Author Topic: NYC Underwater Subway  (Read 1534 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NYC Underwater Subway
« on: July 08, 2021, 07:36:35 PM »
Seriously - who would need to catch a train so bad that they would wade through this stuff?!? If you go up the stairs, there's taxis and ubers.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/07/08/theres-some-flooding-going-on-in-new-york-citys-subway-system-but-people-are-toughing-it-out/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: NYC Underwater Subway
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
Do they actually think that train is actually going anywhere? Must be AOC's district  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 08:42:54 PM »
Do they actually think that train is actually going anywhere? Must be AOC's district  :facepalm:

This has me confused also but it looks like the trains are still running.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/08/new-yorkers-wade-through-underground-lakes-as-subway-stations-flood/

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
My daughter lives in Queens and works in Manhattan and she has personal experience with the subways continuing to run as the tunnels flood.  Obviously just to a certain point, however.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 08:57:19 PM »
Disgusting
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 10:01:50 PM »
But the Transit Authority has declared that the flooding was "unacceptable" ... so it's all good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »
So what's the voltage on those third rails?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
My daughter lives in Queens and works in Manhattan and she has personal experience with the subways continuing to run as the tunnels flood.  Obviously just to a certain point, however.

Insane IMHO
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »

That's what I was wondering as well. They must be contained/insulated somehow.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
My big take-away from it was that the State of NY is responsible for subway maintenance.

Why the hell is NY State paying for a service that is only localized to New York City?  Must be more of that "privatize gain, subsidize loss" mindset.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 01:05:49 PM »

NYC runs 625 volts DC.

I THINK Washington Metro runs at 750 volts.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »
How many amps?
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 01:08:25 PM »
Haven't found anything about the amperage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »
Here in St. Louis, the electric stuff runs on overhead wires. I don't think that we've lost any tweakers to 'em yet, but I'm not gonna be surprised.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure the NY subways run with the electrical power coming from a third rail. I'm not sure where the ground is -- probably one or both of the main carriage rails.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
Well, I am impressed with their.... persistence.     :O

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 09:32:13 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 12:14:49 AM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »
NYC runs 625 volts DC.

I THINK Washington Metro runs at 750 volts.

It's not the voltage that gets you.  It's the current.  In this case, you drown in the current.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 09:51:50 AM »
It's not the voltage that gets you.  It's the current.  In this case, you drown in the current.

The thought of drowning has always been one of my "worst way to die" scenarios. Drowning in NYC sewer water just takes it to the whole next level.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »
The thought of drowning has always been one of my "worst way to die" scenarios. Drowning in NYC sewer water just takes it to the whole next level.

You don't drown in NYC sewers.  You dissolve.

(ETA: if the alligators don't get you first)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:21:51 AM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2021, 10:09:28 AM »
 ^^^ roffle

After six years of traveling the subways from Queens to Brooklyn and Manhattan, I recall that the third rail was mostly covered over to prevent casual mechanical contact.  There was an open slot for the sliders on the cars to pick up the energy to run them.  The "ground" was the other running rails.  (These had jumpers between the sections of steel rails to allow for better conduction.)

So that's why I posed the question --to ask why flooding didn't disrupt service altogether. Seems strange to me, as well as others.  The total current delivery capacity must be enormous.  And if I may say so, the notion that it's the current-delivering capacity of an electrical system which is dangerous is false without considering the voltages and resistances involved.

The current-delivering capacity of the ordinary car battery is pretty large (+300Amps) but you can lay hands across the battery terminals without ill effect since it's only 12 volts.  Just don't drop a wrench with ~zero ohms resistance across the terminals... that's where the current delivering capacity is dangerous.

2.  With an unknown number of cars running over each set of rails, it would be impossible to figure total current draw without the number of cars and current draw for each car. I do know, from inspectin from the subway platforms, that tht third rail was a pretty substantial hunka conductor.  I imagine the data is available  somewhere on the net, but that doesn't matter in respect to the question as to how come the whole system isn't shorted out.

Maybe it was all distilled water, which is basically nonconductive =D

Most people don't realize that there is an umbilical cord between NYC and Albany.  NYC politics practically runs the State, but many people with vested interests in that umbiical cord remaining uncut would vehemently deny this. (At least that was the situation when I moved out to Colorado mid-last-century.)

I still follow NY affairs, but with about the same level of interest  that I follow Papal matters and British Royalty matters --that is, for the amusement factor alone.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:10:51 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
Wading through water in an NYC subway means wading through the waste of innumerable bums and vagrants along with drugs, bugs, rats, and other stuff that's probably even more disgusting.   [barf]

Wonder what vaccinations are suggested after doing so - tetanus, hepatitis, cholera, typhus . . . probably quite a long list.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »
Wading through water in an NYC subway means wading through the waste of innumerable bums and vagrants along with drugs, bugs, rats, and other stuff that's probably even more disgusting.   [barf]

Wonder what vaccinations are suggested after doing so - tetanus, hepatitis, cholera, typhus . . . probably quite a long list.

I think I would rather take a swim in *expletive deleted*it River. The river between Subic Naval Base and the city of Olongapo, Philippines . I don't need to tell you how it got its name!!!   [barf]

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2021, 01:45:01 PM »
BobR, that's a universal problem of rivers. Friend of mine used to visit India and mentioned that the Ganges was filled with ick, including partially-burned corpses from their hastily-finished and sparsely-fueled funeral services.

Because of the dense packing of people on the subways --and in general --I believe New Yorkers are invulnerable to many diseases because of horde immunity.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Ganges funerals --Internal Graphic Content warning):
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3248208/Where-funeral-fires-forever-burn-Incredible-photos-Manikarnika-Ghats-holy-festival-Ganges-Hindus-make-final-journey-moksha-reach-nirvana.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:04:12 PM by 230RN »