Author Topic: To finish antibiotics on not to finish antibiotics  (Read 5405 times)

zahc

• friend
To finish antibiotics on not to finish antibiotics
« on: August 02, 2008, 05:34:18 AM »
A while back I caught a nasty cold, complete with sore throat. I normally just wait them out, but as I'm prone to ear infections, when my inner ears started to hurt I went and visited my local drug dealer who for a small co-pay of $50 hooked me up with a 10 day, 20 pill run of Augmentin antibiotics.

2 days after, my ears felt substantially better and my sore throat was almost gone.
3 days, my ears and throat felt completely normal, but still had cold symptoms of cought and stuffy nose
4 days, cough symptoms began to subside, sore throat and ears still gone

Now, at 5 days, I feel fit as a fiddle. I just can't see taking antibiotics for 5 more days when I feel fine. Plus, the antibiotics give me the runs, which the doctor said was a possible side effect. This is rather unpleasant.

So, I know people always say "OMG you MUST finish your antibiotics even after you feel better or your brain will splode!!!!" but, why do they tell you to keep taking them for days after you feel better? Is it because they don't want you taking them later without coming in to the doctor and giving them more money for more antibiotics later? Or will my infection really come back if I stop taking them?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: To finish antibiotics on not to finish antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 05:37:56 AM »
It usually comes down to the fact that yes you may feel better but the infection is not completely gone.  Stop taking them and it comes back worse and then you will have to pay for an even stronger antibiotic.  Follow your DR's orders.  He is the smart one here. grin

Plus you don't want to wind up like NED telling us poop stories.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:41:30 AM »
It usually comes down to the fact that yes you may feel better but the infection is not completely gone.  Stop taking them and it comes back worse and then you will have to pay for an even stronger antibiotic.  Follow your DR's orders.  He is the smart one here. grin

This.

Lots of superbugs evolve because people don't finish their antibiotic meds.  The few bacteria that survive because they were already somewhat resistant eventually mutate into a strain that doesn't respond to that particular antibiotic any more.  Not good for anyone, particularly if you spread it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 06:08:17 AM »
+1 to wmenorr67 and Regolith. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:13:59 AM »
NEVER, EVER stop taking antibiotics in the middle of a run.

All you're doing is increasing the chance that your particular bacterial strain will become resistant to Augmentin and any other antibiotics in its class.

It's the over prescription of antibiotics, along with people feeling better and deciding to stop them on their own, that has resulted in the frightening rise of antibiotic resistant infections.

Some bacterial strains are now resistant to every antibiotic that we have, and they're becoming more and more common.

Many of the older "wonder drug" antibiotics are becoming next to useless in fighting infections.

The frightening thing is that there are few, if any, new anitbiotic drugs in the pipeline to combat these infections.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »
+5000 to above posts. MRSA which we've heard alot about in the news, NASTY BUG!. Stands for Methycillin resistant staph areus. It's resistant to methycillin, the original drug-of-choice to treat staph. (Short version of explanation!)

take your damned medicine!!!!!!!!!!

Best.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 06:35:20 AM »
Speaking as someone who actually works in healthcare, I confirm the above: finish taking the entire course of antibiotics.  We see so many patients back in a couple of weeks or a month with a recurrent infection because they did not finish the prescribed amount of antibiotics.  We would really prefer to not have to see you again for the same problem.

And we have all had enough poop stories around here to last us a lifetime.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »
Finish them.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:53:54 AM »
Always finish a course of antibiotics.

When you knock down a fire, would you stop putting water on it when you don't see any more flames, and that's it?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »
If you don't finish your course of antibiotics, we'll have to kill you. It's the only way to be sure the bug does not develop resistance to the antibiotic.   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
If you don't finish all the antibiotics on your plate, you can't have any dessert.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
No, no, stop taking them, you'll be fine....

....until the symptoms come back and the organisms are resistant to that antibiotic, and any others that people have stopped taking like that. See the problem? Evolution and adaptation on a short timescale.  smiley
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
EVOLUTION IS BULL CRAP!

IF HE STOPS TAKING HIS MEDS, GOD CREATES THE NEW MICROBES TO PUNISH HIS SINNER'S ass!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
Of course you get the squirts.  Antibiotics kills gut bugs also.  Eat yogurt featuring live bug and it will go a long way in suppressing the squirts.  Take the entire course.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
Of course you get the squirts.  Antibiotics kills gut bugs also.  Eat yogurt featuring live bug and it will go a long way in suppressing the squirts.  Take the entire course.

Not while taking the antibiotics, though. After you complete the course.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
Every time I take antibiotics I get those really painful tongue zits.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

+1

Finish the antibiotics for the reasons stated above.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton