Main Forums > The Mess Hall

St Paddy's Day

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ben:

--- Quote from: BobR on March 17, 2024, 05:01:27 PM ---so we will be having the traditional corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and rye bread. Having the rye bread and corned beef already has tomorrow's meal taken care of, Reubens with Russian dressing, because that is what is right.

--- End quote ---

I bought some Wagyu corned beef at Costco (by Snake River Farms from Idaho actually) last week with the intension of making that today, but then I stumbled upon the slow cooker stew, so the corned beef waits in the freezer for another day.  =)

T.O.M.:
We did corned beef and potatoes.  Did the beef in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker, which takes the cook time down to about 1:15 total.  Cup of beef stock, cup of beer, whole head of garlic cut in half, and a quartered onion.  Potatoes I boiled half redskins, then smash-fried in the cast iron skillet.  About as Irish as this German protestant gets.

K Frame:
Given that I'm not Irish (Welsh German, primarily), and don't really do the green thing, I decided to celebrate a bit differently.

I bagged myself a leprechaun with my long bow and then slow roasted it in the oven with sauerkraut.

It was magically delicious!

But, now that we're past St. Rat's ass Day, I'm going to pick up a couple of corned beeves on clearance sale and throw them in the freezer.

BobR:

--- Quote from: K Frame on March 18, 2024, 07:08:36 AM ---Given that I'm not Irish (Welsh German, primarily), and don't really do the green thing, I decided to celebrate a bit differently.

I bagged myself a leprechaun with my long bow and then slow roasted it in the oven with sauerkraut.

It was magically delicious!

But, now that we're past St. Rat's ass Day, I'm going to pick up a couple of corned beeves on clearance sale and throw them in the freezer.

--- End quote ---

I will do the same in the next week or so, keeping an eye on clearance prices. I will use the corned beef for sandwiches. I was kind of disappointed in the corned beef we bought. Bland would be a good word for it. I think I am going to wait for different cuts of meat, like thick London broil, to go on sale and cure them myself.  Nothing wrong with corned beef round.

bob

K Frame:
I've thought about curing my own corned beef a couple of times, but never gotten around to it.

I've done my own bacon a couple of times, once using Alton Brown's wet (Wiltshire cure) and once using a traditional dry salt cure that tied up my refrigerator for the better part of a week +.

If I do it again, I'll do the Wiltshire cure.

Damned good bacon, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version