Author Topic: now even Amish gunnies are in trouble in Ill Illinois  (Read 3493 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
now even Amish gunnies are in trouble in Ill Illinois
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Amish-Gun-Owners-Face-Tough-Choice-illinois-photo-requirement-FOID-second-amendment-religious-freedom-117898199.html

New law requires them to photograph their rifles even though the Amish are hardly noted for their criminal activities,  Amish are not supposed to use cameras and they hunt for sustenance.  Criminal politicians don't mind starving families in order to pursue their evil agendas.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: now even Amish gunnies are in trouble in Ill Illinois
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Amish-Gun-Owners-Face-Tough-Choice-illinois-photo-requirement-FOID-second-amendment-religious-freedom-117898199.html

New law requires them to photograph their rifles even though the Amish are hardly noted for their criminal activities,  Amish are not supposed to use cameras and they hunt for sustenance.  Criminal politicians don't mind starving families in order to pursue their evil agendas.

I don't think you read that right.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:16:03 AM »
Just to clarify, the FOID Card (Firearm Owner Identification Card) has a photo of the person, not of any firearms.   If you are an Illinois resident, you have to have a FOID card to possess firearms or ammunition, in Illinois.

In theory, there is no record of what firearms you own.  However the ISP has refused to destroy its Brady Check records. So if you bought something through a FFL or at a Gunshow (yes, Illinois "Closed" the Gun Show loophole, which is why gun crime is non-existent in Chicago  ;/ ), "they" have a record of it.   Anyway where was I.  Oh yeah, FOID Cards and the Amish.

Illinois has a fairly large Amish population both in Central and Southern Illinois (I go and buy several pies from Amish lady each year at deer camp, they are sinful :angel:.)   Previously the Illinois State Police would issue the Amish a FOID without their picture on it.  However, the new ISP director has decided to curtail that practice. 

My guess is that the ISP will back-off the photo requirement, but it will be done very, very quietly, if you read between the last lines:

Illinois state police officials and some state representatives held a meeting last week to discuss the concerns and any possible alternatives. There’s been no word of if, or when the new photo requirement for the Amish will be enforced.

Nobody wants to see the Amish riot in Capitol building.  =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
it might be effective. just think street pie vendors at IGOLD. i might just drive up for that. [popcorn]

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
Amish family outside of Buncombe, IL.  I swear that they save up all the sin in the world and she bakes them into the pies. 

Think "The Charlie Sheen" of pies.

X100,000^100,000

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:27:59 AM »
What kind of firearms do the Amish have, anyway?  I'm guessing muzzloaders, but flintlocks? Wheel locks? Percussion cap?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:06:53 AM »
Nope, quite a few "modern" shotguns (SxS mostly) and "modern" rifles.  By "modern" I mean that they fire shotgun shells and centerfire cartridges, however most are hand-me-hand-me-hand-me-hand-me-downs and probably worth fairly tidy sums.   

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
Although the Amish do not, to my knowlege, go in for filing lawsuits, this is probably a case that the ACLU will take up on their behalf based on the 1A violation being proposed.  The gooberment has a long history of accommodating the Amish, who also have a history of accommodating the gooberment when absolutely necessary (think those "slow moving vehicle" triangles on the back of the buggy).

I had someone suggest that the past flaps over Muslim women insisting that their DL pictures be taken with the face covered is the same as this issue, to which I replied NOT SO!  AFAIK all Amish, even the ones that drive automobiles, do not allow photographs of humans, while the Muslim community is still divided on the face veil thing.  Further, driving is a privilege while SCOTUS has asserted that the keeping and bearing of arms is an individual right.  Between that and SCOTUS' past rulings on 1A/Amish I'm confident that the ISP director will quietly slink away, possibly even to find a new job if he does not back off before the publicity gets too intense.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
hopefully we get a full update when the state backs down!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
The local amish own modern deer hunting firearms
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
I don't think you read that right.

I guess its a new regulation the cops came up with not a new law, it still stinks.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Just to clarify, the FOID Card (Firearm Owner Identification Card) has a photo of the person, not of any firearms.   . . .  Previously the Illinois State Police would issue the Amish a FOID without their picture on it.  However, the new ISP director has decided to curtail that practice.
As odious as the Illinois FOID requirement is, carving out an exception - ANY exception - is even more odious. My preferred solution would be to do away with the FOID requirement entirely, but as long as it's in place, in this very narrow and limited instance, I agree with the ISP director - NO special treatment for Amish.

Or (hopefully) anyone else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Equal Opportunity Idiocy.  Why don't all current FOID holders just claim to be Amish and ask for new blank cards...or just cut the pictures out? Then, get a local reporter to go with you to the local Walmart buy ammo, to demonstrate how Walmart and Illinois hate religious people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
Give them pre-98 antiques, no FOID required. After all, they don't like all that modern English stuff. That or pull a Mormon and migrate. Sell all their Illinois land to developers, become rich, go west and buy an entire state.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »
There are Amish around here in OH. I'm calling BS on their belief system.

They cannot own a car, but it is OK for their English friends to give them a ride? Please.

That is like smoking pot, not actually buying it, and saying that you do not have a problem.

I do not buy anything Amish, period.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
There are Amish around here in OH. I'm calling BS on their belief system.

They cannot own a car, but it is OK for their English friends to give them a ride? Please.

That is like smoking pot, not actually buying it, and saying that you do not have a problem.

I do not buy anything Amish, period.

Well, I guess I have a problem  ;/

They don't deny the modern world exists, they just don't allow it into their everyday lives. Besides, its nice to give people a ride, why do you have an issue with someone accepting a nice gesture?

Besides, how do you call BS on a beleif system? Seriously?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
While I agree that the concept of a permission slip to merely own a firearm is odious, especially given you need to go through a background check just to buy one (OK, there are still some places that have not closed all the loopholes), I note that the exemption for the Amish being photographed has been longstanding and that there is no indication that they are somehow abusing the exemption.  Further, the courts have upheld their claim to protected status in other areas regarding privileges.  And apparently notwithstanding the recent pronouncements of both SCOTUS and TOTUS that keeping and bearing, at least in the home, is a fundamental individual right, the FOID concept continues in a few states.

Now if you can show me an individual Amish who plays fast and loose with "the rules" then I'll call out that person and accuse them of heresy/apostasy.  But just as we decry punishing everyone for the actions of a limited number of individuals, I decry punishing all Amish for the behavior of a few backsliders who apparently are not New Order (the ones that will own/drive automobiles but paint the chrome flat black, use telephones in the house but not the barn, and all sorts of other wierdnesses).

And, afaik, even the Old Order Amish will allow rides in ambulances, modern medicine, and many other things that were not around in the 1700's.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
From what I understand, skid, they actually do a pretty good job of policing their own for such things. Actually, they're pretty harsh.

I would say, if you saw someone behaving badly and felt the ned to call them out for it, then go talk to the elders.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
had amish as neighbors.  they make great neighbors. and are shrewd in business.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
Besides, its nice to give people a ride, why do you have an issue with someone accepting a nice gesture?
You missed my point.

According to their beliefs, they cannot own electricity, cars, or anything that runs on gasoline.

They can and do use these items that are owned by the english.

Not being able to own something, but still using it when it is technically owned by others is hypocritical.

The fact that they avoid paying any income taxes since they are not reporting the cash is also garbage.

Waitresses are getting hit by the IRS for an additional 15% of their salary for tips, even if they actually receive less.

The Amish are having their cake and eating it at the same time.

I have also had several friends who have done business with the amish, and had trouble getting their money.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
So i'm a hypocrite when I borrow a tool from my neighbor? Or is it just big stuff?

Poor folk borrow or are given use of stuff they can't buy all the time. Are they hypocrites?

your arguements are weak, and offensive in presentation.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »
I guess its a new regulation the cops came up with not a new law, it still stinks.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

oooohhhhh photograph themselves-not the rifle!!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
gawd, no matter how clever I think I am I skru up pretty bad some times :'(

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 03:12:54 AM »
Give them pre-98 antiques, no FOID required. After all, they don't like all that modern English stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3lbvtlTbo
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »
your arguements are weak, and offensive in presentation.
Wow, that is too bad.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »
Since we can't play nicely together, this one is closed.

Chris