Author Topic: U-verse  (Read 1472 times)

zahc

• friend
U-verse
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
When it comes to internet, U-verse is the only game in town for my neighborhood. I have no interest in the TV or voice aspects of U-verse, or the large monthly bill. I just need internet tubes.

ATT offer their plain 'high-speed internet' service, which they insist is not DSL, but you can only get it if you have already had a U-verse installation performed. This is because, they insist, they have to do something different to the phone lines to install U-verse. Whatever. So I had ATT install U-verse, then canceled my service after 1 month and subscribed to ATT high-speed internet.

As far as I can tell, the way U-verse (and thus the normal high-speed internet) works is that ATT runs fiber to the neighborhood node, then hooks up individual subscribers to the fiber node via DSL lines running to the fiber node. I really don't think ATT has special 'better than DSL' DSL. They must be using a standard DSL protocol. So in terms of how my house hooks up, I basically have DSL.

However, ATT insists that "U-verse is not DSL". When the U-verse guy came to install U-verse, he did *SOMETHING* to my phone lines. The guy had to fiddle with the phone wires somehow or other. My hunch is that he was just bonding two pairs together to double the copper going from my house to the fiber node, but that's just a guess.

Anyway:

I want to move my wireless 2Wire router from the closet where the phone line comes in, to a more central location in the house. I have a POTS extension available in the new location. Can I just plug in my 2Wire router to the POTS extension? I doubt it, because I assume the ATT installer did something to the jack my wireless router is currently plugged into.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: U-verse
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
Never heard of U-verse, but the jack probably has a filter on it to keep out crosstalk between the modem and the phones.   Run CAT3 cable from the existing (already filtered) modem jack to wherever you want to put the modem.   You can also use CAT5 is you have that already or it's cheaper than CAT3.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
I switched from AT&T DSL to Uverse a few months ago. Nobody came out to do anything. I "self-installed." It was just a gateway that replaced my old modem and router. Plugged it in to the same old phone jack - done.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »
I don't work on the premises side but from what I understand everything inside your house should be pretty much unchanged from the old DSL set up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
I switched from AT&T DSL to Uverse a few months ago. Nobody came out to do anything. I "self-installed." It was just a gateway that replaced my old modem and router. Plugged it in to the same old phone jack - done.
Any difference in speed or cost? I have AT&T DSL, but U-Verse TV isn't available in my area, but U-Verse Internet is, and it's not clear what the difference - if any - is. Listed U-Verse prices and speeds are no different from DSL, so it sure looks like another name for the same thing to me.

As for fiddling around with wires, my guess is some sort of filter was installed. When I switched from dial up to DSL a few years ago, my AT&T installation kit included a DSL modem and several filters to plug in between my phone and the jacks. I also had to get a Z-Blocker for my alarm system (Hint: BIG differences in price for this gizmo - shop around if you need one.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
I had been a satisfied customer of AT&T's regular DSL service for many years, despite the horrible crappy modems (2Wire brand) they provided which continually had to be replaced. Was paying about $25 monthly, and the service was reliable. A couple months ago, I moved about a mile across town and was informed that AT&T was no longer providing standard DSL at my new address, and to switch over, I would have to sign up with "Uverse". This would include a 12 month rebate on the normally $45 or something service price, bringing it down to $30 or something for 12 months... in addition to which, I would have to pay $100 for a new modem. I was not happy that I would not be able to use my old modem and simply switch service to my new address. But being a loyal and satisfied AT&T customer, I decided $100 for a new modem wasn't the end of the world, and I'd reevaluate my options in 12 months when the pricing expired. But then they wanted to charge me a $50 installation fee. I tried to explain to them how absurd it was that they were asking a long time internet subscriber to pay $50 just to have the privilege of continuing service with their company, especially since I was already paying them $100 for a new modem (which is something they have traditionally provided for free). Switched to Charter; same $30/month pricing that increases to $45 in a year, but with a $20 installation fee and a free modem. Way, way faster too.

Interesting to hear that they offered you basic DSL, but after Uverse is installed. I was told that basic DSL was simply no longer option in my neighborhood.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:10:44 AM by HForrest »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
same here
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
U-verse is not DSL, but I don't know what it is. I have AT&T DSL and have had it for years. As far as I know, U-verse still isn't available in my corner of the universe, even though AT&T promised that it would be here three years ago. My DSL modem is a 2Wire, and I'm pretty sure if that's what you have, you have conventional DSL.

Interestingly and curiously, AT&T DSL service has four speeds offered, but not all are available in all areas due to (street) wiring and distance from a central station. The last time I had problems and dealt with AT&T technical "support," I was told that the level of service I have had since I signed on is not available in my area and that I can't possibly be getting the speeds I get.

Right ... Thanks, "Richard" in New Delhi.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

Interestingly and curiously, AT&T DSL service has four speeds offered, but not all are available in all areas due to (street) wiring and distance from a central station. The last time I had problems and dealt with AT&T technical "support," I was told that the level of service I have had since I signed on is not available in my area and that I can't possibly be getting the speeds I get.

Right ... Thanks, "Richard" in New Delhi.

Exactly what Frontier said to me last month about my DSL, which went from 7 to 3 MB down overnight.  'We don't show that your address was ever capable of more than 3 MB down'.    ;/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
Run CAT3 cable from the existing (already filtered) modem jack to wherever you want to put the modem.

If that was feasible, I wouldn't be moving the modem at all. I would just run cat5 ethernet from the modem to my living room.

There happens to be a POTs extension outlet in my living room already. If I can plug the modem in there, the problem is solved. The phone lines are already run through my walls.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
With uverse they have to run the main lines directly to the uverse modem, then backfeed the phone service from the modem.  No, it is not DSL.  With DSL the signal was piggybacked into the regular phone service feed.  Uverse is a unique service that carried everything digitally.  The uverse modem handles the phone service like a mini VOIP setup.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »
Any difference in speed or cost? I have AT&T DSL, but U-Verse TV isn't available in my area, but U-Verse Internet is, and it's not clear what the difference - if any - is. Listed U-Verse prices and speeds are no different from DSL, so it sure looks like another name for the same thing to me.

As for fiddling around with wires, my guess is some sort of filter was installed. When I switched from dial up to DSL a few years ago, my AT&T installation kit included a DSL modem and several filters to plug in between my phone and the jacks. I also had to get a Z-Blocker for my alarm system (Hint: BIG differences in price for this gizmo - shop around if you need one.)

I have at least twice the speed; lower cost. I don't know what the DSL speed was supposed to have been, or if it may been limited by the 8-year-old modem, but it was pretty slow before I switched over.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"