Author Topic: Survey shows eco-warriors are worst polluters  (Read 1181 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Survey shows eco-warriors are worst polluters
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
Anybodysurprised by this finding.  Do as I say, not as I do, I guess is their motto.

Survey shows eco-warriors are worst polluters
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 13/01/2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/01/13/eagreens113.xml

A survey of travel habits has revealed that the most environmentally conscious people are also the biggest polluters.

"Green" consumers have some of the biggest carbon footprints because they are still hooked on flying abroad or driving their cars while their adherence to the green cause is mostly limited to small gestures.

Identified as "eco-adopters", they are most likely to be members of an environmental organisation, buy green products such as detergents, recycle and have a keen interest in green issues.

But the survey of 25,000 people, by the market research company Target Group Index, found that eco-adopters are seven per cent more likely than the general population to take flights, and four per cent more likely to own a car. The survey found similar trends in France and the United States.

Geoff Wicken, the author of the report, pointed to David Cameron, the Conservative leader, as a classic eco-adopter because despite styling himself as a green warrior he also takes flights in private helicopters and planes.

nico

• friend
Re: Survey shows eco-warriors are worst polluters
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
I'm all for pointing out the hypocrites, but I'd imagine the survey would have reached a slightly different conclusion if it corrected for socioeconomic status (ie: richer people who are more able to fly are probably more likely to be more "environmentally conscious.")

BridgeWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »
Since eco-friendliness has become trendy, I really don't think it's terribly fair to use a self-reported survey to make a generalization like this.  Of course soccer-mommy with her hybrid minivan is gonna report that she is an "eco-warrior", whatever that means. 

But I know plenty of gun owners who self-identify as staunch 2a supporters who think the NRA is "too extreme" and that handguns are only for killing people and therefore no one but cops and soldiers should have them. 

Because of some of my so-called lifestyle choices, I run into a *lot* of very eco-conscious people.  Many of these folks voluntarily abstain from car ownership or a shared car between multiple families, have elaborate composting systems, measure the amount of garbage they generate in constant attempts to reduce it (and they don't generate much), don't use disposable items (oiled cloth for food storage, or glass jars, washable diapers, "paper" towels, feminine products and toilet "paper"), view recycling as a last resort, preferring to not use an item to begin with.  They grow their own vegetables, and what they can't grow they buy locally.  They tend to buy clothing that they or other families like them make.  I do very few of those things, and don't think of myself as an environmentalist at all, but I cannot deny that these folks are zealots who take their self-proclaimed mission very seriously and don't take anything for granted.  Mostly their vacations are backpacking or camping close to home. Although they are mostly anti-gun, they are certainly not sheeple. 

And yeah, they really, really don't appreciate that buying a brand-new hybrid car every year is now considered "environmentalism".   Surveys like this apply to real environmentalists about as much as a survey of "handguns are evil, but don't take my hunting rifle" would apply to the average THR-er.  Most so-called environmentalists are indeed hypocrites, but don't tar all of them with that brush.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
Just sell more carbon indulgences.  AlGore would appreciate it, too.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Like many activists, they don't want you to judge them on what they do.  They just want you to do what they say.  The fact they may not do it isn't a concern.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
its not the "eco-warriors", its soccer moms who can afford that stuff... my boss has an environmentalist friend who is treing to get katie to buy that envirnomentally safe cleaners and stuff. katies remark was "i would buy it if it wern't so expensive."
your right. its not about being envirnomentally safe, its about being trendy. if those companies were really so intent on saving the world they would market the stuff to everyone, not make it a trend product.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
those companies were really so intent on saving the world they would market the stuff to everyone, not make it a trend product.

I think that the fact that the 'green' stuff is more expensive is an understandable part of economics.  You see, I don't think that there are any competitive companies out there that are deliberately anti-'green'.  Just companies that don't care.  If the most cost effective solution happens to be green, they'll go that route, if not, then no.

So in order to be greener than the rest of the pack, they have to pick less economic solutions, componded by them generally being niche products.  Slashing their profit margins in half might still not be enough to have a price competitive product.

And if you don't have any profit margin, then even if you're doing it out of the kindness of your heart you're likely to quickly go out of business at the slightest bump.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
. if those companies were really so intent on saving the world they would market the stuff to everyone, not make it a trend product.

If they were intent on saving the world, they wouldn't exist.  Best "eco-friendly" cleaning products?  Vinegar, baking soda.  I use 'em for almost anything, more because they are less toxic than commercial stuff, and cheaper too.