Author Topic: U Haul vs Penske  (Read 6512 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
U Haul vs Penske
« on: May 09, 2006, 06:14:45 AM »
I'll be moving the future wife 135 miles this summer and I checked the rates between U Haul and Penske for a 26' truck.

Uhaul $209 (unleaded fuel)

Penske w/ AAA discount $527 (diesel fuel)

I'm trying to figure out why the price difference is so high? I know the gasoline one will have worse mileage but enough to warrant the price difference?

I read in another post people bashing U Haul but I have had great luck with them on two past moves I have made.

Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 06:17:44 AM »
I've used both.  Uhaul's trucks were always ragged out pieces of junk. The Penske trucks were always nicer and seemed to get better maintenance.  For a cross-town move, I'd go by price, but for a 135mile move, it *might* be worth the additional money to go with the better truck.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 06:24:26 AM »
I'm with mtnbkr on this one.  All the U-Hauls I see around here look to be in worse shape than the Budgets, and don't even compare to the Penskes.
I drove a U-Haul a couple of years ago McMinnville, OR to Albany, OR.  Pretty rough truck, but it got me there.
I would not have wanted to make an earlier trip from Hillsboro, OR to Austin, TX in one.  Drove a Budget (ex-Ryder) for that one. It was okay.
Drove a Penske from Colorado Springs to McMinnville, OR one year.  Nice truck.  More expensive,  but the only thing available on short notice.  It was in real good shape, drove well, and I had no worries about it.
Driving a U-Haul in three weeks from Albany, OR to Lebanon, OR.  Only 15 miles, so I'm willing to risk it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 06:31:25 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
I've used both.  Uhaul's trucks were always ragged out pieces of junk. The Penske trucks were always nicer and seemed to get better maintenance.  For a cross-town move, I'd go by price, but for a 135mile move, it *might* be worth the additional money to go with the better truck.

Chris
The 135 miles is 75 % 55mph on Hwy 30 (Lincoln Highway) remainder being a few miles in town and 65mph divided highway. Pretty level road since is on the southern edge of the Des Moines Lobe before the terminal moraine.

My bad U Haul experience
The last U Haul I drove was pretty shitted out (26' truck) and drove it 95 miles pulling my Mustang GT on a car trailer. It sucked but only truck option I had in that part of the state, top speed I could drive safety was 45mph without the front end being too squirrelly, also seemed like it didn't have a "road gear" because the rpm of the engine was pretty damn high for highway speeds. If I had to do it over again I probably would because it was only about two hours drive time, it woudl have sucked cross country. I used 34 gallons of fuel for that trip too.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »
I've rented several UYank trucks over the years, and I've never had one that was overtly unsafe.

I helped move a friend nearly 300 miles some years ago. The U Yank we got looked like it had been state of the art in '80...

But it got us where we needed to go. We did pick up a nail in the one tire but were able to limp the last few miles (inside right dualie). We called the service number and started unloading the truck. By the time we were about half done the service guy was there, patched the tire, and we were back in business.

I'd rent a U Yank again no problem, especially if confronted with a price differential like that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:11:51 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr

Chris
Ditto.  I'm surprised the price difference is that much.  I priced out for October, and Penske was $150 more ($1650 vs $1500) for the diesel vs. Uhauls gas truck.  
The only advantage to Uhaul is the overhead storage area.
However, I differ from mtbker on this one a bit.  At that price difference, and its only a 135 mile drive, I'd just take the Uhaul.  
That said, I have serious problems with Uhaul's reservation system.  They make no gauruantees.  I was suppossed to pick up a truck for an intown move on a friday night return saturday night.  At the last minute they wouldn't let me pick it up until Saturday morning and I had to return it prior to 3pm to avoid being charged additional costs.  They certainly aren't my favorites...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »
Ryder doesn't make guarantees, either.

I almost pulled a guy through the window slot at the Ryder dealership when the ex and I were trying to move the hell out of DC.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

m1911owner

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »
Around here, the mileage rate for Budget is about half that of Uhaul's, with the same basic rental rate.  And the Budget trucks seem to be in better condition.

When we moved a few months ago, there was a 10% off coupon for Budget trucks in the post office's "Change of Address" packet.  (Come to think of it, I think I did the CoA online, and there was a printable couple there, plus a printed coupon in the confirmation packet UPSP sent me.)

wmenorr67

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »
How many miles do you get with each carrier and then what is the charge for any overage?  That could make a big difference at the end of the game.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »
Quote from: wmenorr67
How many miles do you get with each carrier and then what is the charge for any overage?  That could make a big difference at the end of the game.
U haul is 162 miles and have the truck for 2 days

Ryder is unlimited and have the truck for 2 days

Uranus is a gas giant.

DrAmazon

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 09:59:15 AM »
I believe that Penske has far more roadside support, including helping you unload and reload a truck if it breaks down on you.  I know from mechanics that Penske invests far more into maintenance of vehicles.  

When I moved short distance 3 years ago I used a Uhaul.  It was so far out of alignment that my arms were sore from trying to keep it on the road.  Never again...

Last summer I used Budget.  The price was less than Penske, and I think less than Uhaul too.  My mechanic friend who drove for me refused to take the risk of driving a UHaul across the country.
Experiment with a chemist!

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
As above, Uhaul's trucks are usually not in the best of condition. Where they really nail you is in additional costs. Reserved their $29.95/day 26' truck for a 50 mile move; come moving day, they didn't have the big truck, all I could get was a 20'er. This required multiple trips and the $29.95/day ended up costing $185. with excess mileage and fuel cost (I swear that thing only got 4-5 MPG).

crt360

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 12:05:27 PM »
Uhauls aren't great, but I'd go with one if it was that much cheaper.  I used them about four times in the last ten years and didn't have much trouble.  The trucks are usually pretty dinged up so be sure you do a good walk around and write all the dents, holes, scratches, etc. down so they don't charge you for them.  Don't let them rent you an old POS.  About ten years ago I was helping my brother move.  We went to pick up the truck he had rented and it had to be the oldest running truck in the Uhaul fleet.  It was a late-60s or early-70s Ford with 3-on-the-tree, bald tires and almost no brakes.  WTF?  It was at least 20 years older than the other trucks on the lot.  Apparently they were all spoken for, so we took the relic.  It's age and condition seemed to inspire some abnormally comic driving in my brother.  Watching him toss it around the city like the police were after him was almost worth giving up a Saturday for.
For entertainment purposes only.

Marnoot

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »
Where they really nail you is in additional costs. Reserved their $29.95/day 26' truck for a 50 mile move; come moving day, they didn't have the big truck, all I could get was a 20'er. This required multiple trips and the $29.95/day ended up costing $185.
I suspect many U-haul locations to be guilty of bait-and-switch tactics for just this reason. My brother and I moved recently and we had the same thing happen, we reserved a truck large enough to do it all in one load. Upon arriving the only truck available was much smaller, necessitating three round-trips. I've know of many others who have had the exact same experience and I'll be hesitant to give them any of my money in the future.

JAlexander

• friend
U Haul vs Penske
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:52 PM »
From what I understand, the trick with Penske is to catch one of their specials.  Apparently they run various special deals fairly often, and if you get one the price goes down by half or more.  That said, for the price difference you mentioned, I'd look around and see what else you could get.  One thing I wouldn't do is give U-Haul any of my money.

James