Author Topic: Viking Navigation  (Read 1468 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Viking Navigation
« on: December 23, 2023, 07:28:27 PM »
Sun stone and shadow compass.

Pretty short video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWE3fLktT-E
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Viking Navigation
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »
(Note that calcite has long been known to exhbit polarization effects, and polarized plastics are used in some sunglasses.)

Very interesting.  I can see the sunlight's polarization being sensed by the calcite so that in the right direction, equal  polarization of the light on on each side of the sun might be detectable in those grooves to show the sun's direction even through an overcast or even (stretching it a little) with the sun under the horizon.

I wonder how seasonal tilting of the earth might affect this possible effect. But I suspect it could indicate north better than a magnetic compass.  There were probably some area in the Viking's sojourns where North would be straight down -- and magnetic north drifts around quite a bit anyhow.

Great video.  Too bad I don't have my polarized sunglasses any more to explore that polarization possibility.

As a side note, I am always skeptical when someone claims that a device or technique wasn't known or in use "back then."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 08:53:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Viking Navigation
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 08:57:16 AM »
"The great Viking king Olaf possessed a sunstone."

Which Olaf?  There were more than one.

(Currently reading Lars Walker's novel series about Erling Skjalgsson, set at the turn of the first millenium.  Currently on West Oversea, about a voyage in two Viking knarrs to Iceland and Greenland).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 02:18:55 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.