM »
Don't go in the tall grass!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 06:12:41 AM »
cats are somehow related to velociraptors and this attack cat may be the key
LOL the missing link eh?

While I do feel for the owners. (I'm an owner of 2 and between my girlfriend and I we have 6)

All but two are 100% indoor cats. And the two that do get to go outside come in before dark (or at least are dragged in Smiley they also stick around the house.  True fraidycats)

The first time one of my neighbors complained about my cat, it would remain inside for the rest of it's life.

However I also don't understand why one of those neighbors didn't just get a garden hose out and soak Mr. Lewis.
drenching the cat several times would pretty well ensure he would leave you alone.

I'm certainly not condoning the owners inactions.  
I also have to take issue with them giving the thing prozac... that's probably the reason it's turning bipolar.

If it was a one time inccident I would say leave it alone or at least have him declawed.  But since this was consistently taking place. The owners deserve whatever the judgement is.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:37:05 AM »
It can live with me if it can kill squirrels, deer and solicitors....!

Sinsaba

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 07:25:12 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Cats carry a large amount of fecal matter in thier feet and mouths.  A cat bite or scratch can end up as a serious infection.  I'd consider killing the damn thing myself.
Of course I have to ask how it is that after growing up with cats and being around cats most of my life, and yes, being scratched most any day of my life... why have NONE of the scratches EVER become infected?

On the topic in general...

The owner should control the animal or keep in indoors.  As much as I love cats, this one would only get to scratch me once.  After that, if avoidance didn't work the boot would.  It really wouldn't take any more than that.  If I didn't have anything else to do I might take some OC or something to teach it not to attack but to euthanize (sp) it over a few scratches is over reacting (IMHO)

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
Quote from: Sinsaba
Quote from: JamisJockey
Of course I have to ask how it is that after growing up with cats and being around cats most of my life, and yes, being scratched most any day of my life... why have NONE of the scratches EVER become infected?

On the topic in general...

The owner should control the animal or keep in indoors.  As much as I love cats, this one would only get to scratch me once.  After that, if avoidance didn't work the boot would.  It really wouldn't take any more than that.  If I didn't have anything else to do I might take some OC or something to teach it not to attack but to euthanize (sp) it over a few scratches is over reacting (IMHO)
I don't know the answer to that. I was fairly badly bitten by a cat once, and spoke with our veterinarian about it the next day and got a lecture about how prone to tetanus infection cat bites and scratches are. I suppose a lot of people have natural immunities to tetanus, and a lot of people have current (within ten years the last time I heard) vaccinations.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:39 PM »
Theres a lot of truth in the SSS technique

for the uninitiated,

Shoot.  Shovel.  Shut up.