Author Topic: Unintended Consequences (Orphanages)  (Read 510 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Unintended Consequences (Orphanages)
« on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
Now, as I don't want to fall victim to Gell-Mann Amnesia, I am well aware this article can be wildly mistaken, however:

http://news.trust.org/item/20181114025819-qqbtx/

Millions of children around the world live in orphanages, but child rights experts say most are not orphans.

Orphanages have become a lucrative business in developing countries, attracting generous funding. This has led to the trafficking of children to fill them, according to charities Forget Me Not and Lumos.

So the desire to help the less fortunate leads to the exploitation of children to make them less fortunate.

Reminds me that I need to ensure where my donations are going and who will be administering the aid. Not everyone who is "For the Children!" is doing it for the children. Many are in it for themselves.

Making sure you are helping the situation and not just tossing cash at it to make yourself feel better* is a difficult task.

*See: WIC, Welfare, Foreign Aid, giving to beggars, etc...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Unintended Consequences (Orphanages)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »
.....But throwing money at perceived problems makes self righteous rich people feel better about themselves. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge