Author Topic: Sweet Coconutty, Chocolatey Redemption!  (Read 926 times)

spinr

Sweet Coconutty, Chocolatey Redemption!
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
Some time back one of the local grocery stores had some of the best mcaroons available in their bakery.  Not mass produced, but scratch made in rather small quantities.  Shortly after I discovered them the store stopped selling them.  It always happens like that, too; find something I really like, and poof it's gone.

I finally took it upon myself to rectify the situation and create my own macaroons.  I made my second batch today.  Oh, jeebus... it's all I can do not to eat them all!  I don't know why I didn't try making these sooner, they're really, really simple and sssooo tasty.

Strange... it just feels so good to have made something so successfully, and yummy!  I just had to share!

Just out of the oven... pre-chocolized.

Chocolized and ready for mass consumption.

Not really pretty, but oh so good.

Cheesy

I've got coconutty-chocolatey residue on my keyboard now...

Did I mention they're really delicious? Tongue

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »
You know it's a cardinal sin to entice us with the pics but not give us the recipe so that we can experience ourselves the wonderfulness you're raving about, right? Tongue

Recipe? Pretty please, with chocolate on the bottom? Tongue
Andy

spinr

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »
Whoops!  Sorry for the omission.

I wish I could say it's my own recipe, but it's a fairly standard one you can find most anywhere; particularly on the package of coconut.

Anyway, here's the one I use:

Ingredients

14 oz. package of coconut (just over 5 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. flour
vanilla or almond extract - about a teaspoon or to taste (I don't like too much almond extract, it overpowers the coconut)
about 8 oz. chocolate for melting - chips work well, semi-sweet or milk chocolate - your preference.

Directions

Preheat oven to 325*

Prepare a greased & floured cookie sheet.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in the egg whites and extract.  Mix until thoroughly combined; you should have a nice wet lump of coconut.  Drop tablespoon sized balls of the coconut mixture onto the cookie sheet.  (Mine are wee bit bigger than that, just shy of golfball size.)  Bake for 20 minutes until the coconut just starts to brown on the edges.  You can let it go a bit longer if you like a toasty, slightly crispy macaroon.  Remove the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely before chocolizing them.  Once cool, melt the chocolate.  You can do it on the stove with the whole double boiler setup if you want, but I just nuke mine for a couple of minutes in my food irradiator.  Once the cookies are chocolized, I place them on a foil lined cookie sheet and put it in the fridge to help the chocolate solidify.  

Bbbuuuttt, gooey chocolate macaroons are quite hard to resist... shocked

Cheesy

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »
Oh goodness, I think I've got all the ingredients already. Must... snack on carrots... resist... The Dark Side... undecided
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks for the recipe.
Andy

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 02:30:48 PM »
You forgot to add [homer]"Mmmm, macarroons...gargle *drool*"[/homer]

And Nightfall, there is no escape. You will join us eventually. It is... inevitable.

Join us!

Join usssss!!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 06:14:01 PM »
Oh goodness, I think I've got all the ingredients already. Must... snack on carrots... resist... The Dark Side...

I'll bet you can't get the image of those carrot sticks covered with coconut flakes out of your mind!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.