Author Topic: U.C. Santa Cruz faculty homes fire-bombed  (Read 3491 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
U.C. Santa Cruz faculty homes fire-bombed
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »
Just another day in sunny Santa Cruz:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/04/MNMI124HSI.DTL

(08-04) 04:00 PDT Santa Cruz -- The devices used in two firebombings targeting UC Santa Cruz biologists are similar to some used in the past by animal rights activists, investigators said Sunday.

The bombs were so powerful they were like "Molotov cocktails on steroids," said Santa Cruz police Capt. Steve Clark.

One struck the home of assistant biology Professor David Feldheim on Saturday morning, forcing him to flee with his family. The other exploded just a few minutes earlier, gutting a car parked outside the campus home of a second researcher.

More info at the link.

Comment: I wonder if any of the faculty have had a change of heart about the importance of self defense . . .

Probably not.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Regolith

• friend
Re: U.C. Santa Cruz faculty homes fire-bombed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
I'm not too sure what good being armed would have done them in this specific instance.  In one case, it appears there was absolutely no warning, hence there would have been pretty much no way to stop it.  In the other, it was a parked car and it was unlikely there was anyone near by.  Might help them if they have prior warning, though.

I hope they catch the worthless POS's that did this and string 'em up.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »
What's to say the next attempt to kill biologists isn't something that can be defended against?  It was enough just to flee the burning hosue this time, but will that be all they need to do to protect themselves next time?

If they'll firebomb a house they know to have innocent children inside, what else will they do? 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
ELF and ALF and their Sinn Fein style apologists PETA are terrorists and should be hunted down like the vermin they are.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »
Gitmo time.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
Since the ELF/ALF/PeTA loons tend to be big on eating only "organic" foods and avoiding "chemicals", it strikes me that they would make fine toys and snacks for all the bored big cats and bears in the Zoos they so abhor.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
Just so it's clear I don't advocate illegal wiretaps, calling them "enemy combatants" or any of the nonsense the fed.gov tries to justify by saying the T word.

I just want to see some cops put down the donut, stop fondling their tazers, and actually, you know, do some goddamn police work.

And when these freaks are caught..... Well, firebombing an occupied structure seems like the definition of a death penalty crime to me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
Gitmo time.

How about "Execution, after a proper arrest (including a Miranda process) and trial by a jury of their peers that finds them guilty?"
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
Gitmo time.

How about "Execution, after a proper arrest (including a Miranda process) and trial by a jury of their peers that finds them guilty?"

[pet peeve mode]
Ummmm, no such thing as "jury of your peers" in American jurisprudence.  That's a British concept so that the peasants would not be allowed to sit in judgement of their "betters".  The US Constitution  guarantees "an impartial jury."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmentvi
Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Gitmo time.

So the poor, misunderstood youth can get off on a technicality when the ACLU gives them all the lawyers they want?

No. Gitmo. And waterboarding till they reveal EVERYTHING about ELF and the rest of the terrorist groups. The leaders, the locations. End this sh__ RIGHT NOW.

And no, I am not kidding.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
So the poor, misunderstood youth can get off on a technicality when the ACLU gives them all the lawyers they want?

The 4th Amendment is not a 'technicality'. It's the law.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »

The 4th Amendment is not a 'technicality'. It's the law.

The justice system is a sick joke.

The criminals get off on technicalities, or are "good boys who are turning their life around".

The victims get punished.

If the victims defend themselves, they get sued by the perp's deadbeat family.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:26:46 PM »
Molotov's Cocktail on steriods? When I dealt with ALF "people", they were using 1gal milk jugs full of cheap gasoline and 1/2qt of heavyweight motor oil. Just... a big petrol bomb, really.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »
Molotov's Cocktail on steriods? When I dealt with ALF "people", they were using 1gal milk jugs full of cheap gasoline and 1/2qt of heavyweight motor oil. Just... a big petrol bomb, really.

In this state, preventing an act of arson is justified use of deadly force.

Someone lighting up a rag on a bottle and preparing to throw it at your home strikes me as one of the only instances where I think it'd be justifed to empty an entire rifle magazine, reload and do it again, even. That's not just assault, that's an attack.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
Are we talking about the same America here? IIRC only 18% of all US court cases end in acquittals.

No, 'they didn't Mirandize him' is not a technicality. It means it is possible the suspect was possibly not given information on the full implications of his confession.

No, 'we waterboarded the witness' is not a technicality, it means that you tortured testimony out of someone. A suspect.

Let me put it to you in a simple, straightforward fashion:

The US Justice is system is not a 'sick joke'. It's a beautiful construct, created by the labor of hundreds of attorneys and judges working for centuries upon centuries (including those British judges who created the common law).

Go back to the  writing of the Founding Fathers, and you will find that one of the issue of greatest concern to them, when writing the Constitution, was the preservation of a fair trial by jury.

What makes Western Civilization - and specifically America - great is the presence of the adversarial judicial system, deliberately weighted to defend the suspect from the prosecution and the police.

Eliminate this system for domestic arson suspects - and the operating word is suspect -and you will eliminate the very basis of what makes America a uniquely free country.

Now, I am not defending ELF or ALF or any other arsonist or bomb-builder. These people, when properly convicted in a fair trial should be punsihed justly for their acts of evil, or, if spotted during the act by citizens, shot dead.

I am defending the ancient system of a honest, fair, adversarial trial by jury.

Let me remind you how important the system is: the act of  'depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury' was one of the reasons why the Colonists took up arms against the British.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
The founding fathers never foresaw sleazy lawyers and bleeding-heart liberal judges.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
Manedwolf

Don't get me wrong! I was NOT justifying the actions of arsonists or those who would endanger others in any way - I was simply stating that they were using nothing more than big petrol bombs.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
The founding fathers never foresaw sleazy lawyers and bleeding-heart liberal judges.

You THINK?

Many of the Founders were themselves lawyers and were very well aware of the stereotypes of the profession - jokes about the sleazyness of lawyers were told in the age of Cicero.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
Manedwolf

Don't get me wrong! I was NOT justifying the actions of arsonists or those who would endanger others in any way - I was simply stating that they were using nothing more than big petrol bombs.

Oh, I know, I was just specifying what the law is here. I don't know if it's the same in CA. If someone is about to firebomb or otherwise set fire to an occupied building, you ARE allowed to shoot them till they stop being a threat.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
I'd be shocked if all fifty states don't have such a law - fire spreads too easily for people to think it's harmless.