Author Topic: Type 03 FFL response time  (Read 3001 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Type 03 FFL response time
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
http://www.classicfirearms.com/mosin-nagant-rfile-by-the-crate

Sweet Jesus! [drool]

Why is there not a drool smiley?  :'(

Looking around online it looks like less than a month ago they were about $1,000 less. :'(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:11:18 AM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:50 AM »
Well...

I'm going next week to pick up a crate.

:-)

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
I think AIM has them too, but for pick up only.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
http://www.classicfirearms.com/mosin-nagant-rfile-by-the-crate

Well, perusing that site was a pleasant surprise. Those C&Rs that they list that I also already own have tripled, or more, in price. That's better than a lot of my fund investments over the same time period.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Those C&Rs that they list that I also already own have tripled, or more, in price.
The ones that surprise me in the other direction are the Swiss 1911, K-11, and 96/11 rifles which really haven't changed in price over the last 10 years. A lot less common than the K-31s and a lot better made as well, and thats saying a lot.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
The ones that surprise me in the other direction are the Swiss 1911, K-11, and 96/11 rifles which really haven't changed in price over the last 10 years. A lot less common than the K-31s and a lot better made as well, and thats saying a lot.

Yeah, when I was on my K-31 kick, I remember hearing really good things about the 11s, but couldn't justify the price as a "C&R deal" when I was able to pick up the K-31s for I think $79.99.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Re: Re: Type 03 FFL response time
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

I think a lot of it has to do with the ammo the milsurp uses. If it's a common caliber to America, they'll sell fast, then go up in price faster once the supply dries up.

.308, .30-06, 7.62x54R because it comes in cheap spam cans... etc.

7.5 French, 7.5 Swiss, the Carcano or Mannlicher calibers... when it's a bit more off the beaten path for America, prices stay flatter it seems.

Of course, that's a generalization, there's always exceptions. But with the Swiss ones you mention, if people are going to get into an odd caliber sometimes the cheapest example of that rifle satisfies the desire to have something of that general design from that country, since they don't know how much use it'll ever get. That at least was my thinking on my K31 and why I never bothered with a 1911 etc.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with the ammo the milsurp uses. If it's a common caliber to America, they'll sell fast, then go up in price faster once the supply dries up.

.308, .30-06, 7.62x54R because it comes in cheap spam cans... etc.

7.5 French, 7.5 Swiss, the Carcano or Mannlicher calibers... when it's a bit more off the beaten path for America, prices stay flatter it seems.

Of course, that's a generalization, there's always exceptions. But with the Swiss ones you mention, if people are going to get into an odd caliber sometimes the cheapest example of that rifle satisfies the desire to have something of that general design from that country, since they don't know how much use it'll ever get. That at least was my thinking on my K31 and why I never bothered with a 1911 etc.

Quite good analysis.
I skipped the M95 mannlichers because there was no ammo available for them. Later, ammo became very cheap and very plentiful, but the rifles were gone. I caught the next cycle and bought a M95 carbine when they became available again, but the ammo never re-materialized.
I can see why the M95s don't have much value- pretty expensive to shoot with odd brass and odd bullet diameter (.329").

I'd love to see $5 70-rd bandoliers of 8mm mauser ammo again, but I know its very unlikely to happen.

Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »
C&R prices will vary based on both ammo and commonality of a given firearm.

The Czech VZ-52 SHE rifles were dirt cheap when cases of steel-cased 7.62x45 were being imported alongside the guns.

Then both the ammo and guns thinned out as the importers sold everything they had.

Now, the ammo is rare as hen's teeth, and I've got a side business going making reloadable 7.62x45 brass on my mini-lathe.

It's basically cyclical in nature, as the import scouts find caches and then sell out. 

In the early 2000s, genuine, non-Fibbs No5Mk1 Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbines were commanding a decent price, because it had appeared they were all in private hands, with no more coming in surplus.

Then the import scouts found a cache in Malaysa, left over from WWII British operations in Burma.  All of a sudden, you could get a nice Jungle Carbine, albeit with some additional varnish on the wood, for less than $300!

That deflated the prices of all Jungle Carbines for a while, until the Malaysian cache also dried up. 

Surplus 174gr Greek .303 ammo was also flooding in, and eventually sold out.

And so it goes.

After the fall of the Iron Curtain, a bunch of Soviet-held Mausers, Walthers, and Lugers started coming in.

These were guns that were captured in the disastrous German winter offensive of Stalingrad, when Hitler left Paulus' 6th Army to wither on the vine. 

The Soviets collected the K98k Mausers, P-38 Walthers, and P-08 Lugers and sent them back for refurbishment in the event they needed them for another German offensive.

The Lugers even saw VOPO usage in East Germany for years afterwards.  (Mine is so marked)

These imports brought prices down again, but not so much on collected firearms because of the obvious Soviet refurb/refinish.

You could get a shootable 1918 DWM Luger for cheap, but it would be re-blued, have Cyrillic numbers stamped in the frontstrap, and wear black ribbed plastic grips.

The K98k Mausers were similarly refinished, with really nice laminated stocks, matte bluing, but missing the guard screws for the actions.  (Easily lost or dropped by cold Soviet hands?)

That cache sold out fairly quickly, too.

The K-31 Schmidt-Rubins were actually quite surprising, because they came in over a longer period of time. 

I never bought one, because I have a gorgeous full-length 1911 rifle stocked in what looks like French Walnut.  The later K-31s just never appealed to me aesthetically.

The surplus ammo and those cardboard/metal chargers flowed freely for quite some time.  Again, I didn't partake because I had a stash of Norma 7.5x55 ammo and brass, plenty for my own rifle.

Then there was the Swedish Mauser invasion.  Again, prices low as they were coming in, then they dry up and prices climb.

Blue Sky Garands?

Russian and Bulgarian Makarovs?

Czech CZ-52s?

Nepalese Martinis?

Austrian Straight-Pull Mannlichers?

Argentinian Ballester-Molinas?

They all show up in waves, then dry up.  Prices vary accordingly.

I don't really expect Mosin Nagants to dry up for a while, though. 

They made so damned many Noisy Magnets that they're probably being used for tomato stakes over there still. (Another gun I never took a liking to, but we all have our tastes...)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
The K98k Mausers were similarly refinished, with really nice laminated stocks, matte bluing, but missing the guard screws for the actions.  (Easily lost or dropped by cold Soviet hands?)

My understanding is that the guard screws and front sight hoods were seen as unnecessary and were melted down as scrap.
Seems it would take a lot of K98s to fill even a 5 gallon bucket of guard screws though.

Barack Obama

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 06:41:51 AM »
Conscript labor is cheap.
Look, tiny text!