Author Topic: SEIU and Gun Control  (Read 1722 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
SEIU and Gun Control
« on: June 30, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
Maybe I've just missed it, but has the SEIU (and unions in general I guess) always been vocally anti-gun? They appear to have rallied members in union shirts for the Chicago protest this week. I would expect it from public unions like teachers unions, but it seems like SEIU, etc. would piss off many of their members.

While I expect union members to generally vote dem, vote for giveaways, etc., I would think there are still a majority of blue collar union members who fit into "beer drinker, pickup driver, flag waver, gun owner". Maybe the demographics have changed from what I thought they were.

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2016/06/29/we-shall-stop-the-guns-sing-along-captures-energy-of-national-day-of-action-on-gun-violence/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: SEIU and Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »

To clarify, that's actually what I would expect. "I'm union, I want my guns, I'm voting for Obama." These protests are more like, "I'm union, I hate guns, I'm voting for Hillary."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
They don't want to have armed resistance when they go out to intimidate non Union members.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »
They don't want to have armed resistance when they go out to intimidate non Union members.

This.

SEIU is a commie Union. Period.
Hard left.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »
Aren't they the ones that sent a mob to someone's house and they ended up breaking in the front door with the kids in the house?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Aren't they the ones that sent a mob to someone's house and they ended up breaking in the front door with the kids in the house?

Not sure, but they assaulted a guy at an anti-obamacare rally a few years ago. Plus they trashed the Wisconsin capital. And yes I believe they did camp out on Scott Walker's dad's lawn, but didn't do any damage, that I recall. Maybe somewhere else.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
This.

SEIU is a commie Union. Period.
Hard left.

Nailed it.
SEIU is more about making unskilled astroturfing turds than improving anyone's working conditions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
SEIU is not a normal union. As was mentioned, they are a straight up Marxist gang.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »
Interesting about SEIU.  SEIU 1199 is the big healthcare union in Washington state, with just over 22,000 nurses and other healthcare professionals.  They definitely negotiate some very good contracts for the nursing staff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
I've recounted here a number of times my encounters with SEIU and how much I absolutely LOATHE that union.

I have absolutely NO doubt that they are rabidly anti-gun given their political positions (most of which make Marx/Lenin/Stalin look like Reaganites).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 02:56:27 AM »
I am an SEIU member. No choice in the matter. We operate under the "fair share" plan where you may pay extra to gain voting rights, so I joined. This latest anti gun ploy is an embarrassment that continues to reflect their ineffective and deluded representation. I routinely hear about people all over the country getting a better deal than we get and things are much worse in Illinois with our missing budget and royally boned retirement system. It's worse every year. We were just warned of a massive twofold price increase for health care after years of steady increases with little to no wage improvements. They roll over for AFSCME to negotiate our most important benefits and say they're powerless to help when results are poor. All I've seen them do in my decade as a member is to lobby for politicians I don't support, get them elected, and then complain when their chosen one causes healthcare and retirement benefits to degrade, while failing to negotiate a contract that even comes close to compensating for the it all.

They have probably spent more money filling buses with protestors than they ever did working to improve my situation locally. I can't prove that we would be better off without them but they could certainly be doing a better job. Using my dues to help them protest against firearms has jack spit to do with anything but apparently they have nothing better to do. They will be hearing about it.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 06:22:05 AM »
It's important to remember that Wall Street firms and most major banks are anti-gun when considering the evils of unions.  They may support taking your guns but they won't support robbing you of your pay and assets as well.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."