Author Topic: Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while  (Read 6871 times)

zahc

• friend
Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »
I haven't had a shotgun since I moved here 2 years ago. Not much use for one, but I'd like to have one for HD and the occasional sporting clays without having to borrow one.

Yesterday I saw on craigslist someone selling "miscellaneous darkroom equipment" for sandwich money. It turned out to be a complete darkroom-in-a-box. I already have a darkroom but I extracted at least the purchase price worth of paper and goodies from it. I repackaged it with a few odds and ends of mine and put it up on craigslist for $150 or trades for vinyl records, tools, or firearms.

I traded it straight for a 12ga. 870 express combo in a nice double case. I shall enjoy my free shotgun very much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:46:27 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Even a blind hog finds at acorn once in a while
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »
You didn't start with a paper clip and end up with a house... but you still did quite well.  Congratulations!

PS:  I'll trade you a paper clip for your 870... =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

myrockfight

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
You didn't start with a paper clip and end up with a house... but you still did quite well.  Congratulations!

PS:  I'll trade you a paper clip for your 870... =D

I remember that story. It was pretty cool. I think he used his story to help him though. I wonder if anyone could ever repeat it.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:42:19 AM »
Damn.

I've been looking for a darkroom setup.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:47:04 AM »
Hey, good for you zahc! Glad it worked out so well for you.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:06:33 AM »
Damn.
I've been looking for a darkroom setup.

Seriously?  They're on Craigslist around here all the time for well under $200.  I sold mine for about $150ish.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »
I still have a bunch of film developing tanks and reels, 35mm and 120, for sale.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
In honor of my fourth anniversary this past week, I must say my wife is an acorn and I the blind hog.  I was just reflecting today, that I got a super-duper wife and a great dog to boot.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »
In honor of my fourth anniversary this past week, I must say my wife is an acorn and I the blind hog.  I was just reflecting today, that I got a super-duper wife and a great dog to boot.   =)

Wow.....your wife is amazing....housebreaking two at the same time....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »
Ladysmith, can you toss a shoe over there for me?   :mad:

Seeker, you are a bad, bad man.   =)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »

Yeah, went for the "wife & dog" package deal, too.

OTOH, never, ever get serious  with someone who insists you give up your pets*.  I dated a gal like that, ONCE.  Sent her *expletive deleted*ss down range after she told the story of making an ex- give up his dog.  Shoulda dumped her harder than I did, just on general principle, but I am a softie at times.

* With certain exceptions.  Venomous reptiles & infants are not good matches. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 03:53:36 AM »
I still have a bunch of film developing tanks and reels, 35mm and 120, for sale.

Is there such a thing as a 110 reel for any of the typical daylight tanks?  I've been picking up some rocketry supplies, and the local hobby shop has one of those 110 camera rockets cheap, (yes, I know there's a digital version that does multiple stills per launch or video, while the 110 only does one shot per launch, but it's the one I grew up wanting) but getting it developed is such a pain that I'd probably be better off to dev and scan it myself.  I can work out some tricks to scan it with the 4490, (probably just taping it into the 120 holder would work) but the 135/127/120 reels wouldn't keep it nicely arranged in the tank for good flow.

zahc

• friend
Re: Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »
I'm not aware of any that fit 110 film. You could probably develop it by sticking it in a tank and stirring vigorously. People develop 8mm all the time in nothing more fancy than a bucket.

The second issue is where you are going to get film. Were you planning on developing using color chemistry? There isn't much 110 available and there certainly isn't any black and white to be had, unless you split some film and reload the cartridges yourself. You'd be stuck with 400 speed color print film. You can develop it in black and white chemistry but what you get is pretty grainy and of course, black and white. Walmart still develops 110 film by sending it to fuji labs; you just have to be patient.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:38:29 AM »
The second issue is where you are going to get film.

Annoyingly, it's easier to get 110 color around here than 35mm B&W.  (Real B&W, that is; everybody has the C41 stuff.)  Three stores have one hanger of 110 each.

Were you planning on developing using color chemistry?

Might as well.  I've been meaning to pick up a few press packs anyway, since I occasionally like to do some color film work, and good local processing places have been dropping like flies.  (Besides which, most of them don't scan at a very good resolution if you get a CD made, so I always end up scanning the negs myself anyway.)

Walmart still develops 110 film by sending it to fuji labs; you just have to be patient.

Being patient with Walmart is not one of my talents.  :mad:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
I'm curious about 110 processing, too.

I have several Minolta 110 SLR cameras, and they were/are a lot of fun, even though they'll never compare to a 35mm in image quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_110_Zoom_SLR

(My camera collection is something else I should thin out...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 06:17:03 AM »
Found a tank/reel set that claims to be 110-capable:
http://www.adorama.com/DKTC.html

Oddly, Adorama doesn't seem to have any 110 film, nor (more oddly) does Freestyle.  One hopes that Amazon is missing something in this product description that would account for the price...though with nothing coming up to compare it to, I'm wondering if I should buy up what's in town, blow the dust off, and eBay it...no, there are a few rolls on eBay going for more normal prices.

Strange, though - I would have expected the lomographic freaks to have kept that market alive and hopping.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
Real B&W, that is; everybody has the C41 stuff.

Ahhh. Ilford HP 5. Some of the nicest film ever made. And really, Tri X, is great stuff. I've pushed it to 1600 and even 2000 with good results.

I am thinking about opening a store that does three things, developes film, rents beta video tapes, and books travel. I figure I can run such a business into the ground pretty quickly!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »
Wait a second: I've been married longer than fistful?!?!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:55 PM »
Congrats Fistful. Glad its working out for you.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »
Wait a second: I've been married longer than fistful?!?!

This surprises you? 

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »
For some reason, I thought you had actually been married for awhile. You aren't even past the break-in phase yet...

We're at 9 years (12 total together). I've got 11 years before I trade her in...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
For some reason, I thought you had actually been married for awhile. You aren't even past the break-in phase yet...

We're at 9 years (12 total together). I've got 11 years before I trade her in...

I get to number 13 on the 18th of this month.  We have known each other for better part of our lives though.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 07:21:28 PM »
Ahhh. Ilford HP 5. Some of the nicest film ever made. And really, Tri X, is great stuff. I've pushed it to 1600 and even 2000 with good results.

I'm too lazy to dig out the negs and figure which ones are which, but most of the B&W in-cave shots from our Carlsbad vacation are a mix of Tri-X 400 and Delta Pro 400 pushed to at least 1600, some to 3200.  Got creative in the development to minimize lost detail, and it seems to have worked. http://kd5nrh.smugmug.com/gallery/5989033_cxvEf

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »
When I feel the need for speed, I just set my meter on 1600 and develop in Diafine for perfectly consistent results. I would do it all the time and just use filters in the daylight if D76 didn't give finer grain and better contrast.
--Tallpine

go_bang

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
York Photo Labs is a good place to get 110 developed.  Look up their website and print out an order sheet and mailing label.  They cost less than Wal-Mart and do a better job too, as their system is so automated.  I think the only time anyone touches your film to once to load it into the machine and again to pick up the envelope of prints and negatives on the other end.