Poll

Is Edward Snowden a criminal, or a hero?

This guy is a true blue hero
26 (44.1%)
Criminal.  He violated his Top Secret clearance
1 (1.7%)
It's still Fistful's fault
8 (13.6%)
All 3
24 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?  (Read 54499 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
Fair enough.  But holding the agency responsible for executing its mission within constraints applied to it, to the extent of constraints applied to it, by those responsible for creating those laws (congress) and directing the agency (executive branch) is not the correct way.  People said ZOMG terrorism, help us, continued to elect the folks who cotrol the budget and direction, and now are blaming others for the result.  

The problem still exists as a wheat/chaff problem, with the chaff being the lawful comms of US citizens.  Unfortunately, the bulk of -global- traffic goes through the US, be it merely as data routed straight through, or served/cached/operated on by US commercial entities along the way, and as such, is mixed with our traffic.  BY DEFINITION, even attempting to discriminate between foreign and domestic traffic requires "monitoring" (as the term has been extended in this case) of source/destination metadata.  
And therein lies the rub--it is IMPOSSIBLE to lawfully select out legal (eg foreign) data WITHOUT observing the metadata of domestic traffic.

In the past, when communications weren't pocket switched, over terrestrial fiber, such discrimination were possible without observation of domestic metadata, but the very nature of modern communications makes it impossible to do so now.  

Again, I return to my point regarding metadata--without observation of the metadata it is impossible to even divide the data into "okay to observe" (foreign) and illegal (domestic), so the very nature of our modern communications have created a defacto situation of either observing all of the metadata or none of it.  As the latter makes the probability of success zero, the best and most privacy respecting method is to observe the legally allowed level of metadata, if only to -prevent- the observation of private data.

If you eliminate the ability to observe source/destination, how can you possibly determine which data is legal or not.  So when calling for zero government observation of metadata, you are in effect stating that you would rather have zero intelligence gathering on communication of foreign sources, than to have that metadata be used to prevent monitoring of domestic communications and allow for appropriate targeting of observation-allowable data.

Blame IP and packet switched networks if you must, but that is the genesis of this problem.

Yep. A good number of Americans do act surprised when they demand X, and get the obvious consequences of it. Tis why some of us tried to be the voice of reason. "Your bath tub is more dangerous than Al Qaeda", "Old people driving have killed a hundred times as many folks as all terrorists combined.", "You people wanting to give Bush all this power are gonna be REAL pissed when the next President uses it against YOU.", etc

As Captain Malcolm Reynolds, it's a real burden being right so often. The right answer is to objectively assess situations and respond according. We both know THAT ain't ever happening, politically. So smarter bureaucrats should do their best to appease the guineafowl, while actually trying to take care of the problem in a way that doesn't create worse problems. A rogue intelligence agency, hostile to the population supporting it, is a worse problem. Like a rogue military unit or government agency, things can go off the rails in very short order for the best of intentions. Thankfully that's rare here in the US. We can only keep it that way through eternal vigilance.

There is "we try very hard to only collect foreign material, and dump any US citizen comms immediately and permanently" and
"We use metadata ONLY to make sure we are complying with the law and not spying on you by accident." And then there is "We are intentionally targeting US citizens".

Putting a pen register on the entire country, or at least Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, is not likely to be accidental collection or to use metadata for filtering purposes. It's systematic targeting of the citizenry footing the bill. That's a Real Bad Idea. If illegal, it must be punished. If "legal" under federal laws, it's certainly not under the 4th Amendment and should be correctly identified as such in very short order. I can think of near zero circumstances where a judge should sign a subpoena for the call records of our entire country and not be immediately removed from office. Metadata is already given the lowest form of legal protection under the law and judicial process. However, "lowest" is not "none", and should never BE "none".

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. (Incidentally, they do serve beer there, in case folks were wondering. Some very attractive young ladies too.) I honestly do think most NSA folks think of their mortgage and career first, but are very decent persons. That's all Americans. The brass are being paid the medium bucks to use good judgment when deciding strategic moves. Good brass knows how to interpret orders in a way to avoid really stupid and/or illegal activities.

I and most Americans would be fine with risky data being collected by the NSA in order to prevent Real Bad Things, provided there was extremely strong oversight to ensure things didn't go Full Retard. It is strongly looking like NSA went 3/4th Retard. Probably not Full Retard, but we don't know and we're told we can't ask. Other hand is valid lack of trust. Respectfully, POTUS, Congress and intel folks don't have a lot of credibility when they say "Trust us, everything is peachy."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Well said Cap'n Tightpants.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
Rev, I think you miss my point.
Lets say you wanted a pen register of -only- non-domestic communications...how do you determine which calls ARE non-domestic, without looking at the metadata?

The whole point here is in order to do ANY filtering, you need to look at the metadata of all the inputs on the channel.

So, by definition, if you want to look at any content in a channel, you either have to look at the content of everything, or filter based on something, then look at the selective content.  Given the former is by definition illegal, the remaining choice is either filter based on something (domestic / non-domestic) or don't look at anything at all.

My whole point is to ensure ANY privacy, you have to look at some metadata on the entire channel--for the simple reason that due to how the data is moved, there is by definition a mix of data that you want and can get (non-domestic) and data you don't want and can't legally get without a warrant (domestic).  Therefore, if you want to protect the protected data in any way, you need to have some way of telling it apart--hence, the routing metadata.

Why doesn't anyone seem to get this? 

You all say you don't want the govt looking at US citizen information, and yet are opposed to the only way to determine IF its US citizen data, and therefore are de facto saying "zero collection of foreign information".

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
how do you determine which calls ARE non-domestic, without looking at the metadata?
Non-domestic communication typically takes place through bottlenecks for which the NSA already has real-time monitoring capabilities.
The whole point here is in order to do ANY filtering, you need to look at the metadata of all the inputs on the channel.
Do you contend that the metadata in question is used exclusively for excluding domestic communication from analysis?
You all say you don't want the govt looking at US citizen information, and yet are opposed to the only way to determine IF its US citizen data, and therefore are de facto saying "zero collection of foreign information".
The companies in question are quite adept at determining the international nature of their communications.  If the US government were actually interested in obtaining only international communications from a domestic telecom provider such as Verizon, they could have easily requested that specific subset of the data.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Non-domestic communication typically takes place through bottlenecks for which the NSA already has real-time monitoring capabilities.
Do you contend that the metadata in question is used exclusively for excluding domestic communication from analysis?
The companies in question are quite adept at determining the international nature of their communications.  If the US government were actually interested in obtaining only international communications from a domestic telecom provider such as Verizon, they could have easily requested that specific subset of the data.

Cordex, not that simple. US citizens travel, live and communicate outside the US. It is extremely complex. Mind boggling complex, actually. I'll need an hour to properly respond to birdman, but short long, he has a very good point that it's not exactly trivial. My own point, which is a compliment to the same issue, is that there is a difference between accidental and targeted surveillance.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2013, 10:02:38 AM »

Not true

Don't know.

The companies in question are quite adept at determining the international nature of their communications.  If the US government were actually interested in obtaining only international communications from a domestic telecom provider such as Verizon, they could have easily requested that specific subset of the data.

Not quite.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
Rev, I think you miss my point.
Lets say you wanted a pen register of -only- non-domestic communications...how do you determine which calls ARE non-domestic, without looking at the metadata?

So, by definition, if you want to look at any content in a channel, you either have to look at the content of everything, or filter based on something, then look at the selective content.  Given the former is by definition illegal, the remaining choice is either filter based on something (domestic / non-domestic) or don't look at anything at all.

My whole point is to ensure ANY privacy, you have to look at some metadata on the entire channel--for the simple reason that due to how the data is moved, there is by definition a mix of data that you want and can get (non-domestic) and data you don't want and can't legally get without a warrant (domestic).  Therefore, if you want to protect the protected data in any way, you need to have some way of telling it apart--hence, the routing metadata.

And this is one of the reasons why this isn't an easy question.  Especially since the MetaData IS the data we're worried about.  They might be able to use the data to screen for forign coms, then dump the domestic coms before applying any analysis to the domestic data.  There might be other ways to protect Americans from this snooping.  Heck the NSA MIGHT even be using them, they sure aren't saying in any detail enough to be trustworthy.

But none of that changes the fact that the info that is available from analysis of the metadata shouldn't be collected on Americans by our government.  Even if that government thinks it's legal.  Yes, that might lead to less useful intel getting collected.  That's the cost of being free.  And like Rev mentioned, you have to prioritize threats to Americans.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
Having read a number of books on the NSA over the years, if I am recalling correctly, in the ECHELON program, the NSA or other US agencies would get around domestic spying prohibitions by having the UK or one of the other member Commonwealth programs do it.  I wonder if PRISM is more or less an extension of earlier programs such as ECHELON.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Cordex, not that simple. US citizens travel, live and communicate outside the US. It is extremely complex. Mind boggling complex, actually.
I get that, but the issue here is not so much "Oops, we accidentally included in our analysis a phone call made by a US citizen from a payphone in Dresden to his mom in Kalamazoo!"  It is that going to US telecom providers and hoovering up everything is changing the focus from non-domestic spying to domestic spying.
My own point, which is a compliment to the same issue, is that there is a difference between accidental and targeted surveillance.
Right.

Edit:  I should also point out the flip side of the "you need metadata to filter out citizen communications" argument.  Metadata does not determine who is actually using the phone.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:58:05 AM by cordex »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Also, something to consider.

Nearly ALL foreign data (voice or otherwise) goes through the US (I.e. Europe to Japan goes through here), unless both the source and destination are geographically and network topologically local to each other--the US is effectively the choke-point for the world.  Once it hits the shore, its over US telco lines, meaning its now mixed.  If someone in England makes a call to Japan, that calls data is likely on the same line as someone making a call from NYC to LA.  So how do you tell them apart without "monitoring" the metadata?

Also, people keep referring to phone calls and data as two separate things, in the vast majority of cases, they aren't, its all put over the same data lines and the metadata/framing/etc determines what is the type of content. 

Also, ID of something being non-domestic is harder than you think for most data.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »
Quote from: birdman
My whole point is to ensure ANY privacy, you have to look at some metadata on the entire channel--for the simple reason that due to how the data is moved, there is by definition a mix of data that you want and can get (non-domestic) and data you don't want and can't legally get without a warrant (domestic).  Therefore, if you want to protect the protected data in any way, you need to have some way of telling it apart--hence, the routing metadata.

I get it; it's just hard to discuss.  Because the difference between just filtering on the metadata and analyzing it is subtle.  The only legitimate reason to look at all the data is to decide whether to discard it or keep it.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
The only legitimate reason to look at all the data is to decide whether to discard it or keep it.

You actually think they discard any data?

Want to buy a bridge?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
Just like they discard all the NCIS checks within  24 hours.   ;/

You can't do traffic analysis if you are constantly starting from ground zero.   ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
So what you're telling me is that for the NSA to monitor, say, my Internet traffic, they must be able to monitor the traffic of everyone in the world?

I would assume the NSA can, say, plant some kind of software in my computer, or monitor my account with the provider.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/11/crossing-the-line-on-metadata/

Personally, I'll take my chances with the terrorists.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
You actually think they discard any data?

Want to buy a bridge?
Just like they discard all the NCIS checks within  24 hours.   ;/

You can't do traffic analysis if you are constantly starting from ground zero.   ;)

That's the whole point of the controversy.  Or most of it, anyway.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
So how do you tell them apart without "monitoring" the metadata?
It really comes down to a question of who should handle the metadata filtering, doesn't it?  And yes, I realize that the telco won't be as thorough in the data they extract as the NSA, but that's partially the point.
Also, ID of something being non-domestic is harder than you think for most data.
That's probably true in some cases.  The problem is, to catch the smart bad guys who might feed their transmissions through a network that includes multiple bounces within the US, the NSA would have to not merely filter based on metadata, but include everything in the final analyses, and be trusted to filter out domestic data on the backside of that process.

Levant

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
Whistleblower reveals ILLEGAL activity.  He didn't.

He committed espionage.

Espionage only if you accept the premise that the people of The United States are the enemy of The United States. I don't accept that.

Since the 80's we have let the government define what is loyalty and patriotism. Now if you challenge war you are unpatriotic. The patriots who love and stand ready to defend this country are now domestic terrorists.

We don't yet know where Snowden fits yet but I am keeping an open mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
If one follows the 4th amendment and has a specific individual in mind and can get a warrant to present to service providers, there is no need to grab beau coup metdata.  The service provider knows its customers, tracks usage, and sends them a bill already.

Also, enough with the rubberstamp secret courts.  We already have a federal judiciary system.  No need for a parallell kangaroo court. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
If one follows the 4th amendment and has a specific individual in mind and can get a warrant to present to service providers, there is no need to grab beau coup metdata.  The service provider knows its customers, tracks usage, and sends them a bill already.

Also, enough with the rubberstamp secret courts.  We already have a federal judiciary system.  No need for a parallell kangaroo court. 

Warrants are all too TwenCen.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »

If we follow the requirements of the Constitution, the terrorists win.

Also, come on now... The folks at the NSA are pure as the driven snow, and %90 would quit if called on to violate the Constitution! You know, more than they are already of course. We can totes trust them to not abuse the massive, massive amount of data they're collecting on Americans, even in the nationalistic fervor that would surround something the size and scope of 9/11 but committed by domestic folks. Their purity of heart is all the safeguard I need, thank you very much!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Snowden: Hero or Criminal?
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
Espionage only if you accept the premise that the people of The United States are the enemy of The United States. I don't accept that.

Since the 80's we have let the government define what is loyalty and patriotism. Now if you challenge war you are unpatriotic. The patriots who love and stand ready to defend this country are now domestic terrorists.

We don't yet know where Snowden fits yet but I am keeping an open mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Taking classified data and giving it to foreign nationals (eg BRITISH REPORTERS) is f)&$$ing espionage.  There is NO wiggle room there.  He committed a crime, that crime is espionage.  The fact that the American people also saw it doesn't change that fact.
The information he revealed did not reveal -illegal- activity, it revealed technically legal, albeit activity that isn't 'right'.

Don't get me wrong, I wish things weren't monitored the way they apparently are, but dumping classified stuff into the hands of others, not to mention revealing and compromising sources and methods, is NOT the way you do it.

Hell, he could have simply just SAID what was going on to reporters, and it would still be the same crime, but far less damaging (in theory).

He is a criminal, not a hero, and I believe he did what he did to hurt this country, and that's why he fled.  If he wanted to "take a stand" he could have done so in a less damaging way, and take his licks...if he was in the right, then maybe a jury would see it that way, HOWEVER, running to a foreign country isn't "doing the right thing" its called f@$$ing espionage.